Tips for configuring home router with Indigo considerations?

Posted on
Fri May 14, 2021 12:41 pm
ryanbuckner offline

Tips for configuring home router with Indigo considerations?

I just upgraded my home router so there's an opportunity to start from scratch. I'm looking for any best practices for configuring my home network with Indigo in mind.

1) For example should I designate a certain range of IP addresses for IoT devices?
2) Does anyone use a separate antenna just for devices?
3) Should I consider QOS changes for these devices?

Thanks for the tips in advance. I'm planning to install my new router this afternoon.

Posted on
Fri May 14, 2021 1:57 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Re: Tips for configuring home router with Indigo considerati

1) For example should I designate a certain range of IP addresses for IoT devices?
2) Does anyone use a separate antenna just for devices?
3) Should I consider QOS changes for these devices?

Some people go all in and create new VLANs, fancy routing, etc. More common would be some of the less complicated setups, such as:

• Designate a range of IP addresses for IoT and Camera setup
  • Block ranges that should not access the internet
  • Turn off UPnP so that devices can't open ports...
  • Enable VPN if need to be able to remote in from away
  • If using WiFi devices, potentially setup a second WiFi configuration on a different channel strictly for IoT or security devices
  • Some people restrict a secondary IoT WiFi by MAC address, though this is a weak security tactic, it has the potential of blocking some script-kiddy type automated attacks
Just some random thoughts... not saying I do all those, just some relatively common ones I hear on here. As I said, some go really far and create separate VLANs with custom routing tables and such, though that ability depends on both the router and your familiarity with networking.

Adam

Posted on
Mon May 17, 2021 10:25 am
ryanbuckner offline

Thanks. These recommendations are in line with what I was reading. I added all my IoT to a separate network (Guest) and I'm not seeing that the Indigo Server cannot see all those items. Everything cloud based does not seem to be an issue, but if I need to add an IP address in a configuration, Indigo cannot see it.

If I have Indigo using an internet connection to the main network, can I also have it join the Guest network over Wifi so it can see both networks? . If I do that, have I just defeated the purpose?

Posted on
Tue May 18, 2021 6:34 pm
jltnol offline

One thing that has help me in addition to what's been mentioned, is to assign IP addresses based on the MAC address of the connected device. For me, it was just easier to keep all those numbers straight. A spreadsheet doesn't hurt either.

Posted on
Wed May 19, 2021 8:03 am
RogueProeliator offline

If I have Indigo using an internet connection to the main network, can I also have it join the Guest network over Wifi so it can see both networks? . If I do that, have I just defeated the purpose?

I'm not sure I would put them on the Guest network... that isn't quite what a guest network is designed to do and I suspect the router is going to make certain assumptions and restrictions that just isn't worth fighting.

Part of what many people want to restrict is the outbound traffic - so, say, you can be sure a security camera isn't "calling home" or talking to an outside service. The guest network would not accomplish that. You might be able to do that by IP address on your router, though, if interested in trying. To some people this isn't a big deal, usually depending upon the type of device.

Adam

Page 1 of 1