[ANSWERED] How to move entire Indigo setup to another mac?

Posted on
Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:28 am
thomasw offline

[ANSWERED] How to move entire Indigo setup to another mac?

Hi,
I have the Indigo 5 pro setup on iMac Leopard 10.5.8. I have done MANY custom settings in Indigo over the last few years, and even have some things in Indigo running applescripts. (thanks to Matt and Jay's patience with me....LOL)
Well, now I have to do a clean install of Snow Leopard (10.6.3)(I don't need Lion or Mt. Lion), due to some other programs not working with Leopard. I need a way to move the entire Setup of Indigo, with all the custom stuff, to the new Snow Leopard installation. I did see the article with the how to link for doing this with Indigo 4, but will that move all the applescripts and settings that I currently have running? I wouldn't even begin to know how to get this all set back up the way it is working now. I have Indigo sending commands to an IR device, for components, sending triggers to Elk devices, security cams, security spy (w/applescripts) and to the alarm speaker. It all works quite well from Indigo the way it is all setup, so I really need it to move the way it is now.
Here is the link that I did find, will doing it this way move everything including applescripts and settings? If there are any other things I need to know, please advise! Thanks in advance.
http://www.perceptiveautomation.com/ind ... lling.html

Posted on
Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:44 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: How to move entire Indigo setup to another mac?

Copy over this folder from the old Mac to the new Mac:

/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 4/

Then rerun the Indigo 4 installer on the new Mac. That should pretty much be it. Anything that doesn't work after that can be handled case-by-case. One thing that may be an issue - if you have any actions that execute an external AppleScript may require that you reselect the file once you get over to the new Mac.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:52 pm
thomasw offline

Thanks Jay,
I'll be giving it a try in a day or two. I know it would all work if I could just upgrade the existing Leopard to Snow Leopard, but I have to do a "clean" install of Snow Leopard.
I'll post back if I have any problems. Thanks again!

Posted on
Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:42 pm
tkluzak offline

I tried this but keep getting a message that the server can only be started by an administrator. I am logged in as administrator and don't know what to do to fix this.

Posted on
Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:22 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Try these steps:

1) Rename this folder:

/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 4/

to:

/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 4 - old/

2) Re-run the Indigo installer.

3) Move over your database file from:

/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 4 - old/Databases/

to the new Databases folder:

/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 4/Databases/

4) Launch Indigo.

Posted on
Sat May 24, 2014 10:52 am
MountainEars offline

I think I just asked a question on an archived post, may not come through, found this one which is not archived.

Indigo 6.0.12 on a Mac running Mountain Lion. Want to move it to a Mac running Mavericks. Specific steps to follow? No need to load the FTDI driver?

Ken

Posted on
Sun May 25, 2014 8:17 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

See the 2 steps listed here. The FTDI driver install shouldn't be needed under Mavericks.

Posted on
Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:59 am
spiv offline

Re: [ANSWERED] How to move entire Indigo setup to another ma

I have been thinking about this (eventual migration of my Indigo configuration to a newer Mac) and wondering about using a virtual machine. Is Indigo compatible with Parallels for the Mac or VMWare, or other VM hypervisor?

I think the potential problem area could be the Insteon PLM modem since it is a USB device with a virtual serial port driver.

My thought (and only a planning exercise right now), is that a virtual machine running on the Mac would provide a nice way to encapsulate the Indigo configuration with all customizations and migrate to another physical system in the future. It would isolate all my other Mac apps from "polluting" the configuration of Indigo, and by cloning the entire virtual machine hd, I could do test upgrades or even trial upgrades to newer versions of Mac OS X with an easy fall back solution (just restart the saved virtual machine if anything goes wrong).

As I start thinking of adding plug-ins and Apple scripts, this starts to look like a better solution that having to (eventually) copy over a few folders, re-install Indigo from scratch, and then re-test everything and re-create links to external scripts, etc.

