[ANSWERED] ZWave Smart Energy Switch [DSC06106-ZWUS] Qs

Posted on
Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:01 am
Seeker offline

[ANSWERED] ZWave Smart Energy Switch [DSC06106-ZWUS] Qs

Regarding this product:

http://www.machomestore.com/catalog/pro ... cts_id=281

I have two 'dumb' TVs. A Samsumg 50" plasma and an Optoma HD20 projector. I'd like to be able to determine if these are on or off, and have the ability to control (mostly turn off) power.

Does the Aeon smart energy switch work well with Indigo?

Can I monitor if my TVs are ON via indigo using the current measuring feature?

Thanks. If so, I may pick up two.

Posted on
Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:45 am
kw123 offline

Re: Z-Wave Smart Energy Switch [DSC06106-ZWUS] questions

I am using them to switch on and off my TVs and I can measure the energy, works fine.

just make sure that you have enough z-wave devices in your network or that the switches are close enough to your mac.

Karl

Posted on
Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:50 am
Seeker offline

Thanks.

I have had no network issues since I switched to Indigo/Ztroller. Rock solid. With Vera it was a daily struggle.

I plan to use them as a way to control 'watching TV' scenes based on whether a TV is on (drawing sufficient current). It will also give me the ability to kill power if needed.

Posted on
Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:43 pm
Seeker offline

I got this hooked up to a 50" plasma. It draws 370-ish watts....wow.

The kw usage does not seem to update on its own, so I set a schedule to refresh every 30 seconds. This works, but is this the way it is supposed to work? Should it require a schedule to refresh?

Posted on
Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:00 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

I tried enabling some of the automatic reporting features of that module but ran into what looked like some firmware bugs in the module. So for now polling kWh is the best option.

Posted on
Sat May 24, 2014 7:38 am
toille27 offline

Re: [ANSWERED] ZWave Smart Energy Switch [DSC06106-ZWUS] Qs

I wanted to clarify something after reading this...the energy reading Indigo polls from this device can be used as a trigger? For future reference, which of the following items on the hardware page confirms this? (pasted from the Indigo web site below):

Aeon Labs Smart Energy Switch (DSC06106)

Available in Indigo Lite: Yes
Added in Indigo version: 6.0
Supports Routing: Yes
Sleeps: No
Supports Associations: Yes
Supports Beaming: Yes

Posted on
Sat May 24, 2014 8:43 am
ckeyes888 offline

"I have two 'dumb' TVs. A Samsumg 50" plasma and an Optoma HD20 projector. I'd like to be able to determine if these are on or off, and have the ability to control (mostly turn off) power."

Just throwing this out there but depending on your setup you could use discrete IR
commands that turn devices on or off specifically, without toggling.
I don't have many IR devices anymore but it is an easy fix to control them.

Carl

Posted on
Sat May 24, 2014 8:47 am
Seeker offline

I'm not really wanting to control the TVs, just actions based on their status.

these energy switches work fine. I now have one on each TV. As discussed above, they do not automatically report their kw usage. I have to set a schedule to poll each every few seconds.

Posted on
Sun May 25, 2014 8:15 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

toille27 wrote:
I wanted to clarify something after reading this...the energy reading Indigo polls from this device can be used as a trigger?

Yes, you can create a Trigger of type Device State Changed that fires based on different energy (watts or kWh) state values.

toille27 wrote:
For future reference, which of the following items on the hardware page confirms this?

None of them. The Web page just shows a few properties of the modules, but nothing related to energy usage or how Indigo has to poll out states.

Posted on
Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:44 pm
polycron offline

In working with my DSC06106 I didn't appear to be getting status updates with it set to poll on status changes. I modified the Parameters as follows:

90:1
  • Default was 0
  • 1=enable automated sending of report triggered by minimal change of value.
    92:5
  • Default was 10
  • 5=% Minimum change to send report
  • Default was 0
  • 4=Group 1 Meter Report for Watts
    102:8
  • Default was 0
  • 8=Group 2 Meter Report for kWh
    103:2
  • Default was 0
  • 2=Group 3 MultiSensor Report
    111:60
  • Default was 600
  • 60=Send interval for Reporting Group 1 in Seconds
    112:60
  • Default was 600
    113:60
  • Default was 600

Now it appears I am getting updates every 60 seconds (or less in some cases) when the appliance is on. My question is, with this change, will the energy switch be sending status updates every 60 seconds when the appliance is running and wattage is being detected? Or will it be sending updates every 60 seconds when the appliance is on and it detects a 5% change (or 50watt change)? Or will I be flooding the z-wave network with status updates every 60 seconds regardless of the appliance using power or not?

I'm not sure if I'm attempting to set this Energy switch correctly for my purposes. I'm trying to set a trigger to fire off when the watt's goes to ZERO on my washing machine. The trigger then sends me a message to let me know the wash is done.

Jeff

Posted on
Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:28 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Hi Jeff,

With my Aeotec Energy Switch I was never able to get threshold based reporting to work (so currently Indigo doesn't show that UI in the settings dialog).

I did get the periodic reporting to work, but there were some issues with the default duration being too low (10 seconds I think), so I also didn't add that UI.

You can, as you have found, manually set the parameters though. It definitely looks like you have it configured to send the energy values every 60 seconds. I don't know if the threshold values you have set will work or not (I never could get mine to work but you might have a newer version of the module). I do believe the 60 second reporting is independent of the the threshold values. That is, you are going to be getting reports every 60 seconds no matter what the values are. That may be acceptable from a network congestion perspective – I think you'll just have to try it to see if it causes any problems/latency.

Posted on
Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:24 pm
blueballsius offline

Hello, i'm having trouble adding the DSC06106 as a new device. I have the zstick 2 usb and have added many zwave devices by holding down the appropriate button on the device until it goes into some sort of pairing mode, then holding down the button on the zstick until it lights up, then it starts blinking fast as it pairs with the device. i can't seem to get the DSC06106 into pairing mode. the instructions say that it should start blinking as soon as plugged in, but this is not happening. i also tried holding down the power button for multiple durations, but did not see any change. any ideas? thanks

Posted on
Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:36 pm
toille27 offline

I would try excluding it first then try adding it. It's always a good rule of thumb for any Z wave device thats gets finicky when trying to include in the network.

Posted on
Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:28 pm
blueballsius offline

it worked, thank you :)

Page 1 of 1