To Mojave or not to Mojave

Posted on
Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:14 pm
Turribeach offline

To Mojave or not to Mojave

I have see Jay's usual warning about MacOS betas and have kept up to date with the USB issues on High Sierra. So far it seems the High Sierra USB bug doesn't happen on all computers and there are several possible workarounds, so shouldn't be a show stopper. So assuming we get new Macs soon (ie October) and that I buy one it will come with Mojave. What is the extend of the Indigo support for MacOS Mojave? Haven;t seen any Mojave specific issues and the OS is out today so can people please share their experiences? Thanks!

Posted on
Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:55 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: To Mojave or not to Mojave

All of the reports so far (including our internal testing) have shown the potential for the same USB FTDI driver problem (or maybe slightly worse) that High Sierra has, which can be hacked around by removing Apple's driver and installing the FTDI version. As this point I suspect a newer Mac will be fine, but I don't have enough data yet to state definitively. If any bugs comes up from our own testing (or others) we'll promptly fix them when/if possible. The FTDi issue has been cumbersome since it isn't our bug and Apple makes it difficult to work around.

Posted on
Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:43 am
Turribeach offline

OK thanks for the info Matt. If new MacMini's comes out in October I am jumping to it and I will report back.

Posted on
Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:29 am
marchioli offline

So I’m feeling adventurous today :P . I just upgraded my MacBook Pro 2016 with Touch Bar to Mojave. It took a long time but seems pretty stable so far (less than 24 hours but much better than Sierra). My USB devices seem to work which was acutely broken in sierra.

First, I’m going to try to do the install without doing any of the FTDI driver work-around. The system I have is a fresh install of El Capitan running Indigo 7 with an USB Z-Wave Z-Stick S2 from Aeon Labs and an Insteon 2412U adapter.. I’m going to use Superduper to make a complete copy of my install onto a remote SSD for quick restore in case of trouble since I use this system all the time for my home.

Second, if there are problems with either of the devices (2412U or Z-Stick S2) will try the work arounds and trouble shooting. I’ll report back on my progress.

Wish me luck (I know it isn’t luck but a roll of the dice for bug alignment). I’m also acutely aware of Matt and Jay’s guidance to stay away from new released and wait for a few point releases before upgrading. however, I’ve been doing just that all through Sierra and High Sierra. From what I’ve read, Apple tried to redo the code in Mojave to fix a lot of the broken stuff in Sierra/High Sierra and it seems took much longer to actually release it. Soooo, hopefully that has paid off with slightly better software quality.

More to come….. :roll:
Marc

Posted on
Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:48 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Good luck and we definitely appreciate you reporting the results!

Posted on
Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:36 pm
boisy offline

FYI, I upgraded to Mojave on my 2014 iMac 5K Retina AND moved Indigo 7 over to it from another iMac. All is well since the installation. I did have the FTDI driver from ftdichip.com installed prior, however.

Posted on
Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:28 pm
autolog offline

I have upgraded my production machine (27" iMac 2017) and all is well. :D

One bonus is that the fan is not running on the iMac anything like as as much as it was - it is now very quiet. However I have also upgraded to VMWare Fusion 11 Pro which runs my Blue Iris camera system. So not sure which one is responsible (or maybe both)?

Posted on
Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:32 pm
marchioli offline

Ok, Mojave all installed on my Mac Mini late 2014 (with an internal 1 TB SSD).
I did the following:

1) used SuperDuper to copy the current drive to a USB drive, made that drive bootable, rebooted from the USB drive.
2) Formatted the internal 1 TB SSD in the mini, Installed Mojave onto the internal 1 TB SSD (clean install).
3) rebooted with the Mojave install and used Migration assistant to move all my documents, applications, etc from the USB drive to the new install internal drive
4) rebooted and went into System Preferences -> Security to allow the Indigo and other background applications to ‘control’ the computer.
5) started Indigo and found the Z-wave not working but the 2413 was working
6) installed the FTDI patch, rebooted
7) Z-wave working now but 2413 red and stopped

Tried a few things and it turns out just had to unplug and plug the 2413 back in. It worked fine after that.

So bottom line - can install Mojave from scratch, install the FTDI driver post Mojave install and reconnected the USB devices on reboot.

So far working much faster than El Capitan. We’ll see how things go over the next few days/weeks.

Posted on
Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:46 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

marchioli wrote:
So bottom line - can install Mojave from scratch, install the FTDI driver post Mojave install and reconnected the USB devices on reboot.

