Insteon HD Camera's snapshot url

Posted on
Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:24 am
the41stside offline

Insteon HD Camera's snapshot url

Hi All,
quick background on me/ my indigo....

still running the free trial, fully into taking over the world and things are going well. I will be buying indigo when my trial ends. I'm running a 2010 macmini as a server, it's beefed up with an ssd etc. All my devices are insteon, motion sensors, switchlinc dimmers etc. blah blah blah.

everything is going very well, I have only one problem.

I have 4 new Insteon HD cameras 1 outdoor and 3 indoor. Not with them currently, the model eludes me, however they're the only HD cameras made by insteon. Theyre all functioning but not thru indigo. Here's why...

1. - I haven't had any luck with securityspy, the securityspy software crashes on launch, so I can't even work with the plugin as far as that goes. Can't debug because the error is an apple message stating "security spy has quit unexpectedly". Have not found any evidence anyone else has had this problem in my searches...

2. - I can't point to the refreshing image url, because they're isn't one, the insteon camera snapshot setup only does multiple images and doesn't seem to have its own refreshing image url. Further I tried creating a script to take the newest snapshot file and rewrite to another file, and then pointed the indigo control for refreshing images at it. unfortunately that's just a little beyond my skill-set as far as coding goes.

I should also say that it is vital for me to use indigo to access my cams, because of the goprism reflector. I'm on a cellular LTE network with no static IP and no way to thruput any ddns setup (long story). trust me on that, and I don't need suggestions on ddns or port forwarding if you're wondering.

so, any suggestions/questions? I will post the exact camera models when I get home today.

Thanks in advance!

Posted on
Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:54 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Insteon HD Camera's snapshot url

First, I'd contact Ben Software about the SecuritySpy issue - clearly there's something wrong there. And that's by far the best way to do camera integration with Indigo.

I thought (but have never actually tried) that the Insteon cameras were just an OEM version of the Foscam cameras - which I believe do include a URL to the most current image. So I'm a bit surprised that it's not there (though only a bit). Maybe someone here has more experience with those cameras?

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:52 am
the41stside offline

Jay, thanks so much for the quick reply. I can't tell you how impressed I am with indigo and the support.

So, I've contacted bensoftware and they've opened a ticket. I'll be waiting to hear from them.

As far as the camera models, they are just rebranded foscom cams but don't seem to work the same. They are insteon device #56 and #57.

I'm currently switching around some of my storage media so my cams aren't recording or taking snapshots right now, and hopefully I can get some more info and go back to testing this weekend.

Thanks again Jay!!

Posted on
Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:17 pm
the41stside offline

Quick Update. Had codec issues on my end conflicting with SecuritySpy. It's up and running now.
Middle of setting up new NAS storage, a security system, not to mention work, too much at once.
More to come..

Posted on
Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:14 am
the41stside offline

Hey, so for those who are interested. I've got security spy up an running. For the insteon cams to use security spy to create a refreshing image all I needed was to add them using the Device type ONVIF. I won't be using my mac to handle recording with security spy, so I think I'll elect to keep it in demo mode. 4 cams goes for over 250$ Canadian thru security spy, $ bling bling$ wow!

Thanks again for your help Jay.

This one is done

Posted on
Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:01 am
Radjin offline

Are you pulling your image from Security Spy or from the camera itself?

I have four cameras, the registered version of Security Spy, and Indigo Pro. Using a control page I created a security page to show my DSC alarm points all my cameras and key household controls or indicators. The one issue I am having is pulling the refreshing image for all the cameras from Security Spy. OR should they be pulled from the camera directly?

It's not rocket science...

Page 1 of 1