Making the Great Leap Forward

Posted on
Tue Sep 05, 2023 4:03 pm
Perry The Cynic offline

Making the Great Leap Forward

For a number of fairly irrelevant reasons, my main Indigo installation is running on a six year old Mac Mini on macOS 10.15.7. It's accumulated a bunch of plugins over the years (many of them mine...), and the apparently requisite collection of USB serial ports, including at least one multiport "real" serial port adapter.

I'm now considering making the bold leap forward to an M2 Mac Mini (or Studio) running macOS 13.5.whatever. I think I have a handle on the Apple Silicon transition. But what else will trip me up? What is the state of serial port adapters on M2 macs? Will the Z-Wave modem work on a Thunderbolt dock port? You know, that kind of peripheral questions (ha, ha).

Has anyone made that leap recently? Any gotchas/horror stories to look out for? Wise advice cheerfully accepted :)

Cheers
-- perry

Posted on
Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:00 pm
DaveL17 offline

Re: Making the Great Leap Forward

My recent move from a 2012 MBP to an M2 Mini was really fairly painless. Can't really comment on the peripherals issue since I just use a Z-Stick on a standard USB-B port. Most of the stuff I encountered was very straightforward (stuff you'll be able to handle no problem -- like updating Python libs).

But one thing surprised me and I haven't gotten around to fixing it yet. I moved everything over using Apple's Migration Assistant and ever since then my access rights on the M2 (when logged in remotely) have been a bit borked. Example: I can copy an Indigo plugin package over to the new machine, but then can't delete the package I just copied over. What I've done in the interim, is to log in with Screen Sharing, delete the file, and then get on with my life. :D

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:34 pm
jltnol offline

have been a bit borked.

I find File Sharing in general is now an uphill battle. While I don't recall the exact details, it seems I can do more via VNC than by SMB . Doesn't make much sense.... and not a big enough problem to track down, but it's been going on for awhile on the MacOS

Posted on
Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:52 pm
DaveL17 offline

I'd like to think there's a solution to be had; I just haven't bothered to try to track one down.

I think it's always important to have dreams. :)

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Page 1 of 1