Configure New Mac. CPU vs RAM

Posted on
Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:46 pm
t-star offline

Configure New Mac. CPU vs RAM

Not sure how Indigo is designed or it if matters. I am sure that I may get lots of opinions here but I am trying to configure a new Mac mini. Assuming a fixed budget. Would I get more impact with Indigo by going with a faster processor or more RAM (understanding that the current base config is 8GB)? Is there a max of RAM that you would purchase (i.e. anything over 16 GB you won't notice)?
I use the following plugins:
    Homebridge
    Ecobee 2 (this will be new as I can't use it yet due to the OS I am currently running)
    Airfoil Pro
    Z-Wave lock manager
    iTunes
    MyQ
    NOAA. Weather Plus
The only other thing that I really run is iTunes.

Thanks!

Posted on
Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:13 pm
Dual offline

Re: Configure New Mac. CPU vs RAM

Following.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:19 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

More RAM is (IMO) almost always the right answer for an Indigo Server Mac. Unless you're running something else that's computationally intensive, it's generally the more RAM the better. Of course, now that the new mini has user-replaceable memory, it's less of a concern to get it right to start with. (this latter might lead you to just order the stock 8GB then buy cheaper memory and replace it yourself).

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:21 pm
Dual offline

Thanks Jay. The new Mac mini with 8 GB RAM. Enough? Or jump to 16 GB? It would be installed as a headless Server with nothing else running on it. I a m hoping to install it standing on it’s face so the USB ports face up to position the Z-Wave stick properly.

Cheers

John

Posted on
Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:24 pm
Dual offline

Thanks Ian. Good to know. I had seen in the documentation that a USB extension cable is not recommended.

Posted on
Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:25 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

IMO, 8GB is too little, though for what you're running it might be fine. I edited my post above - since you can upgrade the memory yourself, you might just buy the minimum then replace later if you find that it's doing lots of swapping to disk.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:26 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Dual wrote:
Thanks Ian. Good to know. I had seen in the documentation that a USB extension cable is not recommended.

We've seen mixed results with USB extension cables. I have a handful that just won't work with my Z-Stick Series 2 nor the PowerLinc. There are others though that do seem to work OK. So, YMMV.

I've also found a couple of Dynex USB hubs that work fine with the Z-Wave interfaces, and they have a couple of slots that allow vertical positioning of the stick.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:29 pm
Dual offline

I am fine standing the Mac mini on it’s face. It will be placed high up in a cupboard out of sight. Hopefully it cools itself sufficiently. I may put a temperature sensor in the cupboard to monitor it so it doesn’t overheat in the enclosed space.

Posted on
Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:36 pm
Dual offline

Thanks for that screenshot Ian. It would be great to see the same posted by others. My test install is on my MBP running numerous programs at once do not a good comparison.

Posted on
Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:02 am
CraigM offline

Dual wrote:
I am fine standing the Mac mini on it’s face. It will be placed high up in a cupboard out of sight. Hopefully it cools itself sufficiently. I may put a temperature sensor in the cupboard to monitor it so it doesn’t overheat in the enclosed space.

On the previous mini's the air INTAKE is on the bottom front, so unless the 2018's airflow path is designed different that would be a very bad way to orient the mini. Especially in an enclosed cupboard.

Posted on
Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:41 am
Dual offline

CraigM wrote:
On the previous mini's the air INTAKE is on the bottom front, so unless the 2018's airflow path is designed different that would be a very bad way to orient the mini. Especially in an enclosed cupboard.

Thanks for the info. I plan to vent the cupboard. I will look at the Mac Mini cooling closer.

Posted on
Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:32 pm
gillekes offline

I bought the new Mac mini and opted to upgrade the processor to an i7 as the memory can be upgraded later as mentioned in other posts. I have 8GB and use the mini for Indigo and playing movies on my 4ktv. Playback of 4k movies work but only when coming from the internal SSD. I have an external SSD in a USB-c case but that is not fast enough. I also bought the Luna display adapter and use my 12.9” iPad pro as second screen for the mini for programming Indigo. That works really really well. There is no notable lag! Unbelievable! And makes a touch screen mac when I’m at home!
With all this I have not noted short of memory, so I’lll keep it with 8GB for now.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

Posted on
Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:53 pm
durosity offline

I’ve also got the new 2018 Mac mini and opted to upgrade the processor to the 6 core i7 and also the 512GB SSD option but stuck with the base 8GB of ram and I’ve had no issues, and that’s running indigo, SecuritySpy with 12 HD cameras, A 18TB Plex library with usually 2-3 concurrent users, and a Windows 7 VM for some other bits and bobs. I will get an upgrade at some point.. but it’s perfectly fine with just that as is.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:25 pm
siclark offline

This post is great timing... I am considering an upgrade from my 2014 i3 4GB unit that is struggling running Indigo and SS. I am wondering about getting another used 2014 model, but a i5 or i7 with maybe 16GB memory, or spend over double, and get a 2018 new model of similar spec? Guessing by the number of people on here with old boxes running Indigo with no problems, then the used model should be ok, especially if a lot of RAM?

Posted on
Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:23 pm
Dual offline

siclark wrote:
This post is great timing... I am considering an upgrade from my 2014 i3 4GB unit that is struggling running Indigo and SS. I am wondering about getting another used 2014 model, but a i5 or i7 with maybe 16GB memory, or spend over double, and get a 2018 new model of similar spec? Guessing by the number of people on here with old boxes running Indigo with no problems, then the used model should be ok, especially if a lot of RAM?

I have not yet unboxed my 2018 new (refurbished) Mac Mini with 8 GB RAM. I plan to use it for Indigo and SS as well. I will post once I am running it a few weeks. I am still in the development stage on my indigo database. Almost done. Doing the development work on my mid-2012 MacBook Pro. In the next day or two I will be downloading and playing with security spy. Once everything is set up to my satisfaction I will be transferring over to the Mac Mini for permanent server operation. As Jay mentioned I should be able to upgrade the RAM if I decide I need more. Time will tell.

Page 1 of 1