Action Collection Error after updating to 2023.1

Posted on
Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:31 am
macpro offline

Re: Action Collection Error after updating to 2023.1

There's always that one user that makes your assumptions invalid. :D

Having tons of these messages:
Code: Select all
Action Collection Error         Timeout error getting shortcut list: this likely indicates that there is something going on with your Mac. If it persists, you may need to restart.
Action Collection Error         Timeout error getting shortcut list: this likely indicates that there is something going on with your Mac. If it persists, you may need to restart.

I'm running Indigo 2023.1.1 on a Mac mini 2018 with macOS 12.7.1 and I only have 12 shortcuts.

Posted on
Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:42 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Given that you don't have many shortcuts, you may be experiencing a different error (which is getting caught by the timeout handler). I'd like to know what the actual exception is, which if you follow the instructions right before your post it should show us more detail.

I have decided however that we need to change the code around getting the list. There is only one way to actually get the list (there's no API, so we have to issue the command-line call), but we can architect the code around it so that any errors we get are handled in a different way.

It still amazes me that a simple command-line call to return a list of shortcuts can take longer than 5 seconds - that just doesn't compute in my head. And it's working for the vast majority of others. This is why I have a suspicion that something else is going on, but without being able to reproduce it's really hard to figure it out. The errors from the debug logging (activated by the above post) may help.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Nov 08, 2023 12:52 pm
macpro offline

Tried the steps, but again not what you're expecting. The log info you want doesn't appear:
   Motion Blinds                   sent "Keuken Gordijnen" set position to 50
   Reloading plugin "Action Collection 2023.1.1" using API v3.3
   Stopping plugin "Action Collection 2023.1.1" (pid 28319)
   Z-Wave                          received "Hal 1e-2e Detectie Dag-Nacht" sensor update to 0 lux
   Stopped plugin "Action Collection 2023.1.1"
   Starting plugin "Action Collection 2023.1.1" (pid 29501)
   Started plugin "Action Collection 2023.1.1"                                       <<== Running with debug mode
   Z-Wave                          received "Studeerkamer Beweging" status update is off
   Trigger                         MD Studeerkamer Rust
   Z-Wave                          received "Hal 1e Detectie" status update is off
   Trigger                         MD Hal1e Rust
   Stopping plugin "Action Collection 2023.1.1" (pid 29501)
   Starting plugin "Action Collection 2023.1.1" (pid 29774)
   Z-Wave                          received "Hal begane grond Beweging" status update is off
   Trigger                         MD HalBG Rust
   Started plugin "Action Collection 2023.1.1"                                      <<== Running without debug mode

Posted on
Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:24 pm
Londonmark offline

Tried the steps. I get a Privacy and Seucirty notification saying that Terminal was prevented from modifying apps on my Mac.

I don't get Exact exception info anywhere. I just get messages about reloading the Action Collection plugin.

Log output shown here covering steps 1 and 3.

8 Nov 2023 at 22:21:17
   Stopping plugin "Action Collection 2023.1.1" (pid 41918)
   Starting plugin "Action Collection 2023.1.1" (pid 42102)
   Started plugin "Action Collection 2023.1.1"

8 Nov 2023 at 22:23:45
   Stopping plugin "Action Collection 2023.1.1" (pid 42102)
   Starting plugin "Action Collection 2023.1.1" (pid 42432)

Posted on
Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:34 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Here's what everyone should see after the first command (note that it has the -d switch which I suspect @macpro missed on the first command line):

Stopping plugin "Action Collection 2023.1.1" (pid 64846)
   Debugging plugin "Action Collection 2023.1.1" (pid 99975)
   Action Collection Debug         debugging enabled

The last line is what will indicate that the plugin successfully restarted in the debugger.

The security notification may be what's blocking it (though it's not for me). It's possible that you can correct it in the Privacy & Security section of the macOS System Settings, though I don't know what it would look like since it's not happening to me.

