connecting to Vera Plus with Bridge plugin

Posted on
Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:39 am
xkrgeezer offline

connecting to Vera Plus with Bridge plugin

Hi, This is my first post. Please go easy on me as I'm a slow 'silver surfer' who's dipping his toe into home automation. I've just installed the Demo of Indigo 7 and trying to connect to Vera Plus + RFXtrx433E so I can eventually control my Somfy blinds.
On the Vera plus I've configured a 3in 1 sensor device for the test. On Indigo I've loaded the Vera Bridge Plugin and configured with the Vera IP address.
The problem I need help with is when I try to add the test device in Indigo. I select Vera Bridge but I don't see any devices. I clicked refresh list but I don't see any devices.
Have I missed something ? I'd appreciate some help please.

Posted on
Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:57 am
durosity offline

Re: connecting to Vera Plus with Bridge plugin

I can’t say why you’re not getting anything from the vera bridge plugin as I’ve not used it for a long time.. but do bear in mind that that plugin was primarily designed to allow for people who wanted to include Z-Wave locks into Indigo before Indigo natively supported them. Even if you do get the bridge working you’ll likely find quite a lot of lag between the two. You’d probably be better off investing in a Z-Stick and using that directly with Indigo - you’ll find it a lot more reliable and stable… which is much of the allure of indigo itself!

Computer says no.

Posted on
Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:15 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

The Vera Bridge plugin only supports a limited number of device types, sensors not being one of them. As durosity points out, there were 2 main purposes for that plugin: to provide lock support before we offered native lock support and to help switchers to transition from the Vera to Indigo. Sensors, by their very nature, usually require very fast/quick notification when things change. The Vera, through their API, wouldn't offer that kind of fast update. So sensor devices were left out as being better implemented directly in Indigo via a Z-Wave interface like the Z-Stick.

BTW, Indigo also supports the RFXtrx433E via a plugin that's built and maintained by RFXCOM.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:35 am
xkrgeezer offline

Thanks Durosity and Jay for your replies. Looks like I've misunderstood the Bridge connectivity. I've just ordered a Z-stick so looking forward to playing with that. Thanks again.

Posted on
Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:57 am
durosity offline

Glad to hear it. Hope you find Indigo as enjoyable to use as everyone else around here. There’s lots of Vera ‘refugees’ around so if you’ve got questions on the switch someone will almost certainly know the answer.

Computer says no.

Page 1 of 1