DomoPad speak feature requests

Posted on
Sat May 18, 2019 3:33 am
lochnesz offline

DomoPad speak feature requests

Hi Adam,

I love your text-to-speach feature! I have two feature requests to make it even better :-)

- Being able to also send non-English characters with the action (in my case åäö). I get a Unicode error in the log trying to send other characters.
- Being able to send variables, for example time announcements such as %H %M, or text from an indigo variable.

Thanks!
Peter

Posted on
Sat May 18, 2019 7:10 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Re: DomoPad speak feature requests

Hmm, there shouldn't be a restriction on the unicode characters -- may be a bug/omission in the plugin, so I will check on that. Other notifications support them, I guess just had an oversight.

I'll see about substitution - that is a great idea and pretty easy to implement.

Adam

Posted on
Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:15 pm
mundmc offline

^
+1 to this!

Posted on
Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:07 pm
RogueProeliator offline

- Being able to also send non-English characters with the action (in my case åäö). I get a Unicode error in the log trying to send other characters.
- Being able to send variables, for example time announcements such as %H %M, or text from an indigo variable.

Just posted a new version of the plugin with both of these in place... In my limited testing the unicode characters came through & were spoken without issue, but let me know if you run into any further ones!

Adam

Posted on
Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:08 pm
mundmc offline

Thanks @RogueProeliator! Gonna try when i get home. My Domopad announcements have been functioning, albeit static.

Posted on
Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:50 am
lochnesz offline

Hi Adam,

Unicode characters doesn't generate the error any more, however they are shown as question marks on the DomoPad client side, hence not spoken.

Also substitutions are not spoken, only read as the actual characters for example %d/%m spoken as percent d percent m.

I am on android version 6.0.

Peter

Posted on
Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:16 am
lochnesz offline

Just tested with my Samsung S9 with Android 9, same result as above.

Peter

Posted on
Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:23 am
RogueProeliator offline

It was working in my test, but I can verify tonight... strange with the substitution as it sounds like it didn't get processed at all; I test that with both a device state and a variable value. What exact string did you use?

Posted on
Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:00 am
RogueProeliator offline

Unicode characters doesn't generate the error any more, however they are shown as question marks on the DomoPad client side, hence not spoken.

Also substitutions are not spoken, only read as the actual characters for example %d/%m spoken as percent d percent m.

I did some testing and memory refreshing -- when you say that show up as question marks, are you seeing them as notifications in the shade and/or the envelope/notifications area of Domotics Pad? Because the spoken notification, at least if Domotics Pad is up, do not show up there. If they are, I think the device may still be attached to the old notification service which does not have the spoken announcement code.

I just tested a couple of scenarios -- but honestly I don't know what the characters should sound like since it isn't English, Latin, or maybe some Japanese :-) However, the variable substitution definitely came through fine using:
Code: Select all
Test ås %%v:4901968%%

Let me know if it is showing in the notification area as that might affect our debug approach.

Adam

Posted on
Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:02 pm
lochnesz offline

Okay, so substitutions work for both devices and variables. System variables, such as %H %M, doesn't work, but maybe I am not using the correct syntax.
However, regarding non-English characters, it appears as if there is some kind of character of some kind added which makes the TTS in the client behave strange. Some combinations work, but with a pause before the word, and some combinations doesn't work, and the TTS reads out "question mark" (in Swedish) in some cases. My guess is that there is a "hidden" character messing up the text string.

The debug log states "Domotics Pad Mobile Client DebugSpeak announcement notification sent successfully"

Posted on
Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:27 pm
RogueProeliator offline

However, regarding non-English characters, it appears as if there is some kind of character of some kind added which makes the TTS in the client behave strange. Some combinations work, but with a pause before the word, and some combinations doesn't work, and the TTS reads out "question mark" (in Swedish) in some cases. My guess is that there is a "hidden" character messing up the text string.

Did you ever send me the exact string/characters which cause an issue? I was looking for it this week and if you did, I have misplaced it. Would you mind sending it along (if it is easier in email, that is fine too).

Adam

Page 1 of 1