Moving Indigo 2021.1 from Intel to an Apple Silicon Macmini

Posted on
Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:00 pm
aldera offline

Moving Indigo 2021.1 from Intel to an Apple Silicon Macmini

I just moved my Indigo 2021.1 installation from an Intel Macmini (2014) to an Apple Silicon (M1) Macmini (2020). For the most part, it has gone smoothly. The built-in Alexa is working great as well as most of the plugins I used. However, I thought I'd share a few things that might help out anyone else contemplating the move.

The basic documentation that shows how to do it is at, https://wiki.indigodomo.com/doku.php?id ... ng_started , under the heading, "Moving an Indigo Installation to another Mac." I unregistered my Indigo license, copied the Indigo 20201.1 directory and moved it over to the new machine, ran the Indigo installer and registered the new installation.

After the installation and starting the Indigo Server, all the devices, triggers, etc., showed up normally. However, nothing seemed to work. It turns out, I hadn't identified my Z-Wave stick to Indigo. Just open up the Indigo Preferences panel (see below), select the Interfaces/Z-Wave item and click on the "Configure" button. The "serial port" drop down box was empty. I selected the "usbmodem2201" entry, and voila, it started working.

I included a screenshot of my installed plugins. I had/have problems with 2 of them:

Sonos: When Sonos is first enabled, it checks for a directory under the "Perceptive Automation" directory called. "images/Sonos." If it doesn't find it, it tries to create it. Unfortunately, the plugin doesn't have permission to make directories, so it fails. I just went ahead and manually created it and then it worked fine. You'll also have to go into the "Configure" section of Sonos and update the server IP address to your new server.

Fingscan: I can't get this one to work. When I enable/reload it I get the following log entry:

Code: Select all
 Reloading plugin "fingscan 7.32.65"
   Stopping plugin "fingscan 7.32.65" (pid 50974)
   fingscan Warning                stopConcurrentThread called 1
   Warning                         process (pid 50974) failed to quit after polite request -- forcing it to quit now
   Stopped plugin "fingscan 7.32.65"
   Starting plugin "fingscan 7.32.65" (pid 51028)
   fingscan                        =========================   initializing   ==============================================
   fingscan                        path To files:          ==================
   fingscan                        indigo                  /Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/
   fingscan                        installFolder           /Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 2021.1/
   fingscan                        plugin.py               /Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 2021.1/Plugins/fingscan.indigoPlugin/Contents/Server Plugin/
   fingscan                        Plugin params           /Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 2021.1/Preferences/Plugins/com.karlwachs.fingscan/
   fingscan                        !!!!INFO ONLY!!!!  logger  enabled for   INFO          !!!!INFO ONLY!!!!
   fingscan Warning                !!!!INFO ONLY!!!!  logger  enabled for   WARNING       !!!!INFO ONLY!!!!
   fingscan Error                  !!!!INFO ONLY!!!!  logger  enabled for   ERROR         !!!!INFO ONLY!!!!
   fingscan Error                  !!!!INFO ONLY!!!!  logger  enabled for   CRITICAL      !!!!INFO ONLY!!!!
   fingscan                        check                   /Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 2021.1/Logs/com.karlwachs.fingscan/plugin.log  <<<<    for detailed logging
   fingscan                        Plugin short Name       fing
   fingscan                        my PID                  51028
   fingscan                        set params for indigo V 2021.1
   Started plugin "fingscan 7.32.65"
   fingscan                        testing if variable enableTimeTracking_fing is == on/off/print-option to enable/end/print time tracking of all functions and methods (option:'',calls,cumtime,pcalls,time)
   fingscan                        myLogSet setting parameters -- logFileActive= standard; logFile= ;  debug plugin:[]
   fingscan                        FINGSCAN--   initializing     will take ~ 2 minutes...; sending logs to
   fingscan Warning                leaving WiFi parameters at default, not configured in 'fingscan/Configure...'
   fingscan                        getting password
   fingscan                        get password done;  checking if FING is installed
   fingscan                        fing install check done

After the above log entry, the below window pops up. I click "Cancel" and then I get the following error:

fingscan Error                  error in get fing version#: seems that either /usr/local/bin/fing in not installed or password>>xxxx<< not correct,
returned text from fing probe:echo 'xxxx' | sudo -S /usr/local/bin/fing -v: 
 fingscan Error                 
fing version not avaibale, is it installed? should be:/usr/local/bin/fing
sleeping now for 1 hour, you need to install / configure fing and restart

