Warning to anyone swapping to new Netatmo Plug-in

Posted on
Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:46 am
norcoscia offline

Warning to anyone swapping to new Netatmo Plug-in

Boy this is a big big mess for me - I swapped from the old Netatmo plug-in to the new one as part of my conversion to Python 3. For some reason the new Netatmo plug-in developer said to delegate all your old devices before switching - I guess that person did not have 20 control pages that had those devices on them, because all of those devices and place holders on those pages have just disappeared- why Indigo did not leave that on the control pages and just no op it I will never know. I must have 100 hours of work now trying to figure out what was where, what font was used and what size the font was - why was a warning not in the directions?

Also I noticed schedules that used those devices have vanished - thanks again Indigo - why not just leave the schedule and no op it - who knows if I’ll ever put Humpty Dumpty back together again.

So unhappy right now I better stop typing……. But indigo gets a big F from me - I can’t believe no one bothered to list this as an issue…

Just to be clear, the directions should tell people to point any of those devices on control pages to another device temporarily so they don’t vanish - also the directions say to delegate the old Netatmo pref file - why not also say - By the way, the pref file is named after the author not the plug-in name - so simple to do a better job and avoid so so much wasted time…

_______
Norm

Posted on
Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:32 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Warning to anyone swapping to new Netatmo Plug-in

Indigo should have warned you when deleting (not delegating?) the devices that they were used on Control Pages and/or Schedules. Did it not?

Can you just revert your Indigo database file to an older backup version? Seems like that would be the fastest way if this is going to take you 100s of hours.

And you are correct, the proper way to do this if new devices are needed is to create the new devices then edit the Control Pages, Schedules, etc. to use the new devices and finally delete the older devices.

Posted on
Sat Oct 15, 2022 3:37 pm
norcoscia offline

Thanks, I was thinking about pulling an old version up if for no other reason than to screen shot my pages. But it went faster than I expected - I got 3 of about ten or so pages almost done. It is just so hard to get everything realigned exactly in the right spot.

I don’t think I got a special warning about the control pages but I can’t say for sure - it sure would have been better if indigo just left my control pages with any device or variable instead of erasing them - they could have been the first device or variable inside indigo and it would have saved me a lot of time adding stuff back and trying to realign everything on so many pages.

I did save this warning dialog box in case it would help me - is that the one you are talking about?
Attachments
76235DDE-D037-433A-A3D8-F6AE9E1975A3.png
76235DDE-D037-433A-A3D8-F6AE9E1975A3.png (87.46 KiB) Viewed 769 times

_______
Norm

Posted on
Sat Oct 15, 2022 3:46 pm
norcoscia offline

This is the type of stuff that takes forever to get realigned - sigh…
Attachments
D4BCFADC-FB50-43BC-AB71-B87CE358B762.jpeg
D4BCFADC-FB50-43BC-AB71-B87CE358B762.jpeg (125.02 KiB) Viewed 764 times

_______
Norm

Posted on
Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:14 pm
norcoscia offline

These are the written directions I followed - they are posted on the official plug-in store page for the plug-in I updated - so maybe whoever owns the page should update the write-up so no one else has the same horror to deal with — just saying…..
Attachments
424E48A2-2D26-4794-A844-C0B1978511C9.jpeg
424E48A2-2D26-4794-A844-C0B1978511C9.jpeg (196.45 KiB) Viewed 753 times

_______
Norm

Page 1 of 1