Big Sur and Z-Stick Gen2 Broken

Posted on
Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:22 pm
rllr.coaster offline

Big Sur and Z-Stick Gen2 Broken

Just a heads up to anyone thinking of upgrading to Big Sur.

After upgrading to MacOS Big Sur (Version 11.0.1 I received the dreaded "Z-Wave Controller" serial port open error: [Errno 2] could not open port error.

I have a Aeotec Gen2 Z-Stick

After installing the latest version of the USB to UART Bridge VCP Drivers (v5.3.5) and restarting everything the error was unchanged.

I found this on the Silicon Labs developers forum https://www.silabs.com/community/interf ... r110x-SWJK Which says it's a known problem and the an incompatibility exists between Big Sur and the driver.

I guess it's time for me to endure the pain and suffering associated with replacing my Z-Stick with the newer Z-Stick Gen5 or Gen5+ If I remember correctly then only option is to rebuild the entire Z-Wave network with the new Z-Stick. Anything else I should be considering before this effort?

Posted on
Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:28 am
jltnol offline

Re: Big Sur and Z-Stick Gen2 Broken

And just one more Big Sur note, it appears that the Indigo Client is working just fine with Big Sur. Note, I have not migrated my Indigo Server to Big Sur, just the desktop that I use the client on.

YMMV!

JT

Posted on
Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:57 am
davinci offline

My installation with a zwave.me UZB1 (and RFXCOM) works without any issues so far.

Posted on
Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:23 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

jltnol wrote:
And just one more Big Sur note, it appears that the Indigo Client is working just fine with Big Sur. Note, I have not migrated my Indigo Server to Big Sur, just the desktop that I use the client on.

Hey JT, can you reproduce the issue reported here? Just curious.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:48 pm
jltnol offline

I though I had replied to this. (just noticing I replied in the Bug post...)

I am NOT seeing this with BigSur

Devices, Triggers, Schedules, Action Groups, Pages.... all open and edit correctly , and write data back to the server as expected.

Posted on
Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:42 pm
rllr.coaster offline

The internet is full of very knowledgeable and talented people. A couple of which have helped me to resolve my issues with Big Sur and my Z-Stick.

The following thread on the SILabs forums contains the relevent workaround - https://www.silabs.com/community/interf ... gsur1-ex5T

I had to go into recovery mode, issue some system commands, reboot, reinstall the SiLabs driver, reboot and voila, it's all works.

I'm still planning to replace my Z-Stick with the Gen5+ version. Any guidence as to how to do a replacement such would be appreciated.

Page 1 of 1