[ANSWERED]Device Organization

Posted on
Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:41 am
ArthurD123 offline

[ANSWERED]Device Organization

I'm just curious how most people handle organizing their devices within Indigo, including naming conventions & folder organization schemes... Though perhaps not the right forum for this, I'm also curious how people have found it best to organize their Triggers & Action Groups in the same vein as well.

I've gone back and forth on this a few times and am really just wondering what others have tried and what if anything people have found to work best for them.

For instance, I've got a KPL in my Kitchen -- but the main load that it controls is for outdoor patio lighting. Right now I've got it labeled as "Kitchen - xxx - KPL" or similar, because that's where it's located (and several of the KPL 'scene' buttons control kitchen aspects, though others control patio aspects). Do people tend to organize & name their devices based on the device location, the primary-load control location, or something else even perhaps such as function or device type?

Although I can probably get away without, adding either "Smart Folders" and/or "Labels" (akin to Gmail's labeling system where an item can have multiple labels, similar to tags) would be really nice for me. FWIW, I've got just over 50 devices currently including 8 KPLs, and am planning to add approx. 25 more over the next couple months once I have my current gear configured & performing the way I'd like.

Posted on
Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:38 am
DaveL17 offline

Re: Device Organization

I have my devices sorted generally by room--with some exceptions. I have a safety and security "room" with smoke detectors and stuff, and a couple "rooms" for plugin devices grouped by plugin.

My triggers are grouped by type--battery monitoring, email notification, etc. I don't have much in the way of Action Groups, so they're not sorted.

Posted with Tapatalk 2.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:17 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I organize similar to Dave: devices by location, Triggers/Schedules/Action Groups/Variables by functionality.

Smart folders are already on the list, though Tagging with a way to filter might also suffice. No ETA of course.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:06 pm
DaveL17 offline

Ooooh. Tagging would be super. :D

Posted with Tapatalk 2.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:49 am
davehale offline

Re: [ANSWERED]Device Organization

+1 for smart groups (like show me all the lights that are currently on) like iTunes does for smart playlists.

Page 1 of 1