steps to move indigo to a new mac

Posted on
Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:08 am
yassi offline

Re: steps to move indigo to a new mac

jay (support) wrote:
I'd start with a clean 10.11 if it were me - no Sierra. Then just move over your Indigo 6 folder and go from there.

Jay, ok, thanks, I will go this way!

Posted on
Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:43 pm
btassias offline

Jay

Im running Indigo 6 flawlessly on a mac mini with 10.7.5 i just purchased Indigo 7 and would like to load it on a newer mac mini that i have with 10.10.5 on it
what would be the best way going about this. Can i just load Indigo 7 fresh and move the indigo database over OR run the V6.1.11 installer then copy
over the database then do the Indigo 7 upgrade as Matt said both can coexist on the same machine, That way i have a working Indigo system in case i
run into issues which sometime happens to me on mayor version upgrades. Right now mine is running good but eventually ill have to make the move

Thanks

Posted on
Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:55 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Follow these directions for moving Indigo 6 over to the new Mac, then upgrade to Indigo 7. That'll be the safest method.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:06 am
jerryc offline

Followed these to the letter, but no Devices Listed

I upgraded to Indigo 7 a few days ago on my existing server. All was well....

Yesterday, I developed a new server and am trying to move Indigo over.

All seems to work well, except no devices are listed. My scripts, scenes, etc are all there as well as the Interface connection.

The "batch sync" went thru fine, no complaints.

However, no devices are apparently importing so I can't control anything. Am I stuck to re-making every device?

Old server: Mac Mini Server mid-2010
New Server: Mac Mini Server mid-2011

All running latest OS 10.12.1 Sierra

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Jerry
Attachments
2016-12-01 Events.txt
(23.61 KiB) Downloaded 173 times

Posted on
Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:15 am
jerryc offline

jerryc wrote:
I upgraded to Indigo 7 a few days ago on my existing server. All was well....

Yesterday, I developed a new server and am trying to move Indigo over.

All seems to work well, except no devices are listed. My scripts, scenes, etc are all there as well as the Interface connection.

The "batch sync" went thru fine, no complaints.

However, no devices are apparently importing so I can't control anything. Am I stuck to re-making every device?

Old server: Mac Mini Server mid-2010
New Server: Mac Mini Server mid-2011

All running latest OS 10.12.1 Sierra

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Jerry

MISSED THIS PART:

I just checked and I've not imported the Triggers and Schedules as mentioned above. My iPhone app is connected, sees all that it used to see (Devices (all listed in RED); Actions are all there AND in the "Devices" list, it is apparently seeing the status of each device (my lights are on from last night)

Posted on
Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:55 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

I'm not sure I understand what you are seeing, but if your Devices/Schedules/Triggers/etc. aren't showing up then you don't have the correct database file loading. All of that information is saved in Indigo's database file.

If Indigo Touch is still showing the information, then that is because it is still connecting to your previous Mac. Shutdown Indigo Server on that Mac to prevent Indigo Touch from connecting to it.

Posted on
Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:15 am
jerryc offline

YEP!! It was looking at the wrong Database. PHEW!!

Many thanks for the kick in the pants.

Jerry

Posted on
Wed May 24, 2017 12:51 pm
johnfdl offline

I made the same mistake as well. Apparently, when I saved my database on my SOURCE machine, it saved to Documents folder, so when I followed the steps, it obviously didn't back up this folder, rather just the sample db. After a brief moment of panic, I realized the oversight. So it may be stating the obvious, but you not only need to migrate over the /Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7 folder, but also the database file if it exists outside this folder.

Posted on
Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:32 pm
eightball offline

Update:
Found the instructions in the WIKI so disregard #2.

Any advice on macos? Any reason to update the mini from 10.10.5?

Thanks,

Hopping on this old thread, I'm planning on moving my database to a mac mini - two questions:

1. The mini is currently on 10.10 - I'm running Indigo 7. What's the most stable system for the mini to be running (el capitan?)?

2. Do the transfer steps in the OP still hold? I've got a fairly straightforward system with mostly insteon dimmers.

Thanks for any tips.

Best,

Anthony

Posted on
Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:40 am
petematheson offline

Hi All,

Quick question on this topic - I have 2 Mac Minis.
One at work, which is a better spec.
One at home, a lower spec.

If I did time machine backups of each.
And restored each one to effectively swap the macs over (Work mac moves to home, home to work).

Would this work?

They're about 2 years apart age wise, similar specs. One has double the ram and a Fusion disk, the other has 4Gb ram and a standard 1TB.

Posted on
Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:38 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I don't see why it wouldn't - but I've never personally done it. Note that you may have to rerun the Indigo installer - Migration Assistant (which Time Machine also uses) sometimes screws up permissions so rerunning the installer after you've done the restore should correct any issues.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:22 pm
petematheson offline

jay (support) wrote:
I don't see why it wouldn't - but I've never personally done it. Note that you may have to rerun the Indigo installer - Migration Assistant (which Time Machine also uses) sometimes screws up permissions so rerunning the installer after you've done the restore should correct any issues.

All working except I can't get back on to my Work Indigo to deactivate the license, since it's been wiped!
Are you able to reset the license keys please?

Posted on
Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:26 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

petematheson wrote:
Are you able to reset the license keys please?

Done.

Posted on
Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:06 am
johnpolasek offline

We are considering moving Indigo 7.1 from it's existing location on a server it's sharing with a number of other services (Plex and unifi video in particular can sometimes be resource hogs) to an independent standalone machine; most of the previous posts refer to moving Indigo 6 installations and some of them infer that Z-wave devices will need to be recynced. Is the "copy the \library\perceptive automation... directories, copy any other related directories (database, external scripts, plugin dependencies, etc), install 7.1 on the new machine, deactivate it on the old one, activate it on the new one" still all that needs to be done, or do we need to exclude all the Z-wave devices on the old machine before deactivating it and re include them on the new one after activating it? I only ask because if that's the case, we'd probably want to take the opportunity to replace the 2 year old Z-stick with a new gen5...

Posted on
Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:35 am
Different Computers offline

Due to a variety of stupid hardware choices on my part, I've moved Indigo 6 or 7 to and from something like four different machines. I've never had to re-sync or reinclude Z-wave devices.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.