What Mac Mini 2018 do I need?

Posted on
Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:21 am
gt3mike offline

What Mac Mini 2018 do I need?

I'm currently running Indigo on a 2009 iMac, and I don't expect it to last much longer. My primary Mac is a MacBook now, so I'm leaning toward replacing the iMac with a Mini instead of another iMac. I only use it for Indigo and as a host for an external drive I use for Time Machine backups (local and network). I also have an Aeotec Z-Stick Gen 5 connected.

I'm thinking I can get away with the minimum CPU configuration, which I'm guessing might help with heat, but I'll probably upgrade RAM to 16GB.

This should be sufficient for my needs, right?

Also, I have my iMac configured so that it logs back in and starts Indigo automatically on reboot. Am I going to run into problems doing this with the Mini? I read somewhere about a new security chip preventing this kind of configuration.

Thanks in advance!

Posted on
Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:43 am
FlyingDiver offline

Re: What Mac Mini 2018 do I need?

That should work fine. And I'm running Indigo on a similar model.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:31 am
gt3mike offline

Thanks! Any tricks getting it to start Indigo on reboot?

Posted on
Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:37 am
FlyingDiver offline

gt3mike wrote:

Just make sure it's set to auto-login the user. I don't remember that being particularly difficult.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:10 am
jalves offline

gt3mike wrote:

As Flyng Diver posted, just turn on auto log in. In addition, have Indigo set as one of the startup applications . You do that in the Mac's System Preferences app in the Users section.

Running Indigo 2023.2 on a 24" iMac M1), OS X 14.4
Jeff

Posted on
Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:20 am
FlyingDiver offline

jalves wrote:
In addition, have Indigo set as one of the startup applications . You do that in the Mac's System Preferences app in the Users section.

Actually, you do NOT want to do that. That starts the Indigo client. You only want to start the Indigo server on login, and you do that in the "Start Local Server" panel.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-09-06 at 8.18.54 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-09-06 at 8.18.54 AM.jpg (164.33 KiB) Viewed 2483 times

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:37 am
jalves offline

Thanks for the correction!

Running Indigo 2023.2 on a 24" iMac M1), OS X 14.4
Jeff

Posted on
Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:07 am
Different Computers offline

At the risk of introducing more confusion to your decision making process, I'll mention again the huge bargain that I found in a Late 2013 MacBook Pro with a cracked screen.

]Stupid cheap.

Built in UPS.

Plenty of horsepower for Indigo + iTunes server.

2.4 Ghz i5, 4 Gb RAM. iTunes library on an SD card in the built in slot.

The only compromise is on USB ports, but a quality hub fixed that and I haven't had any issues with both a Z stick and an Insteon interface connected.

I highly recommend checking Craigslist or similar sources for poorly treated orphan Mac laptops! You'll save big money.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:15 am
Turribeach offline

Also remember that you can save money by upgrading the MacMini RAM yourself. There is an iFixit guide and plenty of YouTube videos showing how to do it.

Posted on
Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:41 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Turribeach wrote:
Also remember that you can save money by upgrading the MacMini RAM yourself. There is an iFixit guide and plenty of YouTube videos showing how to do it.

Careful, if Apple detects that you've done it they will void your AppleCare. Also, all memory isn't created equal and the 2018 mini seems to be extra sensitive. If any of that concerns you, I'd recommend taking it to your locally-owned authorized Apple service center (not Apple itself) - they will use less expensive but compatible memory and it won't void your AppleCare. Finally, the procedure isn't necessarily for the faint of heart, though many of our users can probably pull it off with the right tools.

You will also feel good about supporting local businesses... ;)

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Page 1 of 1