Install Missing legacy usb drivers Catalina Powerlinc 1132U

Posted on
Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:46 pm
jtimleckforum offline

Install Missing legacy usb drivers Catalina Powerlinc 1132U

OK, so I know the 1132U Powerlinc interface is old. But many of us run X10 and it's ancient. So unless you're buying me a replacement... :|

I have moved my Indigo client to Catalina, and apparently this macOS no longer supplies the needed drivers to run the Powerlinc 1132U USB interface - and Perceptive Automation's answer is to pull them from old installers (see this forum post).

That's fine but this will not work always. Regardless of right clicking to open the installer and "install with" (rather than just double clicking the installer which immediately gives you a installer is incompatible with this oS warning, the INSTALLER will still not allow you because not only is the INSTALLER too old SO IS THE PACKAGE - "This package is incompatible with this version of macOS". :roll: So much for Perceptive Automations solution.... :(

Since folks seem to not want to solve this I figured a solution myself. You'll need a couple of extra tools but the whole thing took me 15 minutes once I sorted it (versus the hours I spent effing around with "solutions" that you couldn't actually use (I mean TEST some of your response please).

SO here is the solution I did that worked. ***WARNING** - this is messing with kernel extensions in the OS - DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK. I am NOT responsible for your "experiments". lol :roll:

You'll need:
Steps:
  1. Get the installer per the Indigo link above
  2. Open Pacifist, open the package
  3. Scroll down the list of components, expand the last drivers named one, and find "IndigoOverrides.kext" - drag to desktop
  4. Open KextBeast - it AUTOMATICALLY loads any kernel extensions that are on your DESKTOP so be careful you have the right one
  5. Select Install in the root systems/library/extensions (doing this with KextBeast blesses the files correctly to operate).
  6. Restart
  7. You will get an error message "System Extension Blocked A program tried to load new system extension(s) signed by "Legacy Developer: Perceptiveautomation". If you want to enable these extensions, open Security & Privacy System Preferences (the security preferences pane)
  8. Go to System Preferences > Security & Privacy pane. At midway down the pane you will see a message asking if you want to load the extensions. UNLOCK the pane and agree.
  9. Restart
  10. Voila - I (maybe you will too) have your interface back up
Hope this helps someone.
Attachments
1.png
Powerlinc 1132U (USB) interface will show up on your mac, but it can't be used without updated drivers - drivers NOT in the Indigo installer or the macOS, so you need to get an old Indigo installer, Right click and try custom installing ONLY the drivers.
1.png (39.12 KiB) Viewed 503 times
2a.png
But when trying to install the custom components - you're going to still get an error - it will still fail because the package is STILL incompatible with the securities of later OSes
2a.png (85.32 KiB) Viewed 503 times
4.png
Open the old Indigo Installer package with Pacifist
4.png (63.31 KiB) Viewed 503 times
5.png
Navigate to bottom of components list until you see the "folder" (it's a kext package actually, it just won't show like the little white plugin right here) "Indigo Overrides.kext" Drag to desktop
5.png (71.22 KiB) Viewed 503 times
6.png
You will be asked to grant permission to install the legacy drivers extension (kext)
6.png (25.45 KiB) Viewed 503 times
7.png
Success
7.png (23 KiB) Viewed 503 times

Page 1 of 1