Unable to pair plugin (v2.2.1) w/ Android Device (v1.6.1)

Posted on
Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:34 am
duanel offline

Unable to pair plugin (v2.2.1) w/ Android Device (v1.6.1)

I've been unable to pair my Note 8 with the Domotics Pad Mobile Client plugin. I've been using domopad casually for a while (Ultimate FTW) and Android is now my primary mobile OS, so the plugin is a new install. Tapping "pair" results in "Action successfully sent", but the status remains "not paired." I've tried "Clear pairing" and removing/ re-adding the device to no avail.

I've also noticed that _some_ variable status images in my control pages never update to "true" (*+true.png files) in native mode, but work fine in web mode... if that's unrelated, I'll start a new thread.

Posted on
Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:47 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Re: Unable to pair plugin (v2.2.1) w/ Android Device (v1.6.1

I've been unable to pair my Note 8 with the Domotics Pad Mobile Client plugin. I've been using domopad casually for a while (Ultimate FTW) and Android is now my primary mobile OS, so the plugin is a new install. Tapping "pair" results in "Action successfully sent", but the status remains "not paired." I've tried "Clear pairing" and removing/ re-adding the device to no avail.

The most common cause of this is when you have the device open in Indigo -- I know it is intuitive that you would have it open during pairing, but alas that is not how it works at the moment. So, make sure no devices are open in Indigo and try again. If it still fails, do you see any errors in the Indigo logs?

I've also noticed that _some_ variable status images in my control pages never update to "true" (*+true.png files) in native mode, but work fine in web mode... if that's unrelated, I'll start a new thread.

In your control page editor, have you selected the image ending in + for your image? For instance, you images should be named:
MyStatusImage+.png
MyStatusImage+true.png
MyStatusImage+false.png

... and you want the first as the selection in the control page editor.

I'm sure we can get you going, just may take a bit of sleuthing. And incidentally I am slightly jealous of the Note 8. :-)

Adam

Posted on
Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:35 am
duanel offline

Thanks Adam,

I appreciate the guidance. I don't see any errors (tested with both error level high and low) when trying to pair and I re-tried with both the device "closed" in Indigo and with the Indigo UI closed (quit the UI app). My device is communicating with standard Indigo just fine both with regular controls and even geofence-triggered action groups. In case it matters, I'm using IS X 10.11.6 (El Cap).

The (unrelated) image status issue was fixed when I added the "+" to the initial image filename... so I have that working now, but can't explain why SOME of my control images work without the "+" in the initial filename?! Oh well. It's easy enough to update them as needed. In the test control page image below, the power button icon (red arrow) does not have "+" in the initial filename. The small indicator (yellow arrow) did not have the "+" either and did not work. I promise I won't obsess over it, but wanted to share in case it leads to a new discovery.

Double unrelated: the Note 8 is very nice (check out swappa for lightly used deals ). Apart from a 6-month affair with a Nexus 5, I've been an iOS/Mac OS guy for decades and have finally switched to Android/Windows (apart from my Indigo server) and don't see myself turning back. The Note's battery life is very impressive, though smaller than the S8. I use the S Pen far more frequently than I expected and the device is incredibly fast. (Bixby is kind of useless, though...)

Posted on
Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:56 pm
RogueProeliator offline

I appreciate the guidance. I don't see any errors (tested with both error level high and low) when trying to pair and I re-tried with both the device "closed" in Indigo and with the Indigo UI closed (quit the UI app). My device is communicating with standard Indigo just fine both with regular controls and even geofence-triggered action groups. In case it matters, I'm using IS X 10.11.6 (El Cap).

Three things that you might try to help us narrow down where the issue is occurring:
1. Restart the plugin and look for errors or messages; specifically any issues regarding unable to update the IWS plugin
2. Go to http://[indigoip]:8176/ in a browser and see if "Android Client Helper Plugin" is shown at the bottom
3. Do you have any TiVo, Roku, iTunes, or Timer devices? If so, attempt to control them via the Devices list (those should go through the same communications mechanism as the pairing)

Double unrelated: the Note 8 is very nice (check out swappa for lightly used deals ). Apart from a 6-month affair with a Nexus 5, I've been an iOS/Mac OS guy for decades and have finally switched to Android/Windows (apart from my Indigo server) and don't see myself turning back. The Note's battery life is very impressive, though smaller than the S8. I use the S Pen far more frequently than I expected and the device is incredibly fast. (Bixby is kind of useless, though...)

