Want to create a virtual Thermostat device

Posted on
Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:05 am
hensed offline

Want to create a virtual Thermostat device

Hello,

I've been trying to figure out how I can create a virtual thermostat device in Indigo, piecing together states/data data from other devices and variables.

In 3 bedrooms I have electric heaters with z-wave appliance controllers. I also have temp sensors in those rooms. What I'd like is for room-users be able to set the temps they like using a thermostat device (and perhaps have that device translate to HomeKit as well).

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Posted on
Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:33 am
jalves offline

Re: Want to create a virtual Thermostat device

A partial solution might be to put a temperature sensor (I like the Aeotec Multisensor 6) in each room. Then set a trigger for temperatures falling below a certain level, and a second trigger for temperatures above a certain level. The low trigger would turn the heater on and the high trigger would turn it off.

Obviously this needs refinement as I don't know of a practical way to have those two trigger levels set by the occupant.

Running Indigo 2023.2 on a 24" iMac M1), OS X 14.4
Jeff

Posted on
Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:14 pm
hensed offline

Yes, this was the actions that I wanted to take, and build as a single "device" that masquerades as a thermostat or heater device.

Posted on
Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:57 am
siclark offline

Jon's (autolog) TRV plugin might be able to do that, or with a little tweaking. It can monitor remote sensors and turn on or off a switch (normally a boiler relay, but could be a mains socket) and control a set point on a TRV. You basically want this but without the TRV.
It creates a thermostat device.

Page 1 of 1