DomoPad on Raspberry Pi 3B

Posted on
Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:35 pm
whmoorejr offline

DomoPad on Raspberry Pi 3B

I have a raspberry pi 3b that I've been playing with to see what ways/how I can incorporate it into indigo. For those that havn't tinkered with one yet, it's pretty easy and hard to mess up. I also like that with a small handful of SD cards, I can have one raspberry pi and each SD card is another experiment.

I did a build using raspberry pi light set in kiosk mode with airplay running in the background. It worked alright, but the chromium browser is constantly asking for an update (even though it's updated). But, when it works, it boots directly to a control page and has airplay running in the background for sending sounds or audio messages to it.

Today I tried a raspberry pi android build which I like. I found some instructions for it that worked like a charm and include the steps for installing the google play store.

https://pimylifeup.com/raspberry-pi-android-lineageos/

So far, so good. The raspberry pi boots directly into domopad and goes straight to a control page. Pushing speech to it works, changing control pages, etc. So, for around $50, you can install domopad and mount one of these to the back of a TV.

Bill
My Plugin: My People

Posted on
Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:45 pm
mundmc offline

Re: DomoPad on Raspberry Pi 3B

^Like

Posted on
Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:35 pm
RogueProeliator offline

That's good to hear -- I had experimented with this back with the Raspberry 2 and the experience was only so-so. The Pi 3 and 4 models are significantly better, however, and I didn't realize that Lineage had a build for it - that is pretty cool!

Posted on
Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:43 pm
whmoorejr offline

It's been running non-stop for me on a TV in my office for about 4 days now..... no issues, hang-ups, etc. I've power cycled it a couple times to make sure that it would automatically boot up directly to the control page (which it did). Getting a control page formatted to fit right is a little weird. I think it tries to auto-detect the tv screen resolution... but it's a little off.... just enough to cut off some stuff on the edges of the page.. Other than that, I'm really happy with it.

Bill
My Plugin: My People

Posted on
Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:19 am
mundmc offline

I spent so much time trying to figure out how to have indigo SSH to a raspberry pi and run a command line script to change the active fire fox or chromium window... pushing a Domopad page seems so much easier. Thanks for sharing this

Posted on
Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:50 am
RogueProeliator offline

Getting a control page formatted to fit right is a little weird. I think it tries to auto-detect the tv screen resolution... but it's a little off.... just enough to cut off some stuff on the edges of the page..

FWIW, I had that on my Pi running security camera display and there are some configuration settings in the /boot/config.txt file that can adjust/fix that.

Page 1 of 1