Any ideas on how to fix this one? Thanks in advance for any help.
Attachments
fing.jpg
fingscan popup
fing.jpg (25.29 KiB) Viewed 1991 times
plugins.jpg
my plugins
plugins.jpg (76.44 KiB) Viewed 1991 times
zwave panel.jpg
z-wave interface panel
zwave panel.jpg (32.95 KiB) Viewed 1991 times
pref panel.jpg
Indigo preference panel
pref panel.jpg (44.29 KiB) Viewed 1991 times

Posted on
Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:13 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Moving Indigo 2021.1 from Intel to an Apple Silicon Macm

Try clearing the quarantine bit on the fing executable:
sudo xattr -rd com.apple.quarantine /usr/local/bin/fing

Posted on
Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:41 pm
aldera offline

matt (support) wrote:
Try clearing the quarantine bit on the fing executable:
sudo xattr -rd com.apple.quarantine /usr/local/bin/fing

Thanks for the reply. Not a Unix guy so I don't really know what exactly this is doing, but I opened Terminal and tried it. I tried reloading fingscan after running the command but got the same error. I stopped the Indigo server and still have the same error.
Attachments
fing.jpg
fing.jpg (31.2 KiB) Viewed 1942 times

Posted on
Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:55 am
kw123 offline

I am moving from a Mac Pro 2012 to a Mac mini m1 next week.
I will then try to make fing run for that setup.

Karl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:13 am
aldera offline

kw123 wrote:
I am moving from a Mac Pro 2012 to a Mac mini m1 next week.
I will then try to make fing run for that setup.

Karl

That would be great. Thanks.
Ralph

Posted on
Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:54 pm
kw123 offline

I moved from mac pro 2012 (12 cpu 64GB/1TB ssd) to a mac mini m1 (8CPU, 16GB/1TB)

Migration was almost w/out issue, here the steps:

1. disable indigo license on old mac pro
2. stop indigo server
3. migrate files from mac pro to M1 w apple migration tool
4. change IP numbers mac-mini-m1 to old ip number, give old mac pro a new one
5. install rosetta lib (prompted for postgres to run)
6. delete library/application support/postgres/v-xxx/postmaster.pid (error when starting: Postgres postmaster file is stale)
7. plugin usb cables (added a usb-C to 4 usb3 hub) for zwave, insteon, Caddx, RFXcom, apc
only zwave needed help, - disconnect zwave cable, check out the options in configure zwave, plug cable back in, go again to zwave config/ ports and find the new one. assign that one to zwave
8. added a HDMI dummy plug for the screen resolution

Everything works, all plugins...

CPU load on the mac mini -m1 is a little higher(10%) than on the old mac pro 2012 (5%), but still pretty small

And the power consumption is 1/5th of the mac pro

Karl

ps
Now I have to figure out which room I want to heat w the old mac pro

Posted on
Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:00 am
Different Computers offline

thanks for doing all the hard work in advance for me! I expect to move to an M1 (or hopefully M1x) machine in the next couple of months.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:56 am
kw123 offline

.. ps the power consumption in my server room is now down to 140-200 watts from > 600 with mac pro 2012

2 mac mini,
1 unifi gateway pro
1 unifi 24 250 watt switch
1 unifi ap
1 raspberry py one att fiber modem
and 6 APC backup power units.. that should last now >> 6 hours

..and I am going to add a switchbot bot (yes thats the name) to be able to manually switch on/off the indigo mac mini in case of power shut down and restart when I am not at home
It currently needs indigo to trigger, will add an iphone short cut vpn --> --> router --> raspberry --> BLE --> shwitchbot bot ( currently indigo --> raspberry -->BLE --> shwitchbot bot )

Karl

Posted on
Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:08 pm
Korey offline

kw123 wrote:

..and I am going to add a switchbot bot (yes thats the name) to be able to manually switch on/off the indigo mac mini in case of power shut down and restart when I am not at home
It currently needs indigo to trigger, will add an iphone short cut vpn --> --> router --> raspberry --> BLE --> shwitchbot bot ( currently indigo --> raspberry -->BLE --> shwitchbot bot )

Karl

Switchbot would be a great plugin to have for Indigo! :wink:

--
Korey

Posted on
Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:09 pm
kw123 offline

It is setup in pibeacon. As a relay device

Page 1 of 1