Moving from one Z Stick to another

Posted on
Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:13 am
CGD offline

Moving from one Z Stick to another

How easy is it to move from one Z Stick to another?

I'm sure I haven't search correctly, but is there a guide. I'm hoping it's painless as some of my devices are in hard to get to places. :-)

Thank you for any guidance,
Christopher

Posted on
Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:47 am
DaveL17 offline

Re: Moving from one Z Stick to another

The answer to your question depends on the controllers you're working with.

Gen 2 --> Gen 5: you're going to have to manually exclude your devices and then include them in the new controller. (sorry)

Gen 5 --> Gen 5: you can use a Windows utility to back up your current setup and then copy it to the new stick.

There is no known facility to back up Gen 2 controllers that I know of. Unfortunately, Aeotec won't give Indigo Domotics access to their secret sauce, so there's nothing that Indigo can do to make the process less painful.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:00 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

I went through this pain myself a year or so ago, I'm sorry for your loss because, for me, repositioning my many Fibraro motion sensors to be precise again was a tedious process that took a week or two of tweaking until I got them back where I wanted them :(.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:49 pm
jalves offline

I just did this last month. It was tedious but not horrible. For the devices that are portable (plug-in or battery powered devices) I found it easiest to simply bring the device to the computer and use Indigo to start exclusion then press the button on the device which completed the exclusion. Then I started the inclusion process in Indigo and pressed the button on the device to complete the inclusion. After doing that I did a sync on the device and placed it back in the original location. Repeat with other portable devices.

For the non-portable devices (locks, shades, wall switches, etc) I realized I could make it a bit easier on myself by using my laptop to run Indigo client (Indigo server is on a different Mac) and initiate the exclusion & Inclusion process while at the device location to push the needed button. That worked out well. Locks were a pain in the neck as they needed to be partially disassembled (just the cover) to get to the action button.

Once all that was done I started an optimize z-wave network from Indigo. Just to be sure, I ran it a couple of times.

With 25 devices this took me probably a couple of hours, including coffee breaks.

Running Indigo 2023.2 on a 24" iMac M1), OS X 14.4
Jeff

Posted on
Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:56 am
Sharek326 offline

I am about to embark on this myself in the next few days and have some questions.

Is this the process?

With the Gen2 plugged in exclude a device. Unplug the Gen2 and plug in Gen5 and include that same device. Rinse and repeat one device at a time.

Posted on
Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:00 am
jalves offline

No need to use the original Gen 2 z-stick for the exclude process. the Gen 5 will do the job as well.

Jeff

Posted on
Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:02 am
Sharek326 offline

So All I need to do is plug in the Gen5 put Indigo in exclusion remove 1 device. The put it into Inclusion add the same device back? All with the Gen5 ?

As I exclude these devices if they are part of a trigger , action group or schedule wouldn't it remove them from each?

Posted on
Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:44 am
jalves offline

Right, just do the exclude/include with the Gen 5 stick.

Once you have the device included in the new stick open the device in Indigo and resync. All your schedules/triggers/etc should then work as original.

Jeff

Posted on
Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:49 am
DaveL17 offline

Do not delete any devices in Indigo.

As you include your new devices, you'll need to associate their Node IDs to your system. It's probably best to do only a couple at a time so you know what goes where. When I went from Gen 2 to Get 5, I did it three devices at a time. Once you point your Indigo devices to their new Node IDs, everything should work as it did before.

FYI - you can exclude any Z-Wave device with any Z-Wave controller. This is in case your controller fails. Otherwise, you'd have to get all new devices! :D

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Page 1 of 1