Error bookmark alias file path could not be resolved

Posted on
Tue May 21, 2019 9:07 am
Turribeach offline

Error bookmark alias file path could not be resolved

Hi, getting this error "bookmark alias file path could not be resolved" as I moved my Indigo install to a new Mac. I know why I get it and I know how to fix it but is there a way to find out which objects (triggers, schedules, action groups) point to which scripts so I can have a clear picture of what needs to be fixed? In other words it's there a way to know which objects use Python scripts? Thanks

Posted on
Tue May 21, 2019 4:44 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Error bookmark alias file path could not be resolved

Unfortunately, there isn't a way to have Indigo log the parent/owner information for that error. Having errors log what parent trigger/schedule/etc. owns the offending script/logic is on the feature request list. It requires quite a bit of plumbing work under-the-hood, which is why we haven't added it yet. Internally by the time a script is executed its parent triggers/schedule is long forgotten.

Posted on
Tue May 21, 2019 11:27 pm
Turribeach offline

I presume it’s then not even possible to know which objects have Python code embedded in them either right? Over the years I have written several scripts and Python embedded code. Every now and then I find myself trying to find out where is that piece of code I wrote to reuse it or even revisit it but I can’t remember where it is or find it. So I am thinking to do the following (please tell me if it makes sense or I am going crazy):

1) review every object I have and remove any Python embedded code from the object itself and place it on physical files.
2) to be able to have traceability of where each piece of code gets used I will create top level folders for each object type (ie trigger/schedule/action group) and folders for each object name. That way I can have a central repository of code and also do searches across all my code, etc.

For shared scripts I was thinking to follow the above as well but instead of having an actual script in the object folder I could have a symlink to a generic script in a folder called “shared scripts”. That should also allow me to do a search to know where is the shared script being calle from.

Have I gone nuts?

Posted on
Wed May 22, 2019 5:49 am
DaveL17 offline

Embedded scripts are stored in the Indigo database file and are placed within the <ScriptSource> tag. The scripts are stored as an encoded string, so you'll see escaped hexadecimal codes for things like line feeds (i.e., &#x0A;) but once you find the code you're after, you can look at the <name> tag within the XML node to identify where the script is stored and then copy it from there.

Make a copy of the database and use that to do your searches.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Wed May 22, 2019 4:51 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Your folder layout idea sounds reasonable, but as Dave mentioned you can search the database file pretty easily directly (but definitely make a backup before you start editing it!).

Posted on
Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:08 pm
t-star offline

I have been trying to find the source of this error for a long time.

bookmark alias file path could not be resolved for file: music script.scpt

I have searched the DB for "music", "script", and "scpt" and don't find anything that looks like a reference to this script. The search for "script" brings back a ton of instances because it is used in the file itself and looking through almost 2000 lines is a little daunting. The search for scpt come back empty.

Just looking for some suggestions. I vaguely remember why it was there. but can't find what called it. Not a huge deal but would like to get rid of it at some point.

Thanks.

Posted on
Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:42 am
DaveL17 offline

This may be a long-shot, but take a look at the 'Scripts' folder at the root of the 'Perceptive Automation' folder tree. Is there an alias file in that folder?

My understanding of the error is that Indigo is trying to load an alias to a file and the file the alias points to is missing.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:31 pm
howartp offline

I’ve got a plugin half written to help with this but the script bit isn’t pluginified yet.

Doesn’t help you just yet but watch this space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Page 1 of 1