Web Content on Control Pages Alpha Test

Posted on
Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:24 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Web Content on Control Pages Alpha Test

I have an alpha-level version of Domotics Pad which has a crap-ton of behind-the-scenes changes; one that is front and center, though, is an alpha feature allowing the display of web content on a control page (the rough equivalent to an IFRAME on a webpage).

I don't promise this feature or anything in here won't have some bugs, but thus far seems okay. This feature, in particular, seems to do okay, though there are some quirks on the pages being displayed -- mostly in my limited testing of the target web pages seeing a small area to display. Thus, I need a couple of people who would use this feature to help me out testing some of their wish-list scenarios. Some things we might be able to work around, some perhaps not as it may be completely controlled by the source website. But only getting a few people in here will tell us.

SO, any couple of people want to try it out and give feedback? Terry, I got a spot reserved for you if you are interested...

Adam

Posted on
Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:25 am
roussell offline

Re: Web Content on Control Pages Alpha Test

Absolutely Adam, sign me up! I’ll be happy to help test. I’ve had a lot of ideas on the back burner so it’ll be fun playing around with the possibilities

Terry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:37 am
mat offline

Adam,

Happy to test if I can find some time......

Mat

Late 2018 mini 10.14

Posted on
Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:42 am
racarter offline

+1 for volunteers :)

Posted on
Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:13 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Are you guys all signed up through the beta (through Google Play)? I need to do a bit more testing, but hope to release this to you guys this coming weekend.

To display the web content on the page, here is what you will do (it is pretty simple):
  1. Create an image in the size of the web content you want to show on screen; in Domotics Pad, this image will be replaced with your web content while the image itself will show for non-DP clients such as the web and Indigo Touch.
  2. Create a variable that will control which webpage is loading in the view... this will control the initial load AND may be updated which will cause a navigation on the view in DP.
  3. Create an element on your control page to display the variable as an image and select the image from Step 1
  4. Set the Caption of this element to "DP:WebView" (no quotes). This is what triggers the app to show the content. I suggest setting the caption in the middle of the image (Centered on Control) for non-DP clients; in DP this caption will of course not be rendered.
This is the least invasive and easiest method I could come up with to configure the content, allow changes from the server, and not too negatively effect other clients if they happened to load the page.

Adam

Posted on
Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:58 am
roussell offline

Thanks Adam, I am on the Beta cycle.

In your directions, what ties the variable created in step 2 to the webview in step 4? Is there a particular name for the variable, or a reference to it with the DP:WebView caption?

Terry

Posted on
Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:10 am
RogueProeliator offline

In your directions, what ties the variable created in step 2 to the webview in step 4? Is there a particular name for the variable, or a reference to it with the DP:WebView caption?

When you create the control page element, you choose "Display Variable Value" and select the variable, then choose the "As Image" option and select your placeholder (which again is only used for sizing and placeholder). The caption of "DP:WebView" is what triggers the application to actually make the swap instead of displaying the literal image.

Posted on
Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:26 am
roussell offline

Gotcha, forgot about the “display as image” option. Thanks man, looking forward to playing with this!

Posted on
Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:05 am
minisoft.ca offline

+1 for volunteers :)

Posted on
Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:56 am
RogueProeliator offline

I added this to the beta channel last night... keep in mind this is the first run of this feature. :-)

A few notes about this beta (or maybe alpha, who knows...):
  • The minimum Android OS version has been upped slightly to SDK 18 which is Jelly Bean
  • The crash reporting was completely redone, one side effect is that the report won't be sent until the next time the program launches
  • The setup wizard works decent but is a work-in-progress... if you have issues you can choose the Manual Setup option on the main page and it will bring you to the old style settings (note this only should come into play if you setup Domotics Pad "fresh", not on an upgrade)
  • Full upgrade notes/notifications are not yet in, you can confirm you have the latest on the slide out menu - should show v1.7

Posted on
Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:09 pm
racarter offline

Working beautifully! :)

Posted on
Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:32 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Hey all... I've identified two crash points, both related to updating the app to support the latest OSes:

UI Hints on v4.4.x Devices
The switch to use vector based graphics caused and issue on devices running 4.4.x when showing the UI hints (the first time going to Devices, Variables, etc. screens). I have a fix for this, but temporarily you can turn off the UI hints in settings. Alternatively, the hint should be marked as shown and re-visiting the screen likely will let it through without crashing. This only affects new setups (or uninstall / reinstall).

Status Updater on v8.0+
Detected this on my Pixel, but looks like any Android 8+ device will be affected... with the new libraries I am having to change how the status updater runs (due to Oreo's limits on background processes, for those interested). I am working on a fix, but turning off the Status Updates will solve it in the short term.

Adam

Posted on
Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:23 pm
norcoscia offline

Looking forward to trying this once I can get it without being on the GP beta program. I'll subscribe so I see updates, thx for making such a great plug-in!

_______
Norm

Posted on
Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:45 pm
siclark offline

I'm keen on this too. Just as couple of questions. Will this work on fire tablets, I see some issues with Android versions above.
Also has anyone tried this with Grafana webpages yet?
I'm trying to decide whether to just use Grafana kiosk mode in a kiosk app, or domopad. Domopad is most control but it's much easier for me to set up complex dashboards in Grafana.

Posted on
Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:23 pm
RogueProeliator offline

I'm keen on this too. Just as couple of questions. Will this work on fire tablets, I see some issues with Android versions above.
Also has anyone tried this with Grafana webpages yet?

It should run on the Fire tablets just fine once the kinks in the version are worked out. In theory, if you have a tabbed interface type control page you could have a Grafana page that is nearly full screen within DomoPad. However, if you are ONLY displaying that and never using control, a full screen web page might suffice (sans DomoPad).