Replaced PowerLink USB 2413U, V1.7 to 2.5

Posted on
Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:21 pm
AlaskaDave offline

Replaced PowerLink USB 2413U, V1.7 to 2.5

Recently I lost all lights (on PowerLink) and communication to my PowerLink. When changing these out is there a process to follow or just plug and and you're off and running? Thanks for any help one can give.
Last edited by AlaskaDave on Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:55 pm
AlaskaDave offline

Re: Replaced PowerLink USB 2413U, V1.7 to 2.5

Looks like I found my answer:
Questions: Does this mean that I need to wake up all my motion sensors by removing them and having them close at hand so I can press the set button on the inside with the batteries?

Replacing Your PowerLinc
If your PowerLinc is ever replaced, then you must re-sync all of your devices. This will ensure that all devices have their internal links updated to reflect the new PowerLinc's INSTEON address. If you are replacing a 2414U with a newer PowerLinc, you may also need to install the drivers for your new PowerLinc.

Once you have the driver installed, just connect the PowerLinc to your Mac. If you're switching from a 2414 to one of the current ones, you'll need to select it in the config dialog for INSTEON. Otherwise you'll need to select the new Serial Port in that same dialog. Once you click “Save” on that dialog, Indigo will prompt you to resync all links - do that. Once it's done, all links in all devices should be correct. Be sure to have any battery-powered devices close at hand - you'll need to press and hold the set button to wake them up.

Note: that any links that you create, either using the UIs described above, or by manual linking must be marked as Persistent in the link dialogs in order for them to be recreated correctly. For links that you create manually between devices, when you have the manual links created successfully, you must come back to Indigo and sync the device(s) links. The manual links will show up in the dialogs - you must then mark them as Persistent in order for them to be retained when doing a resync/replacement.

Posted on
Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:26 pm
AlaskaDave offline

Well, not responses to my post so will follow-up myself. I found that many if not most of my battery devices required re-sycing so required some footwork to update their communication with the new PowerLink. The previous PowerLink needed to be reset during power outages, not sure if this one will require the same thing... not easy when you're away from the house. I noticed that some of my plug-in devices also required being reset and were not responding to timers and or the iPhone application. All in all I got everything working again, hope this PowerLink lasts at least as long as the previous one. I've read that overheating is the culprit according to Insteon, not sure how accurate that is as it's the only thing in the outlet and is in a cooler room of the house.

Posted on
Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:07 am
t-star offline

Just wanted to provide a note here for others. I just replaced my 2413U that was a v1.0 with a v2.5. I was regularly getting errors from my keypad links (especially if I did a status request on them) and they have all pretty much gone away. Am seeing much less red in the logs so it appears that the upgrade has certainly resolved some bugs.

If you are having issues that you can't seem to resolve and you have an old version, may want to consider the upgrade.

Posted on
Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:42 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Good information, thanks. That newer version also seems to (somewhat?) mitigate the FTDI driver issue as well. Anyone planning on continuing the use of Insteon and has a version older than 2.5 might want to consider upgrading for what appears to be a couple of good reasons.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:53 am
t-star offline

Yes. That was the other reason I upgraded. I did the clean install of 10.15 and had no issues with the FTDI driver on a 2014 Mac mini.

Page 1 of 1