Posted on
Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:37 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Indigo hasn't been tested under Parallels, VMWare, or VM hypervisor. I don't know if any reason why it wouldn't work, but it won't be officially supported. Probably the biggest area of concern would be the USB/drivers that the interfaces (PowerLinc, Z-Stick, etc.) have to use.

IMHO, I wouldn't bother with trying it. Just about all of Indigo's files/plugins/etc are inside the:

/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 6/

folder, so as long as that is copied over then the installer is re-run to heal permissions it should work pretty well. The one area where using VM would help would be to avoid problems caused by Mac OS updates. That is when things can start to break. But if you have a Mac that is a dedicated home server (I use my for Indigo, SecuritySpy, audio files, source control, backups) then it is easier to stay on a solid Mac OS version and be much more selective about doing major Mac OS updates.

Posted on
Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:33 pm
spiv offline

Thanks!

I'll stay away from VM, one less thing to worry about.

Indigo runs on my Mac mini, which is "kinda / sorta" dedicated but I do run other things on it including Xcode which is where part my concern was (but Xcode betas are app-level, not OS level bug/stability issues).

I also run Plex media server and so far Indigo and Plex have both been very reliable.

I did recently get another Mac for general use, so I'll probably try to migrate most other things over to that to keep the Indigo Mac isolated.

Posted on
Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:58 pm
TobinMarch offline

I am successfully running Indigo 6 on an ESXi 5.5u2 Host as a Virtual machine with a Powerlinc 2413U running OSX 10.8.3

Posted on
Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:16 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Note: we don't officially support Indigo on illegal hardware configurations. The Mac OS X licensing agreement explicitly requires it to be used only on Apple hardware.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:32 pm
mlooss offline

jay (support) wrote:
Note: we don't officially support Indigo on illegal hardware configurations. The Mac OS X licensing agreement explicitly requires it to be used only on Apple hardware.

FYI,

Jay is correct, OS X is only licensed for use on Apple hardware, but vSphere Bare-Metal Hypervisor ESXi 5.5u2 from VMware will run on certain Mac models, I use it on a Mac Mini, but not to run Indigo (something I have pending to test whenever time allows it). The Apple licensing terms are different for each OS X release, Mac OS X 10.5 and 10.6 only the server is allowed to be virtualized. For Mac OS X 10.7, 10.8 and 10.9, both client and server can be virtualized, but 10.10 can only be virtualized when running 10.10 using VMware Fusion and not the vSphere Bare-Metal Hypervisor ESXi.

I don't know if TobinMarch is running his HyperVisor on Apple hardware, but it can be done on a Mac and comply with Apple's EUL.

Posted on
Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:25 am
Turribeach offline

Hi all, has there been any changes since 2015 related to this thread? Apple has really started to piss me off by not upgrading the MacMini for years. I refuse to buy anything that doesn't support 4K properly and an iMac or MacBook Pro will be a serious overkill for running Indigo.

Jay/Matt, obviously being mainly a two man show means that porting Indigo to another platform is not feasible but have you guys considered moving Indigo to something more portable like a docker container? I don't have any technical knowledge of how possible that could be but I am just worried on Apple's commitment to Mac OS and the Mac desktop hardware. Despite their "signals" and the upcoming release of the iMac Pro and the new Mac Pro their track record of the last few years is very poor. And with iOS devices making most of their profits you can clearly see a time where they ditch Mac OS or their desktops or both.

Posted on
Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:18 am
Different Computers offline

Not quite what you guys were talking about, but I thought I'd chime in to say that after successfully running Indigo on a Hackintosh running 10.11.x, when I upgraded to 10.12 the USB all went to hell and I could no longer communicate with either my PowerLinc or my Aeon Gen 5 Z-stick.

That Hackintosh currently sits gathering dust because an upgrade to 10.12.6 borked the system and I've decided I have much more pressing things to do than mess about with Clover config files. Lucky for me a MBP with a broken screen came my way!

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.