Losing communications to the server

Posted on
Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:18 am
freshwuzhere offline

Losing communications to the server

I wanted to upgrade my home install - its my 3rd indigo house so not a total noob (just a partial noob).

Bought brand new Mac mini - installed indigo and placed a very basic database of a couple of switches. Now (after a few weeks away) indigo is very unstable often taking 30-60 seconds to respond to a click - beachball of death spinning. Sometimes it get the message "cannot communicate with the server......." server is running in activity monitor and using very little cpu. I have same problem if using demo database from indigo. I have done 2 clean instals - problem unchanged. Stop server command and any server interaction does apparently nothing.

Anyone got any suggestions on what is causing this? Mac mini appears to be working OK.

Posted on
Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:25 am
Different Computers offline

Re: Losing communications to the server

This sounds like a network throughput problem. I often get this when trying to use the client to connect to my home from outside the LAN. I put that down to having terrible CenturyLink DSL, with only 0.8Mbps upload speed. That upload speed from the server on my LAN is the constraint when trying to communicate with it from the Internet.

What sort of connection speed do you have, and does the problem ever occur when you're on the LAN?

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:23 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Yeah, spinning beachball means the OS is having some kind of resource contention (most often it's network related but not always). If you have any plugins enabled (built-in or otherwise) disable them and see if that makes any difference.

What other things do you have running besides Indigo?

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:29 pm
freshwuzhere offline

iTunes is the only app running apart from indigo. Weirdly it seems to occur when the internet connection is weak or non-existent (feature of living in the country).

Since the internet connection resumed normal service problem disappears. Just re-iterating - I am accessing on my LAN - even using indigo client on the machine running the server.

Very strange - but maybe something (plugin or other program) is jamming up the server/LAN when it can't connect to the internet?

Anyway working fine at present.

Page 1 of 1