Can't Start Server - Fresh Install

Posted on
Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:09 am
downindm offline

Can't Start Server - Fresh Install

Ok, so my old Mac Mini finally gave up the ghost, so I just went out and bought a brand new 2020 model. So I ran all the updates to get the OS current. Installed Indigo and the latest FTDI driver (disabling SIP before I installed either). I had my licenses deregistered, restarted and launched Indigo. Since this was a first run on the new machine, I selected Start Local Server as directed. It then tells me it couldn't connect to the server. Bringing up the License menu option, it doesn't seem to finish loading as I can't enter anything in either text box. I'm stuck... I know this is an older unsupported version, but hoping someone can help. I have a 7.4 license, but I still have a lot of Applescript stuff I use, so I had been hanging back from upgrading until I had time to redo all that stuff. I'm attaching a screenshot that has additional information I thought might be helpful and illustrates what I'm seeing.

Screen Shot 2020-11-01 at 11.56.00 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-01 at 11.56.00 AM.png (470.43 KiB) Viewed 1086 times

Posted on
Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:28 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Re: Can't Start Server - Fresh Install

First thing, turn off the Firewall totally. Unless you're port forwarding from your router to your Indigo server, or you're on a un-secure network, there's really no benefit to the built-in firewall.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:28 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Since you are running Catalina on the new Mac you'll have to use the Indigo 7.4 license – versions older than that aren't compatible with Catalina. Unfortunately this also means your AppleScripts won't work. This blog post has details (and tips) about migrating away from AppleScript, and on this forum you can post specific AppleScripts you are having a hard time converting. Note also lots of folks will find there are new Indigo actions or plugins that can be used as replacements for some of their AppleScripts.

Posted on
Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:36 pm
peszko offline

FlyingDiver wrote:
Unless you're port forwarding from your router to your Indigo server, or you're on a un-secure network, there's really no benefit to the built-in firewall.

I would have to disagree on that one. I believe that each device on the local network should be isolated unless otherwise required. Other devices, even unexpected (as IOT, or printers) can be used as internal attack vectors. Also, the firewall might be misconfigured, or not updated against latest vulnerabilities. I believe in security in depth. External firewall, internal firewall, segmentation and monitoring. Not everyone can or is capable of all, but the mac firewall is better on then off in my opinion. It is also relatively simple to configure.

I have the mac firewall on on my indigo server and have no issues with it. You just need to tell it that Indigo (client and server) are ok to receive connections.

Page 1 of 1