Amazon Prime Fire Tablet Sale

Posted on
Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:13 am
norcoscia offline

Re: Amazon Prime Fire Tablet Sale

I thought there were issues using the fire for Indigo - do you just use the browser view? If not - how to you load the control program (domopad?)

_______
Norm

Posted on
Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:16 am
RogueProeliator offline

My daughter uses all Fire-based games available through the Kids-edition so no syncing with Google Play there. I'll be happy to try something, but I'm at work now and without a Fire nearby so it would be this evening...

Don't worry about it -- for that price, he can have the tablet and I think it will work fine... if not, still a good tablet. Thanks!

Posted on
Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:26 am
RogueProeliator offline

I have control pages setup and run fine with Indigo Touch and my iPad. But know zip about Android, getting Android apps onto Fire Tablets (is "side loading" still necessary), etc.

In order to get the Play Store on the Fire, you download and install them manually -- but it is very well documented, including the links to use to install them. Once on there, you can install any application from the Play store normally through the store app.

Will Indigo control pages that work on my iPad via Indigo Touch work the same on a Fire using DomoPad? Or do I need to create new control page versions for the Fire? Also, are there any issues getting DomoPad loaded onto a Fire?

The pages themselves will work no problem - the only issue might be that if the resolutions differ the aspect ratio may be off a tad bit. Sometimes this is not an issue at all, sometimes you may need to adjust the spacing a bit. For instance, when I changed devices here last time I only needed to move my bottom controls up a tad bit to accommodate (they were partially off screen), then the pages continued to work for multiple devices.

I've heard of many people, though, who have separate control pages for consoles/tablets that stay in the house. Totally up to you.

Adam

Posted on
Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:31 am
roussell offline

yassi wrote:
That's what I also wanted to ask too.
Do we need to hack the Fire somehow to get Domopad running on them?

Yassi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No hacks needed. Can't link at the moment, but search the forum for a post where I document how to do it, it seriously takes 10 minutes from start to finish. The basic steps are to download and install the 4 Google APKs associated with the Play Store, in order, using the Amazon browser. After that's done, you have Google play just like a "regular" Android tablet and can install anything you want, including Domopad. Domopad does everything that Indigo Touch does, and SO much more.

Terry

Posted on
Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:35 am
citysnaps offline

RogueProeliator wrote:
I have control pages setup and run fine with Indigo Touch and my iPad. But know zip about Android, getting Android apps onto Fire Tablets (is "side loading" still necessary), etc.

In order to get the Play Store on the Fire, you download and install them manually -- but it is very well documented, including the links to use to install them. Once on there, you can install any application from the Play store normally through the store app.

Will Indigo control pages that work on my iPad via Indigo Touch work the same on a Fire using DomoPad? Or do I need to create new control page versions for the Fire? Also, are there any issues getting DomoPad loaded onto a Fire?

The pages themselves will work no problem - the only issue might be that if the resolutions differ the aspect ratio may be off a tad bit. Sometimes this is not an issue at all, sometimes you may need to adjust the spacing a bit. For instance, when I changed devices here last time I only needed to move my bottom controls up a tad bit to accommodate (they were partially off screen), then the pages continued to work for multiple devices.

I've heard of many people, though, who have separate control pages for consoles/tablets that stay in the house. Totally up to you.

Adam

Great! Thanks for the information - appreciate it!

Brad
Urban photoblog: www.citysnaps.net

Posted on
Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:36 am
norcoscia offline

One more question - does the cheaper option (with special offers) cause any headaches - or will it work just as well - I don't want it to jump out of the control program and start showing advertisements or any other issues....

_______
Norm

Posted on
Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:37 am
yassi offline

roussell wrote:
yassi wrote:
That's what I also wanted to ask too.
Do we need to hack the Fire somehow to get Domopad running on them?

Yassi

Terry, thanks a lot gor the information!

Yassi

No hacks needed. Can't link at the moment, but search the forum for a post where I document how to do it, it seriously takes 10 minutes from start to finish. The basic steps are to download and install the 4 Google APKs associated with the Play Store, in order, using the Amazon browser. After that's done, you have Google play just like a "regular" Android tablet and can install anything you want, including Domopad. Domopad does everything that Indigo Touch does, and SO much more.

Terry

Posted on
Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:53 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

roussell wrote:
jay (support) wrote:
durosity wrote:
Aha.. i knew it.. I thought one of you two were Jeff Bezos!

Must be Terry, everyone knows Adam is actually Larry Page...

I always thought myself more of an Elon Musk!

In that case, I'm waiting for my Tesla...

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:57 am
Different Computers offline

I'm was in the same boat as you guys--100% iOS guy since I switched from a Blackberry around the time of the 3Gs. So I didn't know a damn thing about Android.

The instructions here (or links here to instructions) in this forum were all I needed to side load the Play store on a Fire. I didn't even get angrily frustrated like I do when I have to troubleshoot something in Windows!

For static use where you're using it more as a dedicated control pad or monitor, DomoPad with its ability to received pushed pages from Indigo really is superior to Indigo Touch.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:31 am
roussell offline

jay (support) wrote:
In that case, I'm waiting for my Tesla...

Thanks for the request! It's on the list, but no ETA... :wink: :lol:

Terry

Posted on
Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:33 am
RogueProeliator offline

Thanks for the request! It's on the list, but no ETA... :wink: :lol:

It's early still here, but I'm calling it now... Terry wins the internet for today!

Posted on
Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:36 am
roussell offline

norcoscia wrote:
One more question - does the cheaper option (with special offers) cause any headaches - or will it work just as well - I don't want it to jump out of the control program and start showing advertisements or any other issues....

Not really - it shows a targeted full-screen ad when the tablet is on the lock screen. That's the only time you notice any difference between the ones with/without "special offers". There is currently no way to disable the lock screen on any of them, but if you are using this as a dedicated Indigo device, after you unlock it, you will rarely see the lock screen (and ads) again. I have some with and some without the lock screen ads and never see the difference unless there is an extended power outage, forcing me to walk around and swipe-to-unlock them.

Also, you can pay the $15 at anytime after making the initial device purchase to remove the lock screen ads if they start bothering you. It's done through the device management section in Amazon.

Terry

Posted on
Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:46 am
norcoscia offline

Thanks Terry!

_______
Norm