Python 3 installation in 2022.1

Posted on
Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:12 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Python 3 installation in 2022.1

hamw wrote:
Jay, if nothing should’ve changed, do you have any idea why the plug-in appears to work but doesn’t see the boards?

No idea.

hamw wrote:
Also, I am glad to hear you all are not completely ditching python 2.7. It’s really hard to keep changing things.

Clarification: starting in 2023.1, Indigo will no longer use Python 2 for anything (plugins that still use Python 2 will not work). We will not remove the python 2 install that any previous version of Indigo installed, but it will not use it.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:33 am
kyphos offline

@hamw
My Phidgets program, written in Python2, is in a file named Furnace.py located in a folder on the Desktop (/Desktop/PhidgetsCode).
I launch the program with a command shell script (logging.command) containing three lines:
Code: Select all
#!  /bin/tsch
cd /Users/Kyphos/Desktop/PhidgetsCode
Furnace.py

After migrating to 2022.1, I had to explicitly change the shell script to point to the 'default' macOS installation of Python 2.7.
Thus:
Code: Select all
#!  /bin/tsch
cd /Users/Kyphos/Desktop/PhidgetsCode
/usr/bin/python Furnace.py

There may be a more elegant way to accomplish the redirect, but this worked for me.

As best I can tell, /usr/bin is where macOS installs its variant of Python2.
Indigo used to install its variant of Python2 in /usr/local/bin.
Having moved to Python3, the Indigo 2022.x installer places Py3 somewhere else, but apparently leaves any prior install of Py2 (at /usr/local/bin) alone.

:arrow: Indigo 2023.1.1, macOS 10.13.6 (High Sierra), Mac mini5,1 (Intel Core i5), PowerLinc 2413U

Posted on
Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:49 pm
hamw offline

Kyphos,

I'm going to post over in the Phidgets thread. Would appreciate if you would take a look.

thanks!