Moved to new system, all good except Z-Wave locks

Posted on
Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:51 pm
nitinol offline

Moved to new system, all good except Z-Wave locks

Folks,

I recently purchased a home with an extensive Insteon + Z-Wave home automation setup, using Indigo for interface and control. The inherited system was running on an old iMac and indigo 7 with its subscription expired, so I bought a new seat of Indigo (2021) and a new Mac Mini. I followed the instructions online and copied the database to the new machine, launched Indigo and imported the database and configured the interfaces.

It looks like all the devices came over with the database import, the Insteon devices can all be controlled via Indigo, the Z-Wave multi sensors report data (temp, luminance, etc) and they trigger events in Indigo - BUT - the Z-wave door locks do not appear to be connected to the system. All the locks show up in Indigo, but when I open or close one via the Indigo interface, nothing happens at the lock and if I manipulate the lock the lock status does not change in Indigo.

Any suggestions for debugging the situation with the locks?

Thanks,

Art

Posted on
Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:22 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Moved to new system, all good except Z-Wave locks

Hi Art,

The locks require encryption and you probably don't have the encryption key stored by the previous owner. The solution is to exclude the locks from the Z-Wave controller, then re-include them using encryption (from define/sync inside the device dialog). Locks can be tricky to include since they have to be very close to a module that supports relaying commands to them (or the Z-Wave Controller) during the inclusion process.

Posted on
Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:55 pm
nitinol offline

Re: Moved to new system, all good except Z-Wave locks

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the speedy response. That makes sense. I don't suppose there is any way to simply import the encryption key from the old system? I have both systems running until get all the bugs ironed out.

If not, what is the procedure to make sure they can receive the commands if they are far across the house? Is there a booster or relay that can be employed to get the signals from the controller to the lock?

Thanks,

Art

Page 1 of 1