Action Collection Error after updating to 2023.1

Posted on
Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:59 pm
vvrangler offline

Action Collection Error after updating to 2023.1

After installing version 2023.1 I am receiving the following error over and over in the log file.

And after some time indigo client crashes and I have to restart it to get the main window back.

Action Collection Error shortcut_list: failed to get shortcut list: 'Error: The operation couldn’t be completed. No such file or directory
'
Action Collection Error shortcut_list: failed to get shortcut list: 'Error: The operation couldn’t be completed. No such file or directory
'
'

Posted on
Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:30 am
DaveL17 offline

Re: Action Collection Error after updating to 2023.1

The built-in Action Collection plugin is attempting to build a list of all the Apple Shortcuts on your machine to populate a list that's presented in the Run Apple Shortcut action under Server Actions. It's trying to find them here:

Code: Select all
/Users/USERNAME/Library/Shortcuts
Take a look at the following file to see if there are any clues to what's causing the problem. Please post everything in that log between the repeating messages you see in the Event Log (making sure to remove anything sensitive).

/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 2023.1/Logs/indigoplugin.ActionCollection/plugin.log
If you're uncomfortable posting this information to the forums, please send it to support AT indigodomo.com referencing this forum post and include your MacOS version as well.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Sat Oct 07, 2023 8:41 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

While running under the same user account on your Mac as the Indigo Server, open a terminal window and paste in the following, one line at a time:

file /usr/bin/shortcuts
/usr/bin/shortcuts list

Copy/paste the results in a reply. Also, please reply with the version of macOS that you are running.

The error you posted is because the above shell command is returning that error (Error: The operation couldn’t be completed. No such file or directory), which seems to indicate that shortcuts aren't available on your Mac. The plugin attempts to detect this and we've tested on a variety of macOS versions, but apparently in your environment it appears that the shortcuts app is available but when trying to get the list it's failing. Very odd...

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:15 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Ok, I think I found the bug: if you don't have any shortcuts on your Mac then you probably get that error. Just create a shortcut (doesn't really need to do anything) and that should solve the error. We'll fix it appropriately in the next release.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:40 pm
vvrangler offline

Thanks for the quick response, you were right, it was the shortcuts, as soon as I opened the Shortcuts app on the Mac the error stopped.

Thanks again everyone!

Posted on
Sun Oct 08, 2023 4:27 pm
Londonmark offline

I've updated to Sonoma so appreciate I may not get much sympathy! Everything seems to be working except that I am seeing this:

Action Collection Error Error in plugin execution runConcurrentThread:

File "plugin.py", line 1273, in runConcurrentThread
File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.10/lib/python3.10/subprocess.py", line 503, in run
File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.10/lib/python3.10/subprocess.py", line 1149, in communicate
File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.10/lib/python3.10/subprocess.py", line 2001, in _communicate
File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.10/lib/python3.10/subprocess.py", line 1193, in _check_timeout
type: Command '['/usr/bin/shortcuts', 'list']' timed out after 5 seconds

Action Collection Error plugin runConcurrentThread function returned or failed (will attempt again in 10 seconds)

Not sure what's prompting it.

Posted on
Sun Oct 08, 2023 6:17 pm
DaveL17 offline

Most likely, it's because you don't have any Apple Shortcuts defined on that machine. If you create a Shortcut (it doesn't have to do anything), that should silence the error. This is a temporary condition, and the next update to Indigo should address the error.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Sun Oct 08, 2023 7:57 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

If you do have shortcuts, how many do you have? This error is slightly different than the other - the shell command that we have to use to get the shortcuts list is not completing within 5 seconds. That seems quite odd/unusual to me. I wonder if a reboot will fix the problem (maybe there's a Shortcuts app issue)?

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Mon Oct 09, 2023 5:03 am
Londonmark offline

Thanks Jay. It seems to have resolved itself without me doing anything at all. I have lots of shortcuts but can't identify any that were causing problems. Anyway - no more red text, so all good for now.

Posted on
Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:50 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Fixed in Indigo 2023.1.1, available now.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:18 am
fmullerindigo offline

I upgraded to 2023.1.1, added some dummy shortcuts and am still getting the issue.
Can you let me know what log data I should send?
Thanks, Fred

Posted on
Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:38 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Double check that Indigo 2023.1.1 is the version of both client and server that are running by choosing the Indigo->About Indigo menu item.

Posted on
Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:04 pm
ericwass offline

Having a very similar issue and have tried all the troubleshooting steps above. I'm running 2023.1.1 (both server and client) and my Event Log is full of the following error:
"Timeout error getting shortcut list: this likely indicates that there is something going wrong on with your Mac. If it persists, you may need to restart."

I have many shortcuts on this Mac (which is used exclusively for Indigo and Security Spy) and they work. I even leave the Shortcuts app open.
Needless to say I have restarted. Nothing seems to help. Any thoughts?

Posted on
Mon Nov 06, 2023 6:09 pm
Londonmark offline

Getting the same. Also have lots of shortcuts.

Posted on
Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:05 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

How many shortcuts do each of you have?

Can one of you do this:

1) Open a terminal window and paste in the following command:

/usr/local/bin/indigo-restart-plugin -d com.perceptiveautomation.indigoplugin.ActionCollection

Note, this will likely cause an extra terminal window to open (depending on your Plugin debugging settings), you can just ignore that.

2) Look in your Event Log window for the error that you reported above - there should be a debug line starting with Exact exception info just after it with more specific error information

3) Once you see that, switch back to the terminal and paste in this (so your event log doesn't get flooded any further):

/usr/local/bin/indigo-restart-plugin com.perceptiveautomation.indigoplugin.ActionCollection

4) Copy/paste in the log line that starts with Exact exception info into Code tags in a reply.

That should tell us what we need to know. I suspect that you guys have so many shortcuts that it's just taking a long time to get and process the list, but this will confirm it.

Jay (Indigo Support)