Did Indigo make a change to how sleep is handled with V7?

Posted on
Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:24 pm
pgershon offline

Did Indigo make a change to how sleep is handled with V7?

I am not sure exactly when this started, but my Indigo suddenly started going to sleep when the computer is not used for periods of time. The issue comes up when I try to access with Indigo Touch on iPhone and all devices are reddened out and have no access because the PowerLinc 2413U is offline. This problem is fixed by connecting to the computer running server, either at the computer itself or with Screen Sharing. But it has happened multiple times now, after no problems for many years. I am running with Start and Connect to Indigo Server on this Computer. See screenshot attached.

Any ideas of what may be happening or how to fix?

Screen Shot 2017-11-08 at 7.22.19 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-11-08 at 7.22.19 PM.png (498.95 KiB) Viewed 3771 times

Screen Shot 2017-11-08 at 7.23.01 PM.png
Energy Saver
Screen Shot 2017-11-08 at 7.23.01 PM.png (384.07 KiB) Viewed 3771 times

Posted on
Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:09 pm
DaveL17 offline

Re: Did Indigo make a change to how sleep is handled with V7

Have you recently updated the operating system on the mac running Indigo? Apple seems to reset those settings every time.

I set my server to never sleep. And I have to redo it with each major update.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:35 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

This is becoming a more frequent issue with macOS - despite the settings, the Mac will still often notify applications that it's going to sleep. You can try resetting the PRAM and then setting it not to sleep again.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:45 am
pgershon offline

Thanks. I will try PRAM reset as the setting are correct yet Mac keeps sleeping. In case I fail, is there a way to wake the Mac from Indigo Touch? Right now the only way I can wake the Mac and get Indigo working is with a laptop or other PC to VNC - would be easiest if done from Indigo Touch, or even some other iPhone app (I can try VNC for iPhone I suppose, but type is so small).

Posted on
Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:37 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Tue May 08, 2018 4:12 pm
agame offline

I've somehow also lost control of the sleep issue on one of my two Indigo setups. I can stop sleep on my Mac mini, but no longer on the MacBook Air [that frustratingly is remotely located so I only have a chance to fix this once every couple of weeks - also makes it hard to diagnose and correct]. Obviously the MacBook has added complexity of battery state and lid-closure events to suppress.

I've tried one of the prevent-sleep apps, as well as the command line approach, but something must be screwing this up.

Given sleep management is such a fundamental issue for Indigo's successful operation, I wonder how easy it would be to incorporate managing (and therefore correcting) from a plugin (or at least a script that periodically runs?).

Adding to my woes, Back to my Mac has become completely unreliable over the internet.... aaagh.

Anyone else suffering this issue?

Posted on
Tue May 08, 2018 4:53 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I don't think there's much more that we can do beyond disabling app nap which we did back in I6 (and it remains for I7). Apple seems very determined to put Macs to sleep, regardless of what users actually want. It's particularly bad on MacBooks, though I admit mine doesn't have an issue staying awake.

BTW, have you tried zapping the PRAM?

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Tue May 08, 2018 5:58 pm
agame offline

no I haven't tried resetting PRAM yet, will definitely try that next visit.

still curious if anyone uses a script to automatically check the mac's sleep management parameters on indigo startup (or more frequently), and notify or correct if necessary.

Posted on
Wed May 09, 2018 12:41 am
racarter offline

I started having this issue when I bought a newer Mac Mini last year. I installed Amphetamine (follow Jay's link) and that solved the problem completely.

Posted on
Wed May 09, 2018 3:42 am
agame offline

thanks, I'll try amphetamine next round too!

Posted on
Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:57 am
agame offline

Just for the benefit of anyone else attempting to use Indigo on a MacBook, it isn't possible to suppress sleep unless you meet Apple's strict requirements for 'clamshell mode'. Apologies if this is discussed elsewhere (I can't find on this forum). That means, you must have attached a screen, keyboard, and mouse. 'Blank plug' screen emulators are available that may bypass the need for a screen, and wireless keyboard/mouse are technically ok (if they stay charged!).

In spite of this I personally still found clamshell mode prone to break in my setup and hence not suitable for Indigo running at a remote location. In exasperation I've upgraded to a Mac Mini. Its annoying (a) because older MacBooks are super cheap and otherwise perfect for Indigo (b) have built in UPS; and (c) they are easy to mount (when closed!) in an enclosure/cupboard...but having the screen etc integrated is super handy compared with having to connect a screen to a Mini at an awkward location.

The references to anti-sleep apps such as Amphetamine appear to be a red herring (for MacBooks with the lid closed). Amphetamine's website (corroborated on the Apple support site) provides detailed explanations of clamshell mode and how it can't be subverted by an approved app. https://amphetamine.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/43000068869-amphetamine-does-not-keep-my-mac-awake

Amphetamine does call out a non-approved kernel extension as a potentially viable workaround, but presumably that carries significant risks - any tried this approach?

Posted on
Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:15 pm
agame offline

Would be nice... though I'd have though there would need to be an effective configuration/profile to enforce...(??) Disabling sleep is still an available setting in a MacBook's config, however the setting has no effect once the lid is closed.

Posted on
Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:25 am
pgershon offline

Reactivating this old thread. My iMac suddenly started going to sleep and then waking up within the same min (once) or after 5 mins (once). Behavior started with Indigo 2022.2 upgrade. Nothing else changed except internet upgrade from coax 1000/35 to fiber 1000/1000. Since intent change, I have had some issues connection to wifi devices (TP-Link and Shelly), but I think this is due to competing signals from my Asus router and Optimums Fiber gateway in the 2.4ghz band.

Posted on
Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:25 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Nothing in Indigo has changed, and Indigo has never modified macOS sleep settings. Mac's trying to go to sleep even though Energy Saver settings are set to never sleep has been a reoccurring problem with Macs for literally decades. I don't know if it is a hardware problem, or macOS corruption issue, but it isn't related to Indigo.

Posted on
Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:33 am
pgershon offline

What is different this time than my past experiences are (1) sleep occurs but then Mac gets a similar command to awaken - in the past when it went to sleep it stayed asleep until Iphysically came to machine to awaken it and (2) it happened 3 times in 6 days - used to be once a year or so.