Can’t find the nest plug-in

Posted on
Thu May 19, 2022 7:37 am
norcoscia offline

Can’t find the nest plug-in

I was working down my list of plug-ins and I could not find the NEXT Home plug-in in the indigo store - I never converted my nest account and the plug-in I have installed is still working fine - does anyone know why it is not in the plug-in store or am I missing something . Thanks in advance….

_______
Norm

Posted on
Thu May 19, 2022 9:54 am
howartp offline

Re: Can’t find the nest plug-in

They’re only in the store if developer is still around/active and bothered pushing it to the store when store was introduced.

Many plugins still work and supported, but not in the store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Posted on
Thu May 19, 2022 10:26 am
norcoscia offline

Thanks - wonder what most other NEST users are doing (at least the ones that have not converted their accounts to google).

Making progress - 1 plug-in sorted (not this one) now only about 15 to figure out before I can really look at moving forward.....

_______
Norm

Posted on
Fri May 20, 2022 3:35 am
autolog offline

I have just posted an FAQ on the Starling Bridge plugin that I am developing. It exposes Nest devices to Indigo, .

You can read about it here: Starling Bridge FAQ

Posted on
Fri May 20, 2022 7:00 am
norcoscia offline

That is interesting I’ll keep an eye on progress - thanks for the heads up

_______
Norm

Posted on
Sun May 22, 2022 12:46 pm
ryanbuckner offline

norcoscia wrote:
Thanks - wonder what most other NEST users are doing (at least the ones that have not converted their accounts to google).

Making progress - 1 plug-in sorted (not this one) now only about 15 to figure out before I can really look at moving forward.....

i am still using the old plugin that will work until 2022.2. PM me if you need a copy of it

Posted on
Sun May 22, 2022 4:43 pm
norcoscia offline

Thanks I have it I was just looking to see if a P3 version had happened - I totally forgot about the google API thing - I think I can live w/o it if I update to 2022.2…

_______
Norm

Posted on
Mon May 23, 2022 8:16 am
dduff617 offline

i may be remembering wrong, but i feel pretty sure NEST Home plugin was in the plugin store at one point. it's not there now, it must have been removed at some point. additionally, i think "Nest" was one of the logos included, for example, on this page. (it's definitely not there now.)

warning: rant follows (sorry)....

this plugin for me opened my eyes to the great potential of plugins to add value to Indigo. it was easy to use, provided very elegant and clean integration. it worked flawlessly. it even had great documentation. the gradual decay of the plugin due to neglect/abuse by Google and by the departure of the plugin developer was a disappointment to me.

this represented the worst-case scenario of modern HA for me - i tried out a product, i found a good working solution, i made a choice to make a substantial investment in products (thermostats, smoke detectors), then support was (essentially) yanked with no real alternative provided, other than to switch to a completely different parent HA system.

Posted on
Mon May 23, 2022 9:20 am
norcoscia offline

I agree - Google messed this up for me too - If they cut support for the original interface -I’m not going to agree to the account terms of service - and if my house burns down (I have a nest protect) - they will bear some responsibility - They better keep the interface up for 10 years after the last protect that was sold or someone will hold them accountable (at least I hope that is what would happen if someone had an issue because they cut the interface to a fire safety device).

_______
Norm

Posted on
Mon May 23, 2022 10:06 am
autolog offline

This doesn't directly answer your concerns, but the Starling Bridge Plugin that I am developing for the Starling Hub device that connects to Nest And Apple Home is being progressed.

Here is a sample screen shot of the pre-Alpha being worked on at the moment:

starling.png
Indigo Starling Bridge Interface
starling.png (193.88 KiB) Viewed 1105 times

Page 1 of 1