[ANSWERED]UPS question

Posted on
Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:16 am
jalves offline

[ANSWERED]UPS question

This may not be the right place for this question, so apologies there.

I'm thinking of getting a UPS for my indigo server just to keep it from re-booting every time there is a momentary drop out of electrical power. Living in central FL, we get lots of mid-day thunder storms that have a propensity for momentary power disruptions, even in our brand-new underground development. When that happens, my Mac Mini (on which the Indigo server runs) goes off and automatically reboots when the power comes back on. Of course the re-boot cycle takes a few minutes.

I was thinking that a relatively small USP would be affordable way to avoid any issues as it would keep the Mini up during those brief interruptions. I guess my real question though is if I should also be plugging my Insteon interface into the UPS or would that likely affect reliability of power-line communications. I'm wondering is if the cheap UPS's are "dirty" generating too much power-line noise. I know the more expensive UPS's are "cleaner" but I'm looking for a cheap solution to a not very serious issue.

Thanks in advance.

Running Indigo 2023.2 on a 24" iMac M1), OS X 14.4
Jeff

Posted on
Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:35 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: UPS question

You definitely do not want to plug any INSTEON device into the UPS.

I have an APS that's filtered and I had another inexpensive one (Cyberpower) that, surprisingly, I didn't have to filter. The latter, unfortunately, only lasted a couple of years and died about a month ago. Haven't decided what to replace it with yet.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Page 1 of 1