MacOS Sierra upgrade?

Posted on
Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:12 am
Seeker offline

MacOS Sierra upgrade?

My 2012 Mac Mini Indigo machine is still on 10.12.8 Sierra. I only use a USB z-stick for z-wave.

Is there one thread or post with information on whether or not it is safe to let MacOS upgrade?

I see https://forums.indigodomo.com/viewtopic.php?f=131&t=20083 about the FTDI serial bug. I don't think this would affect my USB z-stick.

https://forums.indigodomo.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19100 talks about power link and rxfcom in sierra.

is there any other consolidated information on the perils of upgrading the OS while using a single usb z-stick?

thanks

Posted on
Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:16 am
jltnol offline

Re: MacOS Sierra upgrade?

Hey there

I actually use both Z-Wave and Insteon. I've had almost zero issues upgrading the MacOS. The one thing you will most likely need to do is to tell the new OS where your Z-Stick is. And this is just a quick trip to the Config window in Indigo.

If you are still uncomfortable, you can alway clone your existing drive first, do the OS upgrade, and if you have problems, just go back to your previous OS.

But honestly, aside from the config issue, it should be very painless.. :) It was for me..

Posted on
Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:16 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

There are no other known issues (other than the potential of reselecting the serial port for your Z-Stick). The FTDI driver issues shouldn't effect you. There were some early issues we thought were High Sierra issues, but they weren't widespread so it's likely those were specific to one or two user's environments.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:32 am
rbdubz3 offline

Curious about this one as well Jay - I am still on Sierra due to the warnings and haven't followed up in a while (also behind on upgrading Indigo).

I am only using the Insteon Powerlinc modem as an adapter.. Which OS X version should I use?

I automate because I am lazy :D - My Plugins: https://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=309

Posted on
Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:28 pm
rbdubz3 offline

My usage:
- INSTEON PowerLinc Modem - and many built in Indigo / Insteon stuff - dimmers/thermostat/motion sensors
- Sonos Plugin
- Fingscan Plugin
- my own Sylvania Lightify plugin and random python code

Sounds like the High Sierra stuff is no longer an issue - maybe related to z-stick (which I don't have). I am looking forward to upgrading the Mac mini - just making sure I won't have upgrade issues

I automate because I am lazy :D - My Plugins: https://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=309

Posted on
Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:38 pm
Seeker offline

thanks for the replies. Shortly after this post, a week before Christmas, I tried to start the process of upgrading from Sierra to Mojave.

I have a 2012 Mini I5 with base RAM (4GB) and the stock 500GB spinning HDD. This Mac has sat in a closet running only indigo since 2012/2013.

My first attempt to upgrade to Mojave kept failing and would revert back to Sierra. This morning I did a command-R and let it reinstall Sierra. Then it successfully upgraded to Mojave. I re-selected the Z-stick and everything is back to normal. The Indigo part was seamless, and the Mac part was not bad except for the failed upgrades and command-R reinstall.

BUT THIS LITERALLY TOOK SEVEN HOURS TO COMPLETE. My MacBooks are a little newer, but the upgrades do not take near that long. And loading of apps, system preferences, even 'about this mac' takes a couple of minutes per operation. Full indigo server loading (from start to when my lights cycle on server start) takes several minutes.

Question: would I see a significant performance improvement by upgrading to 16GB RAM? I can get the RAM for about $80. What rough % would I see going from 4GB to 16GB?

I know an SSD would help, but I thought I'd explore the RAM first since it is simpler and cheaper.

Posted on
Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:49 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

More memory is never a bad idea. With only 4gb, you may very well be seeing some VM thrashing. I would expect that you'd see general performance improvement by upgrading.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:22 am
Seeker offline

quite a noticeable difference after the upgrade from 4GB to 16GB. but my beachballs seem to have disappeared. need to reinstall them.

Page 1 of 1