2413U upgraded firmware, now spitting out errors

Posted on
Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:38 am
pantalones offline

2413U upgraded firmware, now spitting out errors

I can't remember the exact text, but recently when I launched indigo it said it had to do something to my 2413U regarding syncing links due to a new version of indigo.

Now it is spitting out a constant stream of

Code: Select all

PowerLinc                       Unexpected command 02 69 (flushing)
   PowerLinc                       Unexpected command 02 60 (flushing)

It was not doing this before indigo forced some update on it. I tried the set button for 10 seconds reset and it is still doing it. Please advise.
Last edited by pantalones on Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:38 am
pantalones offline

Re: 2413U upgraded firmware, now spitting out errors

Yes, whatever indigo did to my 2413U has broken it.

Code: Select all
  Trigger                         Keypad: Main: Shut it all Down
   Action Group                    Shut it all down!
   Error                           unknown command bytes received 1C A9 (ignoring)
   Error                           "Overhead Lights (Switch outside bedroom)" off; send failed (no acknowledgment)
   PowerLinc                       Unexpected command 02 62 (flushing)
   Power Failure                   possible power failure
   Error                           "Pit Back Lights" off; send failed (no acknowledgment)
   Interface Failure               failed to establish connection with serial interface PowerLinc 2413U on port usbserial-A6028O13
   Connected to PowerLinc 2413U interface on port usbserial-A6028O13
   PowerLinc address 23.9B.04, firmware version 9.11
   Sent INSTEON                    "Pit Fireplace Lights" off
   Sent INSTEON                    "Front Lights" off
   Sent INSTEON                    "Overhead Lights (Switch in Entryway)" off
   Sent INSTEON                    "Lights: Studio: Keypad" off
   Error                           "Bathroom Fan" off; send failed (no acknowledgment)
   Interface Failure               failed to establish connection with serial interface PowerLinc 2413U on port usbserial-A6028O13
   Interface Failure               lost connection with interface
   Sent INSTEON                    "Lights: Master Bath Overhead" off
   Sent INSTEON                    "Lights: Powder Room" off
   Schedule                        Main Keypad: Button 2: All Lights Off (delayed action)
   Schedule                        Keypad: Main: Shut it all Down (delayed action)
   Action Group                    Lights: Milo's Room: Night-Light
   Schedule                        Keypad: Main: Shut it all Down (delayed action)

Posted on
Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:49 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Did you recently upgrade your macOS version?

Those errors are low-level communication problems. They aren't caused by Indigo. Other possibilities besides a macOS upgrade causing this are: the PowerLinc is failing, the USB cable is bad, there is a conflict with another USB device, or there is excessive noise on the power line (or RF) that is confusing the PowerLinc and causing it to not communicate with Indigo. It could also be a failing Insteon module sending a continuous stream of commands (or garbage).

Some things to try: swapping the USB cable, other USB ports (including any in USB hubs), plugging the PowerLinc into different outlets (on different circuits using an extension cord). You can also try it on a different Mac with a trial version of Indigo.

Posted on
Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:40 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

pantalones wrote:
It was not doing this before indigo forced some update on it.

Indigo NEVER forces an update. In fact, it doesn't even have the ability to perform a self-update - you must download the installer yourself and run it. Updates are always at the sole discretion of the user (that's an intentional design pattern).

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:22 pm
pantalones offline

Thanks Jay. I tried to take a screenshot of the dialog but it only captured the outline of it.

It was an indigo native dialog that said something about my having upgraded to a new version and needing to re-sync all links. It was a wide horizontal thing. I'm obviously unable to reproduce it since it already progressed. Since my 2413U failed I plugged in my 2448A7 and got the same dialog in Indigo. This unit did not fail though.

To clarify Indigo did not force a self-update, but indigo did indeed force a re-syncing of all links ("Linking - batch syncing all links for" then device name) and that is when the 2413U started failing.

I know the 2413U is a terribly-made unit with cheap components. I think every one of us knows that :) I've even replaced the capacitors in mine. But my point is that it was not having this error at all until that re-sync dialog appeared. I have my 2413U behind a UPS with power conditioner so it wasn't as if a spike or other issue caused it. It went hand in hand with this batch re-syncing.

I wish I could tell you what the dialog is. Does it sound familiar? I already ordered a new 2413U, so I'm not trying to get a free one out of you or anything like that.

Posted on
Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:03 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

The Insteon resync dialog is not a "forced update". Rather, it indicates that what Indigo knows about all of the Insteon links is out of sync with what the PowerLinc is reporting to it. It recommends a resync to fix the disparities, but you don't have to click on the Sync button (there is a Cancel button on that dialog) thus there was no forced update. Again, I don't know of any situation off the top of my head where Indigo forces any kind of upgrade to happen outside of an intentional version upgrade.

The fact that the dialog popped up in the first place is likely an indication that something is/was going wrong with the PowerLinc if you hadn't done anything else in your environment. The fact that the USB adaptor is working seems to support this theory. Further, the errors in your event log also support the fact that the PowerLinc is likely failing. So, the resync dialog popping up was a symptom of the problem (failing PowerLinc) rather than the other way around.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:48 pm
pantalones offline

Like I said, the USB Stick triggered this dialog too and there is nothing wrong with that unit. And I'm telling you, the powerlinc was not reporting a single error before this batch resync.

Anyway forget it, I am sure you could dig up the exact dialog and solve this conversation but instead we're arguing about the semantics of Indigo telling me I had to do something.

Posted on
Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:24 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

pantalones wrote:
Like I said, the USB Stick triggered this dialog too and there is nothing wrong with that unit.

Right - because when Indigo first connected to the stick, it reported a different set of links than your PowerLinc had. This is how replacing an interface works so that you don't have to go and manually recreate all the necessary links.

pantalones wrote:
And I'm telling you, the powerlinc was not reporting a single error before this batch resync.

That may very well be the case - but Indigo recognized that the links that the PowerLinc was reporting weren't correct. So while it may not have been reporting errors (yet), it was starting to fail.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:29 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

We have had zero reports ever of Indigo breaking or locking up a PowerLinc. The errors you are seeing means either: the PowerLinc is malfunctioning, there is significant power line / RF noise causing the PowerLinc to lockup, or you are hitting the macOS USB problem (only occurs if you had a major macOS upgrade), or you have a bad USB cable. Those errors coming from the PowerLinc are not because of something Indigo did to the PowerLinc. The batch syncing process of links is just Indigo having the PowerLinc send Insteon commands to remote modules. It is not Indigo updating the firmware or anything low-level in the PowerLinc itself.

Posted on
Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:08 pm
pantalones offline

Thanks guys! Guess we'll have to chalk this up to unfortunate timing.

Page 1 of 1