Thanks for confirming that the bugs still exist in Mojave for some. Unfortunate, though I have to say not unexpected.

Interestingly, I have a 2012 Mac mini which doesn't seem to be effected by the bug. So it appears to be more sporadic than we originally thought. One difference though: I did a clean install and only installed Indigo. You did a clean install but used Migration Assistant to move stuff over. I'm curious, would you mind doing this in a terminal window and post the results?

Code: Select all
cd /Library/Extensions
ls -la
cd ~/Library/
ls -la Extensions

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:01 pm
Londonmark offline

Upgraded to Mojave today. All working as far as I can tell. Have an Aeotec g5 z-wave stick and an RFXCom.

HomeKit needed a restart but now fine.

Posted on
Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:52 pm
Welshdog offline

I'm going to try a standard upgrade using the downloaded Apple installer. This will be an install over plain old Sierra, not a clean install. I've got the time and want to see what happens. Fusion drive has been cloned and Time Machined. Mojave will convert fusion to APFS. This is on a late 2012 Mac Mini with a 2412U interface.

"Open the pod bay doors please Hal."

UPDATE:
Mojave upgrade went fine - zero issues. Indigo and the interface worked fine right away. Have restarted a few times for other installs and it has worked without error.

Just updated Indigo and that also went well. Love it when everything is nice and smooth.
Last edited by Welshdog on Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:17 am
jltnol offline

And not that it matter, but for anyone interested in upgrading to Mojave and running just the Indigo Client there, that works just fine.

Good to hear others have upgraded the server side to Mojave with good results.

AND 7.2 looks GREAT! Thanks guys.

8)

Posted on
Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:55 pm
jltnol offline

Hey folks

Just to echo what others have said here, I was able to get Indigo 7.2 and Mojave working.

Basically, I started with a working version 10.13.5, and Indigo 7.1. I installed Indigo 7.2, and everything seemed to be working. Next, I cloned that to a smaller partition on my drive, then upgraded to Mojave.

Assuming that the upgrade to Mojave would have deleted the FTDI driver, and installed Apple's driver, I re-installed the FTDI driver, booted into Recovery Mode and tried to move the Apple driver, only to discover that I couldn't move it to the "." directory, as there was already a file with that name there. No doubt there was simple Terminal command to delete the older Apple driver moved there under 10.13.x, but I ended up booting into my clone partition, and removed it via the GUI.

From there, booted back into Recovery Mode, moved the Apple Driver to the "." directory, and re-started.

Although Indigo 7.2 was running and the USB modem for Insteon was working, the Z-Wave stick was not. I tried unplugging and re-plugging, re-starting the computer, shutting down the computer and re-starting, all to no avail.

There is an extra USB port so I moved the Z-Wave stick to the empty port, and realized that I needed to "configure" it in Indigo. Once I did that everything seems to be working fine.

Bottom line, if you are upgrading to Mojave from a working version of 10.13.x, make sure you delete the copy of Apple's driver you moved in 10.13.x, before trying to move it again in Mojave. After all is done, just check the configurations for your modems, and you should be good to go.

JT

Posted on
Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:00 pm
cjp767 offline

Another successful upgrade to Mojave. Thanks for the Blog coaching through the driver workaround.

I didn't think I was successful until jltnol's reminder to Configure the USB Z-Stick back into Indigo after the driver workaround. (Maybe add that part into the Blog?) I wonder if I had to do the driver workaround if I had tried to reconfigure the Z-stick into Indigo first. No matter. It works.

Probably important in Mojave: I turned off Software Updates (Install mac OS updates) in Mojave's System Preferences. I'd like to do the OS updates on my own vs. having the system update itself then possibly not have a working USB Z-stick after an update.

Posted on
Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:31 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

cjp767 wrote:
Another successful upgrade to Mojave. Thanks for the Blog coaching through the driver workaround.

I didn't think I was successful until jltnol's reminder to Configure the USB Z-Stick back into Indigo after the driver workaround. (Maybe add that part into the Blog?) I wonder if I had to do the driver workaround if I had tried to reconfigure the Z-stick into Indigo first. No matter. It works.

Did you need to do the workaround? The bugs effect the FTDI driver, which the Insteon PLM and the RFXrec433 use, but the Z-Stick doesn't, so I'm somewhat surprised that you hit the bug.

I'm also surprised that the Z-Stick connection in Indigo was in any way effected, unless you have the new Gen5 stick and you moved it to a different USB port. The port name used for those devices depends on which USB port it's plugged in to.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn