New to Indogo 7.4, coming from 6 - Aeotec Devices

Posted on
Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:17 pm
falcon77 offline

New to Indogo 7.4, coming from 6 - Aeotec Devices

Back here from years, hope you are all well and safe :) .

During this "stay @home" time I have had the time to look back to my Indigo Domotic stuff, I upgraded to 7.4 and spent some time trying to make my z-wave response "better" and "faster". I am also trying to see if I can optimize the range, I have a three floors house and the controller is in the Basement ( I know that it would be better on the ground floor, but I would need to divorce for the third time if I take my Macmini close to the Kitchen, so it will stay in the Basement. :D

Installed base:
Z-wave stick 2 Aeotec and many Aeotec devices. I.e Micro Smart Energy Switch (DSC18), Micro Smart Energy Illuminator (DSC19) and others. I have noticed that some of the Sync menus have changed and there are also many options.
I have few questions about the Panel "Configure Relay Model": it says for Micro Smart Energy Switch (DSC18) "Indigo does not currently have a device definition for this model, use the button above to submit a report..." But it an old device, should be there for sure, Is it not recognised properly? I have the same configuration since 3 versions of Indigo, Never changed anything, is the old config ot reporting some data to 7.4? Strange fact is that other (DSC18), instead, are recognised. Suggestions? (they both work). see attachment, same device type, one is recognised, the other is not

Other questions:
- Does the 7.4 have "magic tricks to enhance the range and speed? (I am not going for Z.wave stick 5 because I am not sure it would improve anything if I don't change all devices to "5".
- If I go from Stick Z2 to Stick Z5 does Indogo 7.4 helpm in avoiding to having to reconfigure all devices? will I improve the range and the speed only changing th eAeotec Z-stick?
- There use to be a way to see which devices are registered to the Z-wave stick, is it still there? if so, where?

Thanks in advance for your support,

/franckie
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-04-10 at 23.10.02.png
Screen Shot 2020-04-10 at 23.10.02.png (240.27 KiB) Viewed 1189 times
Screen Shot 2020-04-10 at 23.09.36.png
Screen Shot 2020-04-10 at 23.09.36.png (342.38 KiB) Viewed 1189 times

Posted on
Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:29 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Re: New to Indogo 7.4, coming from 6 - Aeotec Devices

Does the 7.4 have "magic tricks to enhance the range and speed?

I doubt your controller itself is connecting to very many devices directly, so I personally would not purchase another and have much confidence in it improving things; and software isn't going to extend the range really. I am not saying newer software and drivers might not help, but firmware or software drivers can only do so much...

One option, maybe... I found that the Aeotec range extender works pretty well to extend out the signal -- one of my energy monitors is far from its closest neighbor (it is outside, but has to go through 2 masonry walls plus distance between them); I added the range extender between the two and re-synced those two devices and now has reliable communication. They are small and just plug into an outlet - maybe you could put one between your basement controller and the first device (or between two other devices if it is the 1st-to-2nd floor that is the issue).

Posted on
Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:20 pm
falcon77 offline

Thanks for your prompt reply, do you have the link to the extender? does it work with Gen 2? (I guess so)

Thanks,

/frankie

Posted on
Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:47 pm
Dual offline

https://aeotec.com/z-wave-repeater/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:51 pm
Dual offline

I have a large house. I use a couple of range extenders. I also have a half dozen smart plugs that extend the range as well. My network is snappy. I have about a hundred Z-wave devices. I use the Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5. You may want to upgrade to it if you are on version 2?

https://aeotec.com/z-wave-usb-stick/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:20 pm
falcon77 offline

Great Job Thanks & have a Nice Easter! :D

Page 1 of 1