If there is nothing obvious there, then go to the Plugins tab of the General Settings in Indigo and change the Use debugger popup to PyCharm - I believe that will avoid the Terminal permission issue. You'll see some extra errors at first, but those can be safely ignored. Hopefully you'll see something like this:

Stopping plugin "Action Collection 2023.1.1" (pid 161)
   Debugging plugin "Action Collection 2023.1.1" (pid 175)
   Action Collection               exception trying to init debugger:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 2023.1/IndigoPluginHost3.app/Contents/Resources/PlugIns/indigo_base.py", line 99, in _initialize_debugger
    raise Exception("PyCharm debug server not reachable")
Exception: PyCharm debug server not reachable

PyCharm Debugging Error         Unable to connect to PyCharm debug server
   PyCharm Debugging Error         Debug server must be running on 127.0.0.1:5678 before plugin is restarted
   Action Collection Debug         debugging enabled
   Action Collection               exception trying to init debugger:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 2023.1/IndigoPluginHost3.app/Contents/Resources/PlugIns/indigo_base.py", line 99, in _initialize_debugger
    raise Exception("PyCharm debug server not reachable")
Exception: PyCharm debug server not reachable

PyCharm Debugging Error         Unable to connect to PyCharm debug server
   PyCharm Debugging Error         Debug server must be running on 127.0.0.1:5678 before plugin is restarted

Followed by more debug lines with the specific errors we're looking for.

Apple really makes things so difficult with their overzealous "security features"...

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:42 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

If you're using Sonoma and you got the terminal error, try going to Privacy & Security in the System Settings app, then click on the Automation item, then look under Terminal to see if there's any Indigo option. Not sure if it'll be there or not - those "security" settings are evil black magic...

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:52 am
macpro offline

I already tried all three debugger options on the plugin settings, but none of them showed any extra info.
And I never saw that 1 line that should say the plugin was started with debugging enabled.
Didn't look into terminal permissions. Will do that later today.

Posted on
Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:42 pm
macpro offline

Tried all sorts of settings in Privacy & Security, but to no avail.
The plugin will just not provide debug info.

Posted on
Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:26 pm
Londonmark offline

I also cannot find a way of switching on debugging. Nothing in system preferences. Log filled with all sorts of red text which mainly relates to Action Collection but occasionally other plugins (RFXcom, Alexa). Not clear if that's related or not.

Posted on
Fri Nov 10, 2023 1:19 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I have no idea why it's not working for you guys, I've tried it on 3 different Macs and they all work using the instructions above.

In any event, I'm going to rearchitect how I get the list and how I report errors when I can't.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:11 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Just one final thing. I created a completely clean Sonoma install, installed Indigo, started it up and then followed the instructions above. Here's the screenshot of the entire screen after step #1:

ActionCollectionDebug.png
ActionCollectionDebug.png (802.47 KiB) Viewed 1198 times

Notice in the upper right corner I see the Privacy & Security Terminal notification, but it's irrelevant. You can see from the event log window that it did restart in debug mode. You can see from the uppermost (background) Terminal window that I pasted in the following command:

/usr/local/bin/indigo-restart-plugin -d com.perceptiveautomation.indigoplugin.ActionCollection

And it responded that it restarted the plugin. The lower (frontmost) Terminal window is the one I said would show up, but again for this discussion it's irrelevant.

So, bottom line, I have no idea why it didn't work for you guys, but it would be awfully nice to see the debug output that you guys are seeing because I'm suspicious that you guys may be getting different errors.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Sat Nov 11, 2023 3:53 am
Londonmark offline

Still not working for me. I no longer get the privacy and security warning, but I also don't get the debugging option.
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-11-11 at 09.51.29.jpg
Screenshot 2023-11-11 at 09.51.29.jpg (445.92 KiB) Viewed 1141 times

Posted on
Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:08 am
macpro offline

Is it possible to stop this plugin while a fix is in the making?
I'm getting dozens of these messages per minute.

Posted on
Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:23 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Londonmark wrote:
Still not working for me. I no longer get the privacy and security warning, but I also don't get the debugging option.

Sorry, your screenshot resolution was reduced so I can't really read it. Can you email a larger version to support@indigodomo.com with a link to this thread?

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:23 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

macpro wrote:
Is it possible to stop this plugin while a fix is in the making?
I'm getting dozens of these messages per minute.

Nope - there is critical functionality in that plugin.

Jay (Indigo Support)