I've always envied the pen, but never could decide if I would use it a lot or not. I may test the waters with the Pixelbook if I can sneak it past the financing committee. May Xmas! I've been a Nexus/Pixel customer the last few years and really happy with those, except the Pixel 2 XL isn't enough of an upgrade to have me spend the money. 2016 Pixel XL still screaming fast for me.

Posted on
Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:43 pm
duanel offline

Sorry it's been so long since my last reply. I'm still not able to get my Note 8 to pair, but I do see errors when restarting the plugin... seems like the errors are common though and possible unrelated based on my search findings:

1. Restart the plugin and look for errors or messages; specifically any issues regarding unable to update the IWS plugin

Code: Select all
Feb 16, 2018, 4:22:59 PM
   Reloading plugin "Domotics Pad Mobile Client 2.1.1"
   Stopping plugin "Domotics Pad Mobile Client 2.1.1" (pid 4523)
   Domotics Pad Mobile Client DebugEntering deviceStopComm for Duane Note 8; ID=1335301674
   Domotics Pad Mobile Client DebugExiting deviceStopComm for Duane Note 8
   Domotics Pad Mobile Client ErrorError in plugin execution shutdown:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "plugin.py", line 103, in shutdown
AttributeError: 'Plugin' object has no attribute 'socketServer'

Stopped plugin "Domotics Pad Mobile Client 2.1.1"
   Starting plugin "Domotics Pad Mobile Client 2.1.1" (pid 4663)
   Domotics Pad Mobile Client Threaddebug Initializing RPFrameworkPlugin
   Domotics Pad Mobile Client DebugBeginning processing of RPFrameworkConfig.xml file
   Domotics Pad Mobile Client Threaddebug Found plugin param: indigoPort
   Domotics Pad Mobile Client Threaddebug Found plugin setting: remoteCommandPort=9176
   Domotics Pad Mobile Client Threaddebug Found plugin setting: pluginCommandQueueIdleSleep=3
   Domotics Pad Mobile Client Threaddebug Found device mapping; id: domoPadAndroidClient to class: DomoPadAndroidClient
   Domotics Pad Mobile Client Threaddebug Found device mapping; id: domoPadVideoFeed to class: VideoCameraFeed
   Domotics Pad Mobile Client Threaddebug Created device parameter for managed device "domoPadVideoFeed": videoFeedUrl
   Domotics Pad Mobile Client Threaddebug Found managed action: sendPushNotification
   Domotics Pad Mobile Client Threaddebug Processing 2 params for action
   Domotics Pad Mobile Client Threaddebug Created parameter for managed action "sendPushNotification": message
   Domotics Pad Mobile Client Threaddebug Created parameter for managed action "sendPushNotification": importanceLevel
   Domotics Pad Mobile Client Threaddebug Found managed action: sendControlPageDisplayNotification
   Domotics Pad Mobile Client Threaddebug Processing 1 params for action
   Domotics Pad Mobile Client Threaddebug Created parameter for managed action "sendControlPageDisplayNotification": controlPageId
   Domotics Pad Mobile Client DebugSuccessfully completed processing of RPFrameworkConfig.xml file
   Started plugin "Domotics Pad Mobile Client 2.1.1"
   Domotics Pad Mobile Client Threaddebug Returning default GUIConfigValue for plugin:databaseConnectionEnabled
   Domotics Pad Mobile Client Threaddebug Database access enabled:
   Domotics Pad Mobile Client Threaddebug Database access has been disabled, skipping connection
   Domotics Pad Mobile Client ErrorFailed to retrieve current IWS plugin version:
   Domotics Pad Mobile Client DebugCurrent IWS Plugin: v0.0
   Domotics Pad Mobile Client DebugIncluded IWS Plugin: v1.2
   Domotics Pad Mobile Client      Performing update of DomoPads IWS plugin...
   Domotics Pad Mobile Client      Source IWS directory: /Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7/Plugins/DomoPad Mobile Client Plugin.indigoPlugin/Contents/Server Plugin/AndroidClientHelper
   Domotics Pad Mobile Client      Target IWS directory: /Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7/IndigoWebServer/plugins/AndroidClientHelper
   Domotics Pad Mobile Client      AndroidClientHelper successfully installed/updated. Restarting Indigo IWS server to complete install.
   Domotics Pad Mobile Client ErrorError in plugin execution:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "plugin.py", line 88, in startup
    self.socketServer = ThreadedTCPServer((host, port), ThreadedTCPRequestHandler)
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/SocketServer.py", line 420, in __init__
    self.server_bind()
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/SocketServer.py", line 434, in server_bind
    self.socket.bind(self.server_address)
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/socket.py", line 228, in meth
    return getattr(self._sock,name)(*args)
error: [Errno 48] Address already in use

