Transferring Licence to a New Computer

Posted on
Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:27 pm
Midnightsun offline

Transferring Licence to a New Computer

My really old Minimac just got upgraded to the latest and greatest Minimac. I will simply use the migration tool to move everything over. Not that there is much because the mini is pretty much dedicated to Indigo. Question is, how do I deactivate the license on the old to transfer to the new? I really cannot afford for this to not work as my house depends on Indigo or at least a good part of it does.

Posted on
Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:42 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Re: Transferring Licence to a New Computer

Under the Indigo menu item, there's a License Details selection. In that dialog box, you deactivate the license on the old computer.

Then you can activate it on the new computer.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:46 am
markf424 offline

My Mac mini recently died (logic board failure) and so I cannot get into the old server to deactivate the license. I've gotten everything restored on my backup 2010 Mini but unfortunately can't activate things. That's one downside to this methodology. I have contacted support, and hopefully we can get going soon. Once Indigo is down, you realize how much you rely on it!

Posted on
Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:39 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

We've deactivate it so it can be activated again – you should be all set now.

Posted on
Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:56 pm
markf424 offline

matt (support) wrote:
We've deactivate it so it can be activated again – you should be all set now.

Thanks.. leaving on a trip and I was worried this wouldn't happen until Monday. Very helpful.

Posted on
Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:21 pm
JGTracy offline

A bit more complicated. I have moved and left my computer with Indigo 6.xx there. I close in a couple of days and will bring the computer and license here. However, the home file belongs to the house I've sold.. Can I leave the license as a non upgradable so the new owner will have to buy a license (for the latest version)? If I transfer the license, they I will have to pay full price instead of upgrade.

Posted on
Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:06 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

JGTracy wrote:
A bit more complicated. I have moved and left my computer with Indigo 6.xx there. I close in a couple of days and will bring the computer and license here. However, the home file belongs to the house I've sold.. Can I leave the license as a non upgradable so the new owner will have to buy a license (for the latest version)? If I transfer the license, they I will have to pay full price instead of upgrade.

You don't have a license to leave unless you leave your current I7 license (and all it's upgrade predecessors). Your upgrade history shows you only have 1 available license (which you've upgraded since v1). Our license doesn't allow you to run Indigo 7 and Indigo 6 concurrently, since the Indigo 7 license was an upgrade from your Indigo 6 license.

So, leaving any license at the old home will require a purchase of a new license. I'd recommend you just tell the buyer that to use Indigo they'll need to purchase a new license (thus avoiding the hassle of transferring your entire purchase history to a new account).

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:24 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Was the home automation system included in the sale? Including all devices and interfaces? If so, you need to leave it all, including the computer and an Indigo license.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:08 pm
JGTracy offline

Thanks Jay. Not sure if she wants the system. Many people don't want to keep up with technical stuff. But If she does, then It looks like I need to send you her email address to have the license transferred. Do I have that right?

Posted on
Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:53 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

lanbrown wrote:
I think what Jay was getting at was that if she wants to use Indigo, then she will need a license. If the sale of the house included the HA system, then you would need to buy a new license for it. Your current license would just be put on a system at your new house. This would also allow your history to remain with you.

Exactly.

lanbrown wrote:
If you're not going to run Indigo at the new house, then you can leave the current license at the old home.

And we can change your Indigo Account information to her information.

lanbrown wrote:
You can also just buy a cheap USB drive and put the "home" file on it and give it to her at closing. She will have no system to run Indigo nor have a license. You can buy a cheap USB thumb-drive for under $5. That is if you don't have an old thumb-drive to use. The database file isn't that big.

This is what I'd recommend, particularly since it sounds like you haven't already committed to including Indigo with the sale.. Just give her the install directory (so that it includes scripts, etc) on a thumb drive and include a link to our website. Then she has what she needs from you to proceed.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:58 am
FlyingDiver offline

For what it's worth, that's what I plan to do when we eventually sell this house. I'll put the Indigo install info, my Lutron programming file, and other related stuff on a drive to leave with the house. Since I have PDFs of all the manuals for all the appliances in the house, I'll include those.

And for the cloud-based devices installed, like my Ecobee thermostats and MyQ door openers, I'll create a new free email address (<street address>@gmail.com for instance), move all those accounts to the new email, and leave the login info with the house as well.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:36 pm
JGTracy offline

Update on what initially was a license change issue. The MacMini and license is now with me in my new home. There is no requirement in NC real estate law that required me to leave the automation system, only installed devices that it uses. The devices still have some usefulness without Indigo.

While at my old house, I tried for a few hours to transfer the “home” file with its devices, schedules, triggers, etc onto a thumb drive, but was unable to. Basically, I couldn’t find it, couldn’t remember or guess what it was called or where it was located. The house didn’t have any ISP service so I was unable to query for help.

I met the buyer late afternoon when she came for the pre-closing walk-through and was able to talk to her about the house automation system. She said she might be interested and I committed to get the “home” file to her and what she would need to buy, including license to use it.

So… where can I find the “home” file?

Posted on
Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:16 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

If Indigo is running then from the main window hold down the CMD key while clicking on the window title (database name), which will drop down a menu showing the entire folder path. You can then select the first folder, which is the one in which resides, and that will open that folder in the Finder.

On server startup Indigo also logs the database file location, so if you have an Event Log file you can find it there.

Lastly, by default the database is stored in a folder path like this:

/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo XYZ/Databases/

but it can actually be anywhere.

Posted on
Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:35 pm
JGTracy offline

Thanks. That was easy. -- Now I remember it was in the library. Apparently a file search doesn't look in the library.

Posted on
Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:07 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

JGTracy wrote:
Apparently a file search doesn't look in the library.

Somewhat ironically, searching in the Finder ignores the Library folders.

Jay (Indigo Support)