Indigo stopped recognizing 2413U Powerlinc

Posted on
Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:43 pm
Memaddog offline

Indigo stopped recognizing 2413U Powerlinc

About a week ago, all of the devices in the Indigo Touch app became red and said "- interface error -". Then I noticed that the nothing was working via Homekit either (using Homebridge) so I went to Indigo (6) and saw that it wasn't seeing the PowerLinc (2413U). The PowerLinc and Indigo had be working great for about 4 years. I noticed that there was no status like on the PowerLinc so after trying to reset it, plug it into different outlets, etc, I concluded that it may have just died.

This evening I connected a new 2413U and Indigo is saying the same thing - "INSTEON interface (PowerLinc 2414U/2412U/2412S/2413U/2413S) is not connected or online. Check your interface type and connection, then choose Enable from the Interface menu." On the Interface screen in Indigo, the correct type is selected and it doesn't seem to have any issue with the serial port selected (of which there is only one option). Yet, the Interface indication at the bottom left of the Indigo window is red with a line through it (PowerLinc Modem).

After some additional digging here online, I found what to look for to see if the 2413U was being seen by the computer and it is. I do see "FT232R USB UART" listed in the system report under USB.

When I launch Indigo, I get the message "Failed to establish connection or open serial port to interface. Make sure the correct interface type and port are chosen in the Preferences dialog and that the serial device or adapter are plugged in correctly."

So now what should I try?

Posted on
Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:15 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Indigo stopped recognizing 2413U Powerlinc

Is it possible you have a plugin that's configured to use that serial port? Or any other software installed that might be trying to open serial ports?

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:07 pm
Memaddog offline

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to this. To address your questions, I just did a clean install of macOS Sierra and then installed Indigo 6.1.11. The only other thing I've installed is the Chrome browser. Indigo starts up with the demo "Sample House" and I enabled the Insteon Interface from the menu. I selected the 2413U for the type and then the only serial port option shown which says "usbserial-A6028NV0". Indigo then checks and immediately show the red crossed out PowerLinc Modem text at the lower left of the main window. The event log says "Interface Failure - failed to establish connection with serial interface PowerLinc Modem on port usbserial-A6028NV0" and I get the same pop-up error from my original post. What do I try now? I hoped a brand new clean install would solve whatever may have gotten messed up.

Posted on
Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:28 am
Memaddog offline

Additional information:

I did a reset (holding reset for 10 sec, plugging in, continuing to hold for another 10 seconds, releasing, then plugging in USB). Same errors, etc.

I do have a green status light on the 2413U which I also had before the reset procedure.

Posted on
Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:22 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

It sounds like either the 2413U has malfunctioned (likely) or there is so much power line noise that the 2413U is failing to communicate with Indigo (less likely, but can happen). To rule out #2, plug the PowerLinc into different outlets on different circuits using an extension cord. If it still won't connect then I think it has failed and should be replaced. They have a 2 year warranty.

Posted on
Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:45 pm
sfcreatus offline

A slightly different question. Bought a new 2413U since the unit I bought 5 years was sluggish and returned a number of errors. On a 2013 Mac with Big Sur. Now most units seem to respond more quickly and reliably however Indigo does not recognize several modules after reset and sync.
1. Smartenit Irrigation controller #5010A which is apparently based on an IR-Linc Transmitter - v92 (i2 engine). When creating triggers or actions for sprinkler, the unit isn't recognized.
2. another IR-Linc transmitter v49 (i2) is recognized, defined and synced but is "not in module's database" even after defining and sync several times
They had worked with older 2413U unit yesterday. When reinstalling it today, the units continue with behavior noted above and do not operate. Any ideas other than to send Smarthome more money for new units?

Posted on
Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:01 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Did you try factory resetting both modules (I believe their manuals have the steps)?

The irrigation controller reporting it is an IR-Linc means it is in a bad state and not working correctly, but a reset might help.

Posted on
Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:43 pm
sfcreatus offline

That did the trick for the EZ Flora. Still working on the IR Linc...

Posted on
Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:32 pm
jltnol offline

I've had similar issues in the past... if all else fails. unplug the device and make sure you also unplug the USB connector. And wait. A day or two. Literally. I've had 2 that have rebounded after this really hard time out.

Posted on
Mon May 30, 2022 8:41 am
hamw offline

I have a dead 2413u PLM that I just stuck in a bag a few years ago. On the off chance I plugged it in and the light came up green. Does that mean it came back to life and I can use as a spare? Or does it need to be fixed in any case?

Posted on
Mon May 30, 2022 12:09 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

It depends on what you mean by "dead". The green LED means that the device is getting power correctly. But that doesn't necessarily mean that it's working. Try it and see is the best option.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon May 30, 2022 2:01 pm
hamw offline

I plugged it in and Indigo recognized it and requested a re-sync… Did not do so, but I suppose that if it is recognized it must now be working?

Might be good as a back up in case my current one dies and I need to install the new capacitors?

Posted on
Mon May 30, 2022 4:43 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

That can get into a bad state and "come back to life" if left unplugged for a while, so it might be good. No way to know for sure if it is marginal and will fail again without trying it for a while.

Page 1 of 1