Cannot enable Powerlinc 2413U after installing Wacom tablet

Posted on
Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:12 pm
rlgeltman offline

Cannot enable Powerlinc 2413U after installing Wacom tablet

I purchased a new iMac about two weeks ago and successfully transferred Indigo 7.4.1 to it and got my reflector activated, etc. Everything was working fine. Yesterday, I installed a new graphics tablet, a Wacom Intuos Pro tablet and after that lost the ability to connect with the Powerlinc or enable or disable it. I turned off the tablet, disconnected it from the computer, switched out the usb cable, unplugged the Powerlinc, rebooted, etc., without benefit. Fortunately, I had an unused older laptop running Mac OS 10.13.6 and again transferred everything to this "new computer," that did not have a tablet installed. After struggling with the transfer and reflector activation, everything worked perfectly with the same Powerlinc, usb cable, etc. This proves, I think, that the problem is the tablet and its drivers.

I found an old post about someone who had intermittent problems with a Powerlinc after installing a tablet but little else. Anyone with insight into this problem. I've got the system working but now need two computers to do what always was accomplished with one before.

Thanks

Posted on
Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:38 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Cannot enable Powerlinc 2413U after installing Wacom tab

Did you try moving the tablet to different usb ports/hubs? It definitely sounds like the tablet is the issue, but it's unclear if it's a driver issue or a USB contention issue. Do some research on your iMac's USB layout and try making sure that the PowerLinc is on a completely different USB bus from your tablet - that might help if it's a contention issue.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:44 am
rlgeltman offline

The 2020 iMac has 4 USB-A ports on the back. I tried a different cable and did switch from its original placement to an adjacent port (just one.) I’ll look into how the four ports are configured. I know that for most iMacs, there are two thunderbolt ports available but they share- if that’s the right term- a single bus.

I’ll look into the USB issue as you suggest.

Thanks

Posted on
Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:59 am
rlgeltman offline

The 2020 27” iMac appears to have a single USB 3.1 bus which is labeled as “composite.” If the graphics tablet is running I can see how it might interfere with the USB connection to the 2413U. However, when I disconnect the tablet from the computer and remove the USB cable, the problem persists. It seems to me that the Wacom driver is the problem. I don’t think there’s much that can be done about this although i think it likely that at least a few Indigo 7 users also use a graphics tablet from Wacom and either do or do not have this problem.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Posted on
Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:26 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

These kinds of issues (low-level USB issues) are always super hard to diagnose and figure out if/how to workaround. Have you tried plugging the PowerLinc into a USB2 hub rather than directly? Not sure if that'll help, but it has made differences in other scenarios.

Not sure I've ever heard of anyone successfully using a tablet with a PowerLinc at the same time. There have been issues with hard drives on the same bus as the PowerLinc in the past, but I haven't heard of that kind of issue in several years, so I expect the macOS USB subsystem was tweaked to handle that scenario.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Page 1 of 1