Huge Issues with AppleScript being dropped

Posted on
Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:59 am
the41stside offline

Huge Issues with AppleScript being dropped

Ok, so I understand we’re losing AppleScript, generally I understand why. Still don’t like it, but I do understand. That being said, we lose AppleScript I think that has to end my time with indigo.

See the problem I have is that everything important in my automation system runs on AppleScript. Everytime I change the channel on anyone of my 7 TV’s. Every time I tell my echo dot to turn on/off a speaker system. Tons of logic for security. The list goes on forever.

Further, I have a 1 year old and a 6 year old. I get very little time for my hobby these days. If I’m going to spend the time to re code everything in python I’m done. I’d rather spend the time moving to IFTTT and other GUI based user friendly logic methods. And hey, that’s my call I guess. Not trying to get to angry about this, I’m just a bit frustrated. Spent the last three years teaching myself AppleScript. I will not teach myself python. I have introductory programming skills in Microsoft VB and flash actionscript. There’s no way I’m going to learn python, and frankly, I don’t want to.

As I write this I feel I’m answering my own problems. But maybe with help from the indigo community I could get a little reassurance... is it time for me to move on? I’d really appreciate the brutal honest answer if that’s what you feel I need to hear.

Cheers everyone!

Posted on
Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:33 am
roussell offline

Re: Huge Issues with AppleScript being dropped

I understand your frustrations, I have a few large applescripts remaining that I don’t have the time to redo in Python. Remember though, you can stay on the last version of Indigo that does support AppleScript forever. There’s no need to update to the newest version(s) unless there are features or bug fixes you have to have for your setup.

If everything is working as you require, why change it? That bit of procrastination buys you months (or years) to decide what the replacement will be, if any...

Terry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:41 am
the41stside offline

Terry, Great response! Thanks too.

I feel like that suggestion to stay on the current version is likely to be my choice for some time to come. But I love new gadgets and devices as they roll out compatiblity I don’t want to miss out. I’m always grabbing the next 3rd party plugin too, for whatever reason. So kinda stuck here.

I didn’t mention before that I did see the warnings, just wasn’t willing to do anything about it. 2 acre property in the great white north, constant work, 2 young kids, and truthfully no real programming skills or knowledge. So not likely to put the time I need to into restructuring. I’m very jealous of everyone who knows python, just not jealous enough to teach myself lol.

Thanks again Terry.

Posted on
Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:22 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Also remember that AppleScripts that target the Indigo Server are what's going away - you can still run AppleScripts from Indigo that target other things. Likewise, we've presented several options for integrating AppleScript with Indigo in terms of replacing how AppleScript talks to Indigo. So, your scripts may not have to be completely rewritten, but rather they may only need a bit of reworking. Definitely take advantage of the Help Converting from AppleScript forum - paste in a script and see what others think about what's needed to continue the functionality - it may not take much change.

There may also be other non-scripting solutions to what you've built - using plugins, etc.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:53 pm
noel1983 offline

the41stside wrote:
Terry, Great response! Thanks too.

I feel like that suggestion to stay on the current version is likely to be my choice for some time to come. But I love new gadgets and devices as they roll out compatiblity I don’t want to miss out. I’m always grabbing the next 3rd party plugin too, for whatever reason. So kinda stuck here.

I didn’t mention before that I did see the warnings, just wasn’t willing to do anything about it. 2 acre property in the great white north, constant work, 2 young kids, and truthfully no real programming skills or knowledge. So not likely to put the time I need to into restructuring. I’m very jealous of everyone who knows python, just not jealous enough to teach myself lol.

Thanks again Terry.

Not sure how feasible this is but if there's a relatively easy 'translation' from apple script to python is it something you could simply pay someone a few quid to do? From say upwork or fiverr.com? Depends how much information of your setup they need or whether they'd have enough to go on from the apple scripts.

Obviously be careful if there's anything sensitive in there. Just a thought that might solve all problems for potentially a very low cost.

Posted on
Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:32 pm
Different Computers offline

the41stside wrote:
I’d rather spend the time moving to IFTTT and other GUI based user friendly logic methods.

As someone who came from a system that was, theoretically, highly dependent on IFTTT, I can only say these three things:

1. IFTTT is not GUI based at all in any meaningful sense.

2. IFTTT is impossible to troubleshoot, and offers no support at all. Unless you pay, and probably even then. They LOOK like they offer support, but in reality, they're no help at all.

3. DON'T DO IT! Seriously, its slow, unreliable, and unfixable.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:12 am
neilk offline

When I moved from Vera the advice was already to avoid AppleScript and with a few small exceptions I could achieve everything and more that I did before without scripting due to the rich base and plugin functionality. This combined with the responsiveness and dedication of the people on here I cannot imagine any other solution that would give you less pain than a managed migration. For the things that do need scripting you are pretty much guaranteed someone will do the heavy lifting for you, or it has already been done.

The grass may look greener but given the time pressures you face my view is better the devil you know.

Posted on
Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:18 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

I would be willing to do a remote session with you to look at what you are using AppleScript for and help you get on a path to migration or, as Jay mentioned, into the AppleScript Python library. I believe the best advice, something I also would have recommended, is just stick with 7.1 for a spell until are able to weed out all AppleScript from your home automation. There's nothing to worry about really, I doubt 7.2 is going to be launched tomorrow and so you'll miss a new feature or two for a few weeks, no biggie.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:03 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I'll reiterate this warning however: if the next macOS version requires all apps to be 64-bit (which Apple has indicated will be the case), then you won't be able to upgrade the OS without upgrading Indigo (the 7.1 server binary is 32-bit, 7.2 will be 64-bit and transition is one of the reasons why AppleScript to the server is going away).

This is something people often forget about but in this case it's particularly important not to forget...

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:49 am
johnpolasek offline

jay (support) wrote:
I'll reiterate this warning however: if the next macOS version requires all apps to be 64-bit (which Apple has indicated will be the case), then you won't be able to upgrade the OS without upgrading Indigo (the 7.1 server binary is 32-bit, 7.2 will be 64-bit and transition is one of the reasons why AppleScript to the server is going away).

This is something people often forget about but in this case it's particularly important not to forget...

Of course if you're running Indigo on a 10 year old IMac like my mom still is, the "Next macOS" issue doesn't apply... since that Mac won't install anything beyond El Capitan...

Page 1 of 1