Is it safe...to upgrade to Catalina?

Posted on
Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:02 pm
sarahcat offline

Is it safe...to upgrade to Catalina?

:D At the risk of invoking "Marathon Man", now that I've successfully upgraded to Indigo 7.4 on Mojave, I'd like to upgrade MacOS to Catalina. Is it safe to give it a shot, at least with regard to Indigo?

I haven't seen many comments about experience with Indigo 7.4, post Catalina. A lot of BS about wanting older versions of Indigo to work with Catalina, but not much about how it has been going if I were to upgrade to Catalina with the 64-bit Indigo Server. :roll:

Posted on
Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:52 pm
roussell offline

Re: Is it safe...to upgrade to Catalina?

I’m running 7.4 on Catalina on a 2012 Mini and have had no problems thus far. But have a good Time Machine backup just in case!

Terry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:57 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

We encourage folks to take a wait and see approach with major macOS upgrades to give Apple time to work through bugs. That said, so far we haven't had reports of any major problems with Catalina. The Indigo 7.4.0 installer has to be open via right-click and choosing the Open menu, but we'll get that fixed in 7.4.1.

The biggest gotcha with 7.4, which isn't specific to running it on Catalina, is that AppleScript support is gone (for AppleScripts targeting the Indigo Server). But most people are finding now that their AppleScripts can be replaced with functionality and actions offered in plugins, or with equivalent python scripts.

Posted on
Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:22 pm
durosity offline

I'm now running my Mac mini on Catalina after a disastrous upgrade from Mojave (Clean install fixed it all) and I've only had very minor issues with it so far.. a few things to watch out for:

Gatekeeper seems to really hate embedded executables in plugins (various work arounds)

I'm not sure if it's something on my setup but Indigo 7.4 doesn't seem to be able to determine my location correctly so sunrise/sunset calculations were way off - fixed by adding the lon/lat manually (@Matt and Jay any comment on this?)

iTunes plugin won't work for obvious reasons

Apcupsd plugin won't work as there's no update to Apcupsd as of yet for Catalina

Not indigo related but Logitech seem to be refusing to update the Harmony remote controller for 64 bit compatibility which angers me. Also fonts on non-retina displays look very blocky. There's various different techniques that people have used to try and fix this.. IMO none of them really leave it looking as crisp as they were on older systems.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:43 pm
FlyingDiver offline

durosity wrote:
Not indigo related but Logitech seem to be refusing to update the Harmony remote controller for 64 bit compatibility which angers me.

That's one of the few apps I'm now maintaining a Mojave VM in Parallels for.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:50 pm
durosity offline

FlyingDiver wrote:
durosity wrote:
Not indigo related but Logitech seem to be refusing to update the Harmony remote controller for 64 bit compatibility which angers me.

That's one of the few apps I'm now maintaining a Mojave VM in Parallels for.

Yeah same.. it’s just frustrating I have to do that for a current product. I can completely understand it for older products like my DroboPro but something I could order off amazon today.. it just doesn’t feel right.. especially after the whole XMPP debacle less than 12 months ago...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Computer says no.

Posted on
Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:57 pm
DaveL17 offline

durosity wrote:
Apcupsd plugin won't work as there's no update to Apcupsd as of yet for Catalina

Word just in....there is chance that a 64-bit version of apcupsd may be in the offing. No idea if or when that might happen, but I would describe the prospects as promising.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:10 pm
durosity offline

Ah excellent... I was hoping that’d happen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:32 am
Ramias offline

durosity wrote:
Gatekeeper seems to really hate embedded executables in plugins (various work arounds)

I am interested in more information on this. Any way to check which plugins use embedded executables? What are the workarounds? Just press "Allow" when prompted on the Server?

Posted on
Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:17 am
durosity offline

I’ve not found that works, even when it gives the option. I found a few different ways worked depending on the plugin. Usually it was when that option appears open the security pref pane then click allow there, but if that doesn’t work opening the plugins contents and manually running the executable by right click -> open and allowing that worked. A couple (Fing for example) required disabling gate keeper, running it, starting the plugin, re-enabling gatekeeper, restarting the plugin. A mixture of these got everything working for me. Hope this helps.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:40 am
Ramias offline

Interesting. I'm curious if it would be worth a new thread and eventually a wiki page with plugin-specific information to help those upgrading to Catalina.

Posted on
Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:54 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

You can try clearing the quarantine bit from the extended file attributes via the Terminal:

Code: Select all
sudo xattr -rd com.apple.quarantine PLUGIN_PATH_HERE

Posted on
Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:36 am
Ramias offline

can you do that for the entire Plugins folder?

Code: Select all
/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7.4/Plugins

Posted on
Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:41 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

I believe so but I haven't verified if it works. Be sure and put it in quotes or escape the spaces.

Posted on
Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:47 pm
Ramias offline

Ok I did the upgrade. No issues with Gatekeeper (yet) and have not yet run the Gatekeeper command from above. I do have Fingscan but may not be using the feature that triggers Gatekeeper.

My logs do show a number of Z-Wave related issues though, that had not been seen prior to the Catalina upgrade. I have the Aeotec Gen 5.

Getting this for a number of devices:
Z-Wave Error no ack/nak/busy reply (022) for requestBatteryLevel (re-sending)
Z-Wave Error no ack/nak/busy reply (026) for requestRelayStatus (re-sending)

and this
Z-Wave Error received "Jill Room Switch" power load value out-of-bounds -2147483.648 W (ignored)

And then a status failed on a plugged-in device that is just a few feet away.

UPDATE
==============
Found some Mojave threads with pointers on this.

Unplugged the Z-Stick, cold shutdown. Started my Mac, started Indigo, and plugged the Z-Stick back in. Confirmed the Interfsce had the correct device (it did) and awake items now seem to work. This has persisted across a reboot.