Android tablet recommendations

Posted on
Sun May 24, 2020 11:24 am
colinpartridge offline

Android tablet recommendations

I've been trying to run Domopad client on cheap Dragontouch 7" tablet. Ideally this tablet needs to be on all the time ( with dimming) since it's going to be a wall control panel, however even with power connected permanently to the tablet it doesn't charge fast enough to keep the tablet running. I've not had this issue with a ipad in a similar situation. Is this a common issue with these cheap tablets ? would I be better off with a Amazon Fire tablet. I'd be interested to know whether other people have experienced similar issues or could recommend a reliable brand ( I'm UK based).

Colin

Posted on
Sun May 24, 2020 9:55 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Re: Android tablet recommendations

I've been trying to run Domopad client on cheap Dragontouch 7" tablet. Ideally this tablet needs to be on all the time ( with dimming) since it's going to be a wall control panel, however even with power connected permanently to the tablet it doesn't charge fast enough to keep the tablet running. I've not had this issue with a ipad in a similar situation. Is this a common issue with these cheap tablets ? would I be better off with a Amazon Fire tablet. I'd be interested to know whether other people have experienced similar issues or could recommend a reliable brand ( I'm UK based).

No that isn't common, even cheap tablets should be capable of charging at a rate that will not drain the battery when in use; are you using the included charging cable and USB power? Most of the time the ones included with the cheap tablets are horrible. Try with a decent phone charger that is likely capable of higher output (faster charging).

Adam

Posted on
Sun May 24, 2020 10:01 pm
RogueProeliator offline

would I be better off with a Amazon Fire tablet.

I didn't address this... so a lot of people here are using Fire tablets but the setup is a little more involved -- you will need to install all the support software that Amazon removes from them; so it isn't as simple as going to the Play store and downloading. I haven't set one up from scratch in a while, so I am unsure of the current difficulty or complexity.

They aren't fast, but for the sub-$50 that you can often get them at, they aren't a bad value either.

Adam

Posted on
Mon May 25, 2020 12:01 pm
colinpartridge offline

Thanks for getting back to me Adam, I've tried using different chargers including an Anker 3A unit the Tablet pulls about 0.5A according to an inline current meter. I think I'm going to have to try another brand or maybe a de-commissioned android phone. I've got and old Asus Nexus that I'm going to try before committing any more time and money to this.

Cheers Colin

Page 1 of 1