Migrating to M1 Mini - checklist

Posted on
Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:45 am
hwitten offline

Migrating to M1 Mini - checklist

Planning to bite the bullet...

Currently on Indigo 7.5 on an Intel Mini.

I'm planning to move this 7.5 to the M1 without disturbing the current, other than deactivating license, so that I have a fallback in case things go sideways.

Z-stick and Insteon Interface will move too.
Planning to run this for a bit to confirm all good before upgrading to latest Indigo.

Had considered redoing my Z-Wave 100+ devices on a new stick. Currently on Z-Stick (Gen5). Have not found anything on the forum re a stick that has better backup. Is there one that I missed?

Decided to go with current Z-Stick to postpone a redo for now.

Any gotcha's to watch out for?

Posted on
Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:58 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Migrating to M1 Mini - checklist

That all sounds good to me. Definitely smart to do it in stages. After you have it running on the M1 definitely get the Indigo 2021.1 version since it is M1 native (7.5 will run well under Rosetta while you test it though).

The Gen5 Z-Stick is still a good choice IMO. There are newer versions, but if your current setup is working I personally wouldn't bother changing hardware.

Posted on
Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:09 pm
hwitten offline

Thanks Matt.

I'm keeping the new stick as a spare, stayed with old.

I used the Apple Migration Tool to populate the M1. Everything fired up nicely.
Only change was serial port, as expected.
Only gotcha was that Lat/Long went to somewhere 'down under' instead of keeping the old. After fixing that all sunrise/sunset stuff worked as it should :D

Unless just my imagination, I think even 7.5 runs smoother/faster on the M1.

Got Reflector working too in preparation of next step to latest and greatest.

Posted on
Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:54 am
t-star offline

Going from an old Mac mini to a new refurbished m1. Catalina to 12.x. I will be checking to make sure it isn't 12.3 when I get it on Monday. Will reinstall if necessary to move it back. I am current on Indigo running Insteon and zwave with the aeotec v4 I think.

It doing the migration assistant the best way to move?

Posted on
Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:17 pm
Doctor Q offline

Weird, everyone doing the same thing. Must be the solar flares. I also just picked up a refurbished M1 Mini, and moved everything over using Migration Assistant. It also brought Homebridge over, tho I had to re-install the UniFi Protect plug-in. I also had to de-authorize Indigo on the old Mac. I made sure I was running MacOS 12.1 and unchecked everything I could find that allowed automatic updates.

I couldn’t get internet access on the new Mac, even after swapping the network cable. For some reason I decided to look at the DNS entries and they were blank. Punched in CloudNine’s address and everything worked. I have no idea why the DNS table didn’t transfer over MA and don’t think I’ve ever seen that happen before.

I still can’t get the HomeKit-Bridge or the Cynical Security Spy plug-in to run, which is really cramping my style at the moment. If anyone has any suggestions, bring them on.

Posted on
Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:46 pm
Radjin offline

If am understanding this correctly, I can do a migration, a deactivate and activate on the new Mac then upgrade Indigo so it will have the M1 native software?

It's not rocket science...

Posted on
Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:23 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

The process is somewhat dependent on exactly what you're doing. There's a process to upgrade on a specific Mac, there's a process to move to another Mac, then there's the process to do both. We don't recommend attempting to do both at the same time as it might make troubleshooting any issues you have more difficult.

My recommended approach is to first upgrade Indigo to the latest version, then move it to the other Mac, as two separate steps. You can verify that the upgrade worked first, then do the move and verify everything is working after that.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:40 am
norcoscia offline

Yesterday I tried to install the latest version of the MAC client (not the server) on an M1 Mac and it said it would need to install Rosetta. In the post above Matt said the server was M1 native. I’m confused… is just the server native and the MAC client is not?

Please let me know.

_______
Norm

Posted on
Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:12 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

No, the Mac client is also native. Not sure why you were prompted...

Indigo_Get_Info.png
Indigo_Get_Info.png (144.57 KiB) Viewed 2064 times

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:23 am
norcoscia offline

I tried to do a client only install since the mac is running 12.3 - wonder if that tripped up something.

Is the Indigo Mac client a single file that I can drag over via USB stick?

_______
Norm

Posted on
Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:44 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Yes, you don't have to run the installer just for the client.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:55 am
norcoscia offline

So on my server mac, I should just find the app that was in your screenshot above and copy it to my new client machine?

Thanks for the help with this!

Never Mind - I figured it out - in the app folder - last place I looked - I'm so stupid :-(

PS. Works great!

_______
Norm

Posted on
Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:44 pm
Radjin offline

jay (support) wrote:
The process is somewhat dependent on exactly what you're doing. There's a process to upgrade on a specific Mac, there's a process to move to another Mac, then there's the process to do both. We don't recommend attempting to do both at the same time as it might make troubleshooting any issues you have more difficult.

My recommended approach is to first upgrade Indigo to the latest version, then move it to the other Mac, as two separate steps. You can verify that the upgrade worked first, then do the move and verify everything is working after that.

Thanks for the tip and for such stable software. It went without a hitch. I made sure everything was updated and worked, migrated to the new Mac, hooked up the DSC alarm through USB, and everything worked. Man what a difference in speed.

Posted on
Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:50 pm
Radjin offline

I guess I ruined my luck by bragging on how well it went. Today there was an update on the M1 Mac mini and after the reboot the Indigo client will not connect to the server. I choose start server but nothing happens. Thinking the update might have broken the app I reinstalled indigo and had the same issue as above where I was asked to install Rosetta. I proceeded as Rosetta won't run unless needed. Anyway, it did not fix the problem, I still cannot connect to the indigo server.

Suggestions?

Posted on
Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:42 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Did you update to 12.3? If so, you broke Indigo. Unless you can downgrade, you're stuck,

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177