7.1 High Sierra

Posted on
Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:01 pm
sarahcat offline

Re: 7.1 High Sierra

“After a couple of possible security exploits, I upgraded to High Sierra for my Mini running Indigo. The Gen5 Z-Wave interface initializes perfectly, but my Insteon Dual Band MODEM now requires the USB connection to be physically unplugged and ‘re-plugged’ when I restart the Mini, after the High Sierra MacOS install.
The behavior appears consistent and repeatable, so far. I’m using Jay and Matt’s favorite USB2 hub.

As long as restarts happen in my presence, it’s a minor inconvenience, but as a loyal contributing member of the user community, I wanted to report my experience and ask if anyone else has encountered something similar.”

Posted on
Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:22 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

With the majority of users seemingly having the same or similar USB issues, yours being one I’ve heard several times, you were brave to do that update :shock: . I’m keeping mine in El Capitan for the foreseeable future.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:32 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

sarahcat wrote:
“After a couple of possible security exploits, I upgraded to High Sierra for my Mini running Indigo.

Note that Apple has made the security updates back to El Capitan so you don't need to upgrade to High Sierra to get them.

sarahcat wrote:
As long as restarts happen in my presence, it’s a minor inconvenience, but as a loyal contributing member of the user community, I wanted to report my experience and ask if anyone else has encountered something similar.”

Thanks for the report, I'll add it to the High Sierra thread.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:58 pm
sarahcat offline

Note that Apple has made the security updates back to El Capitan so you don't need to upgrade to High Sierra to get them.

Thanks Jay. I wasn’t certain the patches were made, since I saw updates to iOS 11, but not to MacOS 10.12. I had some odd things going on and there was malware on my system and Apple Support recommended using Malware Bytes to identify and isolate/remove it. I had been experiencing really slow performance and memory leaks. After dealing with the malware and upgrading to High Sierra, my Mac seems to be much improved. The USB glitch is unfortunate, but when I move Indigo to a different Mac, it might go away...or get worse. Hopefully the former.

Posted on
Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:24 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

lanbrown wrote:
I didn't have any issues with 10.13.2 but just updated to 10.13.3 and still have no issues.

Upgrade at your own risk and have a restore option available to you.

What is your setup? We spend so much time talking about the broken systems as a result of High Sierra that I think we sometimes forget to find out what the setups are for those that are working. I really like keeping all of my various systems at the latest release of whatever, so I don't like running El Capitan for my server just because anything newer has major issues, but if that is what it takes to keep my system running then so be it.

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:39 am
jalves offline

Another data point: I just updated my Indigo machine to 10.13.3 and after the restart i had to do the unplug/replug routine for the Insteon and RFXCom devices. Once I did that everything worked just fine. FWIW, the Insteon interface is plugged directly into the Mini, while the RFX device is plugged into a USB hub.

Running Indigo 2023.2 on a 24" iMac M1), OS X 14.4
Jeff

Posted on
Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:47 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

jalves wrote:
Another data point: I just updated my Indigo machine to 10.13.3 and after the restart i had to do the unplug/replug routine for the Insteon and RFXCom devices. Once I did that everything worked just fine. FWIW, the Insteon interface is plugged directly into the Mini, while the RFX device is plugged into a USB hub.

So, to further clarify: before you upgraded, what OS version were you using and what configuration? Basically, what (if anything) changed?

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:44 am
jalves offline

I was on 10.13.2 before the upgrade. That's the only thing I changed - (the upgrade to .3). I've experienced the same issue at times using 10.13.1 & .2. Just to further muddy the waters, there have been some restarts than didn't require the unplug/replug exercise.

Jeff

Posted on
Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:56 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Ok, thanks - I'm just trying to make sure I'm communicating current status correctly.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:45 pm
the41stside offline

Hey guys, don't post much and I don't want to trail this thread in the wrong direction but I believe this is relevant and hopefully someone can tease me with hope. I have a house full of Insteon running off my 2413U and my 2010 macmini. All is fine. I've tested high sierra and my z stick was fine but my 2413U wasn't available :(

So... I have new computer being built, very excited. New coffee lake i7, can't wait, 3 days. So from that standpoint I will have to run High Sierra (compatibility), no biggie as I will still have my macmini running 10.12.6 as long as I need to. But I believe in sifting through all these posts about USB issues with the 2413U I saw mention that not everyone is experiencing these issues. So I'm just curious if that's true and if there is any particulars of if it or if it's totally random. I can't seem to find much.

Matt & Jay, all the contributors you guys rule, Indigo is the best. I don't post much. had to say it ;)

Posted on
Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:57 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

My suspicion is that it's "older" hardware. I don't know what exactly that means other than that we have newer MacBook Pros (less than 2 years old) that don't have the problem. I have an older (maybe 4 years old) MacBook which does have the issue.

I'm hoping we'll have some more news on other workarounds later today or tomorrow, stay tuned.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:54 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:07 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Nice job guys! While it may not be the perfect and easiest way to make it work you seem to have figured out the first big step! In the midst of all of us Python dabblers and plugin makers you remind us of who the pros really are. :wink:

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:00 pm
jalves offline

After reading the excellent work around for this bug www.indigodomo.com/blog/2018/01/25/high ... orkaround/ I decided to try a clean install of High Sierra. That's done by booting into Recovery Mode (hold down command R at startup) and then selecting the clean install option.

I figured that would get rid of any garbage old drivers and put me in a good clean state. Result, no change. My Insteon and RFX interfaces were still not automatically identified/connected by Indigo on restart. However, I then downloaded the latest FTDI driver (2.4.2), applied it to the computer and then did a restart. It works!!! Both devices connected on the restart without the need for the unplug/replug exercise.

Jeff

Posted on
Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:35 am
MartinG offline

I tried an update to High Sierra on my 2011 MacMini server over the last couple of days and also found an FTDI driver problem reared its head, but by connecting via an active USB extension cable (which appears as a USB 2.0 hub), the problem went away.

I also discovered that there's a similar driver issue with the Silicon Labs USB-UART interface in my Z-Stick S2, for which I couldn't find a workaround - the extension cable didn't solve this problem.

So, back to Sierra it was (taking advantage of a clean install, cherry picking things like the Indigo database from my backups), and all the problems went away again.