Push notifications broken after migration/upgrade

Posted on
Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:17 pm
nathanw offline

Push notifications broken after migration/upgrade

I moved my Indigo install from one Mac running Indigo 7.1 (OSX 10.12) to a different Mac running Indigo 7.3 (and OSX 10.14). I also upgraded the DomoPad plugin to 2.2.6.

One thing that doesn't work is DomoPad push notifications. Turning debugging to High, here's what I see:

Code: Select all
Action Group                    test push notification
   Domotics Pad Mobile Client Threaddebug Queuing push notification command for 582671666
   Domotics Pad Mobile Client Threaddebug Plugin Command queue has 1 command(s) waiting
   Domotics Pad Mobile Client Threaddebug Push Notification Send Command: DevicePairID=6Vzcql7IdgYzPTcC5oYc; Type=critical; Message=Foo foo foo!
   Domotics Pad Mobile Client Threaddebug Push Notification Payload=action2Name=&action2Group=&notificationType=Alert&priority=critical&action1Group=&action1Name=&devicePairingId=6Vzcql7IdgYzPTcC5oYc&message=Foo+foo+foo%21
   Domotics Pad Mobile Client Threaddebug Push notification Response: [503] {
 "error": {
  "errors": [
   {
    "domain": "global",
    "reason": "backendError",
    "message": "com.google.android.gcm.server.InvalidRequestException: HTTP Status Code: 400"
   }
  ],
  "code": 503,
  "message": "com.google.android.gcm.server.InvalidRequestException: HTTP Status Code: 400"
 }
}
   Domotics Pad Mobile Client ErrorError sending push notification.

I un-paired my phone and re-paired it, but it still fails. Any thoughts?

Posted on
Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:06 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Re: Push notifications broken after migration/upgrade

I moved my Indigo install from one Mac running Indigo 7.1 (OSX 10.12) to a different Mac running Indigo 7.3 (and OSX 10.14). I also upgraded the DomoPad plugin to 2.2.6.

What version of the (Android) application are you running?

Posted on
Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:46 pm
nathanw offline

Android app version is 1.9.1, May 16 2019.

Posted on
Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:47 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Android app version is 1.9.1, May 16 2019.

I have not seen your particular error before, but I suspect you are running into the device holding onto a connection to the old push notification service that has been depreciated by Google. A couple of others have had to uninstall and reinstall the (Android) app to clear the old connection. That would be my first test... you would need to re-pair to Indigo, don't forget.

I'll look in the server logs, but pretty sure that error is coming from Google's servers which is what makes me think the notification is trying to hit an old (depreciated) messaging API.

Adam

Posted on
Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:04 am
nathanw offline

Hmm. OK, I uninstalled and reinstalled the app.

Didn't help the notifications, though.

I was surprised how much state was preserved (Indigo server settings, etc.). Where is that kept such that it persists across reinstalls? Maybe I should clear that and try a harder reinstall?

Posted on
Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:19 am
RogueProeliator offline

I was surprised how much state was preserved (Indigo server settings, etc.). Where is that kept such that it persists across reinstalls? Maybe I should clear that and try a harder reinstall

Hmm, I would not have expected those to remain unless Google backed up and restored them or maintained some level of settings -- the app doesn't maintain its settings in a particular location, it registers them with the OS to handle storage. Perhaps clear the data for the App, uninstall, reboot the phone, and reinstall.

This SHOULDN'T be required but a couple of users have reported vaguely-similar results... And given that you have more details (an error message posted, I can't be sure this will solve it as it did in the other cases. I've double checked push notifications on my end and I am indeed still receiving them just fine, so the service seems up and running.

Posted on
Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:40 pm
nathanw offline

OK, installing the app, clearing data from the Android app settings page, uninstalling, and reinstalling got me push notifications back.

That said, my settings were *still* re-populated. Not a problem, but I don't quite understand what I would need to do if I really did need a totally fresh start.

Posted on
Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:37 pm
RogueProeliator offline

That said, my settings were *still* re-populated. Not a problem, but I don't quite understand what I would need to do if I really did need a totally fresh start.

What device are you using? My only guess is that it is restoring it from backup -- Domotics Pad doesn't store anything outside of the application data folder and the settings are stored with the normal OS method (which allows backup/restore). I suppose what you did and then re-clearing the Application Data via the Application Manager is the cleanest "restart".

Page 1 of 1