Transferring from Homelink to Indigo and removing old links

Posted on
Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:51 pm
Atrain offline

Transferring from Homelink to Indigo and removing old links

I have inherited an Insteon system, which is about 15 years old with about 50 switches etc. The system was originally managed using Homelink. However that system left with the previous owner. I have installed Indigo and have managed to set up multiple timers for lights to switch on and off. However I see many switches , as per the attached, which have controllers and responders that I cannot edit. I believe many of the switches have been replaced over the 15 year time frame and there seems to be links to many "old switches" that are no longer present. The links all appear as uneditable or non erasable. In the software what is the best way to manage this issue. I can't see an easy way to do this in the software. Do I have to erase the contents of every switch to start again and if so do I have to do this manually by restoring each switch to factory settings and would that take care of the problem? This seems to dslow the system down and many of the lights flash on and off when other switches are pressed
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-04-05 at 4.34.32 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-04-05 at 4.34.32 PM.png (429.26 KiB) Viewed 880 times

Posted on
Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:00 pm
Doctor Q offline

Re: Transferring from Homelink to Indigo and removing old li

If you’re not using the original PLM then yeah, you have to factory reset all the Insteon devices and link them to your existing PLM. I had to do this when I switched from ISY to Indigo. The switches are easy, but OutletLincs and FanLincs are a pain. Instructions for devices can be found on Smarthome’s web site. If you don’t do this, all those ghost links to the previous PLM will raise hell with your present system. Save your sanity!
OTOH, I’ve never heard of a PLM lasting 15 years, as they’re known for going flaky shortly after the 2 year warranty expires.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:16 pm
Korey offline

Hold down the Option key while opening "Manage links..." on each device.

That should give you the option to select all those bad links and delete them without having to factory reset each device.

Then Sync the device to delete the unused links.

Not sure if this is the best way to approach, or if a factory wipe would be best, but worth a shot for those devices that are hard to access.

--
Korey

Posted on
Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:30 am
peszko offline

With Insteon, I had to periodically factory reset some devices even under normal circumstances. I'd suggest not to take chances and factory reset all devices.

Page 1 of 1