Domotics Pad Mobile Client DebugEntering deviceStartComm for Duane Note 8; ID=1335301674
   Domotics Pad Mobile Client DebugExiting deviceStartComm for Duane Note 8
   Domotics Pad Mobile Client DebugVersion check initiated
   Domotics Pad Mobile Client      Checking for updates...
   Domotics Pad Mobile Client DebugPlugin version detected: 2.1.1
   Domotics Pad Mobile Client DebugCurrent version is: 2.1.1
   Domotics Pad Mobile Client DebugGetting latest release from RogueProeliator/DomoPad-Plugin...
   Domotics Pad Mobile Client DebugGET /repos/RogueProeliator/DomoPad-Plugin/releases/latest
   Domotics Pad Mobile Client DebugHTTP 200 OK
   Domotics Pad Mobile Client DebugLatest release is: 2.1.1
   Domotics Pad Mobile Client      No updates are available

2. Go to http://[indigoip]:8176/ in a browser and see if "Android Client Helper Plugin" is shown at the bottom

It does, indeed.

3. Do you have any TiVo, Roku, iTunes, or Timer devices? If so, attempt to control them via the Devices list (those should go through the same communications mechanism as the pairing)

I do use the Roku and iTunes control plugins and they work really well... no weirdness there.

Unrelated, did you end up getting a Pixelbook?

Posted on
Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:51 pm
RogueProeliator offline

I'm still not able to get my Note 8 to pair, but I do see errors when restarting the plugin... seems like the errors are common though and possible unrelated based on my search findings:

So I found this thread buried in my "get back to" list on a seldom-used device... was this ever resolved? If not, my apologies and we can take a look...

Unrelated, did you end up getting a Pixelbook?

I did and I love it... have it running the Chrome OS apps (mostly custom web apps of course), Android apps from the Play Store, and full Linux (Ubuntu) apps side-by-side. No significant problems at all. Battery life is good (hard to judge this too much, it goes from "okay" when I do a lot of Clash of Clans to "great" when mostly web involved :)), the pen is pretty cool though a bit niche, the hardware is top notch.

Adam

Posted on
Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:25 am
duanel offline

For what its worth, I resolved this issue by using the default port (8176) instead of a custom port. I try to avoid default ports whenever possible for security reasons... but in this case, returning to the default port allowed me to pair. I had DomoPad configured to use the custom port, so the pairing method in the app might be hard coded to use the default port instead of the value saved in settings.

Posted on
Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:49 pm
RogueProeliator offline

For what its worth, I resolved this issue by using the default port (8176) instead of a custom port. I try to avoid default ports whenever possible for security reasons... but in this case, returning to the default port allowed me to pair. I had DomoPad configured to use the custom port, so the pairing method in the app might be hard coded to use the default port instead of the value saved in settings.

It is not designed to be that way, but that isn't to say there could not be a bug in there -- actually, now that I think about it the plugin receiving the action could potentially be at fault too in that case. I'll do some investigation -- thank you very much for the followup report!

Adam

Page 1 of 1