Migrating to M1 Mini - checklist

Posted on
Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:58 pm
Radjin offline

Re: Migrating to M1 Mini - checklist

FlyingDiver wrote:
Did you update to 12.3? If so, you broke Indigo. Unless you can downgrade, you're stuck,

Yes I did. I have not received the update notification on my personal M1 Mac and having just gotten the server that has indigo running this weekend I received the notification. I didn't think twice about upgrading.

So how long is this going to be an issue? Downgrading means wiping the internal drive from what I can tell; there's just too much to set up again.

It's not rocket science...

Posted on
Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:00 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Radjin wrote:
So how long is this going to be an issue? Downgrading means wiping the internal drive from what I can tell; there's just too much to set up again.

Last quote from the Indigo team was "weeks, not months, not days".

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:21 pm
Radjin offline

FlyingDiver wrote:
Did you update to 12.3? If so, you broke Indigo. Unless you can downgrade, you're stuck,

FlyingDiver wrote:
Radjin wrote:

Last quote from the Indigo team was "weeks, not months, not days".

I am being punished for not following server rule #1; never, never upgrade until you have checked compatibility. After getting Indigo and SecuritySpy and the alarm and the backups all running on the server, I got time machine running. It made exactly two backups, and both are after the 12.3 upgrade.

I am on hold until the Indigo update comes out. Thanks everyone for the information.

Posted on
Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:54 am
norcoscia offline

If you blow away the machine will it update to the version just prior to 12.3 - I’m not sure but maybe someone here would know. - I remember something a while back about improvements to cleaning out a machine before disposal - but can’t remember the details enough to recommend you that.

_______
Norm

Posted on
Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:03 am
McJohn offline

That's right.
With an external Harddisk or SSD with an OS 12.1 image you can "downgrade" the Mac mini M1 to 12.1
Our Apple Support Engineers have already done this several times.

Posted on
Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:04 am
McJohn offline

Code: Select all
softwareupdate --fetch-full-installer 12.1

Posted on
Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:06 am
Radjin offline

McJohn wrote:
That's right.
With an external Harddisk or SSD with an OS 12.1 image you can "downgrade" the Mac mini M1 to 12.1
Our Apple Support Engineers have already done this several times.

Thanks for the terminal command; I didn’t know that existed. It appears you cannot downgrade the main OS drive. If I have to install on and external then move everything over it would be too much. This Mac handles everything from my iTunes server, to the raid for all our backups, the camera server and the indigo automation as well as security.

Posted on
Wed May 11, 2022 9:07 pm
Radjin offline

A HUGE shoutout to the Indigo team for such a swift turnaround, especially for the dummies like me that updated without checking compatibility.

The latest version has everything back online.

THANK YOU!

Posted on
Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:48 am
Different Computers offline

jay (support) wrote:
The process is somewhat dependent on exactly what you're doing. There's a process to upgrade on a specific Mac, there's a process to move to another Mac, then there's the process to do both. We don't recommend attempting to do both at the same time as it might make troubleshooting any issues you have more difficult.

My recommended approach is to first upgrade Indigo to the latest version, then move it to the other Mac, as two separate steps. You can verify that the upgrade worked first, then do the move and verify everything is working after that.

I'm taking this process very slowly, but as I'm moving from an Intel Mac running 10.13.6 to an M1 running Monterey, upgrading Indigo before migrating to the new machine isn't doable. Any specific recommendations?

EDIT: Wait... somehow I had the impression that 2022.1+ only runs on later OS'es. I see it does run on 10.13.6. So starting that upgrade process now.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:34 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Different Computers wrote:
EDIT: Wait... somehow I had the impression that 2022.1+ only runs on later OS'es. I see it does run on 10.13.6. So starting that upgrade process now.

Correct - Indigo 2022.1 still runs on macOS 10.12 and later, so upgrading first is normally the best approach.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:57 am

Thanks Jay.

What I'm not so certain about is how python changes work on older OSes. Will the new version of Indigo install Python 3 on my 10.13.6 machine, and use it and thereby break all my old, incompatible plugins?

I intend to forge ahead, I just want to know what I'll be dealing with. And while I do have a full backup of my current setup, I'd prefer not to have to go that route of total rollback if something ends up really broken.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:34 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

The Indigo 2022.1 release blog post describes it quite thoroughly.

The version of macOS is irrelevant - it works exactly the same on macOS 10.12 and later.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:57 pm

Though I was way slower than most folks to upgrade (due to a very old MacBook that wouldn't run OS 12) I have now done so and I have to say things went surprisingly smoothly. My sincere thanks to every dev who put so much effort in to updating, and of course to Matt and Jay too. Thanks in advance to the devs who are still working on stuff!

Indigo continues to impress, as does its community.

Pro tip: when copying your Indigo folder from the old computer to the new one, don't do it via the Screen Sharing file transfer, and make sure you are NOT copying it from the source to the desktop of the new machine *if you have iCloud Desktop on.* I got this strange result where the copy had completed, but the folder was greyed out. Probably because the folder needed to move up to iCloud then propagate to all shared desktops until it was everywhere.