Error installing Indigo 7.4 on 10.15 Catalina

Posted on
Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:19 pm
jstackmk offline

Error installing Indigo 7.4 on 10.15 Catalina

Tried to upgrade from 7.3 to 7.4 on a Mac that I had upgraded to 10.15 Catalina (to test out stuff on).

I get "Indigo.installer.pkg" can't be opened because Apple cannot check if for malicious software. This software needs to be updated. Contact the developer for more information.

I don't see anyone else reporting this.

7.4 is running fine on my other Mac running 10.14.6 Mojave.

[MODERATOR NOTE] Indigo 7.4.1 is now available and includes an Apple notarized installer and disk image. You should now be able to just double-click on the installer to launch it.

Posted on
Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:38 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Re: error installing Indigo 7.4 on 10.15 Catalina

Right click on the Installer package and select "Open".

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:49 pm
jstackmk offline

hmmmm. So yes, normal installation procedure . I had tried that a few times with the same error before posting. Tried again. Same error. Tried downloading again. Same error. Tried rebooting. Same error. Shut down the machine. Installed ok. hmmmm - go figure.

Posted on
Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:50 pm
FlyingDiver offline

It's what I had to do on my MBP that just upgraded. On my mini, I upgraded to 7.4 before I installed Catalina.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:32 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Yes - this is a known issue that we're working on.

There are two options to get the installer to run correctly:

1. Right-clicking (or CMD-clicking or double finger clicking on a track pad) the Indigo Installer.pkg and selecting Open from the menu, then clicking the Open button on the resulting dialog
  2. Try to run it normally (by double-clicking the Indigo Installer.pkg file), and then close the resulting error dialog. Then, open the System Preferences->Security & Privacy panel and it should give you the option of running the installer from there as well.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:48 am
Mark offline

Re: Error installing Indigo 7.4 on 10.15 Catalina

FYI: I got the same error. Ignored it by using the alternate "Open" method. To be clear, I installed the Server on a Mojave machine, which went well, without errors. I got the error while installing just the Client on a remote machine.

I also get this in my log. I believe this is part of 7.4 checking for things from 7.3 it's not going to like, or run. I got the one remaining AppleScript I'm using. It's external and doesn't target Indigo. I'll test that in a bit, But these four "red" lines appear like they might be something in one of Indigo's internal scripts maybe? I don't recognize "showDeprecatedUsage" as one of my creations. The error occurred. just after the old database was converted to new, and right before (or during) what appears to be Indigo's house-cleaning of AppleScripts:

Code: Select all
   Saving converted database file "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7.4/Databases/xxxxxxxxx.indiDb"
   Error                           internal error calculating showDeprecatedUsage
   Error                           UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\u25ca' in position 0: ordinal not in range(128)
   Error                           internal error calculating showDeprecatedUsage
   Error                           UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\u25ca' in position 0: ordinal not in range(128)

The following Indigo objects execute external file AppleScripts. Those AppleScripts will continue to work as long as they do not target the Indigo Server. For more details see: indigodomo.com/applescript

I've gotten these types of ascii/unicode errors before, so I know how to fix them. But like I said, I don't think "showDeprecatedUsage" is mine. Unless "showDeprecatedUsage" is telling me that the errant character is in one of my py scripts it's checking. If so, OK, but it's not telling me in which script the character was found.

Ideas?

Posted on
Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:08 am
Mark offline

Also, prior to installation, I removed the Indigo item from my Login Items. I was expecting that to be restored after installation, but it wasn't. Perhaps that was an old item? My "Auto start..." option is checked. And I stopped and restarted the engine, but the item is still not in Login items. Is this version of Indigo using some other "At startup" method? A LaunchAgent or LaunchDaemon, or should I manually restore that Login item?

Posted on
Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:48 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

We have the installer warning taken care of in Indigo 7.4.1 (not yet available, but likely soon).

The internal error calculating showDeprecatedUsage errors are also fixed in 7.4.1. They are caused by non-ASCII characters in AppleScripts. If you see those errors after choosing the Show AppleScript Usage in Event Log menu item, then you still have some embedded AppleScripts in your database (either in actions or a conditional). Indigo 7.4.1 will be able to show you details about where they are.

Mark wrote:
Also, prior to installation, I removed the Indigo item from my Login Items

Indigo doesn't add any items to the login items. If you have the option selected in the Start Local Server dialog then Indigo adds a LaunchAgent .plist to have just the server process started. We recommend against adding the Indigo client to the login items, as it will also try to start the Indigo Server which can conflict with the LaunchAgent process starting the server.

Posted on
Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:21 pm
Mark offline

Roger on the Login item. Thanks.

I'm pretty sure I only have one AppleScript left. It is external, and doesn't target Indigo. And that's what the Event log also indicated, just the one. Could the errant character be in that external script, or are you sure it can only be in an internal one?

Prior to learning about the tool you were going to provide, I hunted down AppleScripts by searching the database file with BBEdit. That's how I think I know I don't have any other AppleScripts...

Is the "Show AppleScript Usage in Event Log" process supposed to tell you where the AppleScripts are, or just tell you that some exist?

Or should I just wait for 7.4.1 and sort this out then?

Posted on
Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:30 pm
Mark offline

I just searched my DB again.

OK, my bad. I have "some" AppleScript stuff remaining. One is an AppleScript that I had previously converted to a Python comment, because it has some notes I wanted to keep. The other is a deprecated Action Group (one that I replaced with a Python solution) that had an AppleScript in it, but I see now that your installer commented that out (similar to how I commented out that first one). And the third is an AppleScript that I am calling from a Python script using "subprocess.call".

Perhaps one of those three is triggering the error...

Posted on
Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:32 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Mark wrote:
Is the "Show AppleScript Usage in Event Log" process supposed to tell you where the AppleScripts are, or just tell you that some exist?

Or should I just wait for 7.4.1 and sort this out then?

Correct, it will show you (in the Event Log) where they are in 7.4.1. The bug you are hitting it causing it to fail and not log anything useful.

Posted on
Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:33 pm
Mark offline

Here's the only one of those three I actually need to keep in the database:
Code: Select all
# uses AppleScript and System Events to restart

import subprocess
subprocess.call(['osascript', '-e', 'tell app "System Events" to restart'])

I use that to restart the computer the server is on. Unless you can suggest a Python script that can restart the MacOS...

Posted on
Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:45 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

I'd probably leave that one as-is. There might be other ways to do it (command line "shutdown -r") but in this case I think just using AppleScript would be a good approach.

Posted on
Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:24 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Indigo 7.4.1 is now available and includes an Apple notarized installer and disk image. You should now be able to just double-click on the installer to launch it.

Posted on
Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:56 pm
jtimleckforum offline

jay (support) wrote:
Yes - this is a known issue that we're working on.

There are two options to get the installer to run correctly:

1. Right-clicking (or CMD-clicking or double finger clicking on a track pad) the Indigo Installer.pkg and selecting Open from the menu, then clicking the Open button on the resulting dialog
  2. Try to run it normally (by double-clicking the Indigo Installer.pkg file), and then close the resulting error dialog. Then, open the System Preferences->Security & Privacy panel and it should give you the option of running the installer from there as well.

Thanks but this doesn't work - at least not in Monterey - the Indigo 6 installers are TOO old and will NOT work on previous OSs - it would be helpful if you would please include them as an "add on", if you will. Right now my Indigo is useless in anything other than El Capitan at this point.