Stuck in the Honeycomb

Posted on
Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:04 am
Different Computers offline

Stuck in the Honeycomb

Apologies for being off topic, but this is the audience that might have an answer for me.

A Galaxy Tab GT-P7510 running Honeycomb 3.1 has come into my hands and the hardware is pristine. Unfortunately the software is just about useless--can't log in to the software update as I get "your country is unsupported" error, so can't add anything.

I'm looking first for any hints about how I might update this after the internet proved no help. And second, if I can't update it, anyone have ideas how I could use this as more than a rather limited web page display?

thanks!

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:04 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Re: Stuck in the Honeycomb

I'm looking first for any hints about how I might update this after the internet proved no help. And second, if I can't update it, anyone have ideas how I could use this as more than a rather limited web page display?

Probably your only option to get up to a decent version is going to be to unlock the bootloader, root the device, and install a custom recovery... then that will allow you to install a custom ROM built on, say, Nougat. That is a pretty old device and I didn't see much available past that on a quick search.

That is a decent amount of work to do but there should be some scripts out there that you can run with it connected to your computer via USB in debug mode. Most older devices have an unlock / root method that has been scripted. Anything you find from XDA (forums.xda-developers.com) should be safe and pretty solid.

As @Ianbrown said, you need at least 4.4, I would consider Android 5.0 (Lollipop) a minimum really.

Posted on
Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:03 am
Different Computers offline

Re: Stuck in the Honeycomb

Thanks for the advice and links. I did find some references to Honeycomb/my model Tab and Odin, so I think it can work.

Also good to know that choosing to root my device isn't necessarily risking me giving some root kit writer access too.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Page 1 of 1