Internet Router that ISN’T UniFi?

This forum is for generic questions about devices. Note: if your question is specific to a Z-Wave, INSTEON, Virtual, or X10 device, please use the correct sub forum from the Built-in Interfaces/Technologies section.
Different Computers

Internet Router that ISN’T UniFi?

Post by Different Computers »

I bought a dream machine pretty much as soon as it was available.

The damn thing has never really been reliable. Ubiquiti support has been no damn help. Actually actively unhelpful.

I love the integration available from a 3rd party plugin, but I really don’t want to have to restart my router twice a week any more.

Anyone have an integration with something that isn’t UniFi or Google? Or just a recommendation? I’d love to have Indigo talking to DDWRT and even have such a router on hand, but I have never seen any mention here of such an integration.
Sonoma on a Mac Mini M1 running Airfoil Pro, Bond Home, Camect, Roku Network Remote, Hue Lights, DomoPad, Adapters, Home Assistant Agent, HomeKitLinkSiri, EPS Smart Dimmer, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Grafana. UnifiAP
Korey

Re: Internet Router that ISN’T UniFi?

Post by Korey »

You must have gotten a lemon, :shock: My UDMP and others I have deployed have been rock solid for 3+ years, never needed a reboot other than to upgrade the firmware.
--
Korey
durosity

Post by durosity »

I’ve gotta agree with Korey here, other than one big crash my UDMP has been pretty much bulletproof. I’m not aware of any other currently maintained plugins for other routers either. Have you considered just resetting the UDMP and setting it up from scratch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Computer says no.
Different Computers

Post by Different Computers »

it's a known problem with UDMs that has many posts in the Unifi forums, and no real acknowledgement from Unifi.

Most of the time it goes like this: Wifi is up, but can't be joined. UDM becomes increasingly unresponsive, but the indicator light never changes from blue, meaning "OK!" Web and ssh access become unreliable and then stop responding. Never any mention of problems in the logs or console except for a useless "Your internet connection became unresponsive" or similar.

Note I have a UDM, not a UDMP.

And I've reset it to scratch before.
Sonoma on a Mac Mini M1 running Airfoil Pro, Bond Home, Camect, Roku Network Remote, Hue Lights, DomoPad, Adapters, Home Assistant Agent, HomeKitLinkSiri, EPS Smart Dimmer, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Grafana. UnifiAP
durosity

Post by durosity »

Ah yes, I think the UDM was rather hamstrung by some bad development cost cutting, from what I recall.

Have you considered the Dream Router that replaced it? My father in law has one running and it has been pretty dang flawless too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Computer says no.

Return to “Devices”